OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: New Quarter Backs for the Handball team!

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
He’s trying to hold the organization hostage over it too…they absolutely should not resign him for another two years at his age…disappointing…he’s being paid $16M this season at his age and that’s a good coin

He's being paid more than that, he gets 22.4m for this season.

But that's kind of besides the point. Him sitting out OTAs is a pretty milquetoast form of hostage taking. It's pretty common. I'm not going to get up in arms about him doing it.

That commenter has such "My Uncle works at Nintendo vibes." I can't take seriously anyone who's source is basically "Trust me, I heard it" and their absolute complete bias against someone screaming through their narrative to the point they can't even call Tomlin by name.

On the one hand, yeah - although isn't pretty much everybody's source on these sorts of things, trust me, I heard it? It's not like Kaboly or Dulac or whoever are producing transcripts or audio recordings to back up their stuff like "Rudolph u-turned when he heard about Wilson".

On the other... it just sounds credible to me. I'm not saying it's what happened, but I'd be completely unshocked if someone produced hard evidence that it did.

Not to mention, most of it is corroborated by the team's public statements and beat reporters. We know the Steelers dramatically changed their tune on Pickett and Rudolph because we heard them do it. Their initial quotes on Johnson and their later actions don't exactly match up either. We've been told Heyward was internally pro-Wilson. We've been told the Steelers promised Wilson the starter's role, although that's been refused, and we know he's been put in pole position for it in an org where pole position rarely loses. And obviously we know Pickett and Rudolph chose to be elsewhere.

In fact the only part of it's that new is the idea that Heyward said "make changes or I go". Which, yeah, sounds plausible enough.

Tbh, I mainly threw it out there because I thought it'd be fun to post the completely unsubstantiated rumour posted in the very sensationalistic way... but looking closer, 80% of it is the story we've already heard.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

But that's kind of besides the point. Him sitting out OTAs is a pretty milquetoast form of hostage taking. It's pretty common. I'm not going to get up in arms about him doing it.

On the one hand, yeah - although isn't pretty much everybody's source on these sorts of things, trust me, I heard it? It's not like Kaboly or Dulac or whoever are producing transcripts or audio recordings to back up their stuff like "Rudolph u-turned when he heard about Wilson".

On the other... it just sounds credible to me. I'm not saying it's what happened, but I'd be completely unshocked if someone produced hard evidence that it did.

Not to mention, most of it is corroborated by the team's public statements and beat reporters. We know the Steelers dramatically changed their tune on Pickett and Rudolph because we heard them do it. Their initial quotes on Johnson and their later actions don't exactly match up either. We've been told Heyward was internally pro-Wilson. We've been told the Steelers promised Wilson the starter's role, although that's been refused, and we know he's been put in pole position for it in an org where pole position rarely loses. And obviously we know Pickett and Rudolph chose to be elsewhere.

In fact the only part of it's that new is the idea that Heyward said "make changes or I go". Which, yeah, sounds plausible enough.

Tbh, I mainly threw it out there because I thought it'd be fun to post the completely unsubstantiated rumour posted in the very sensationalistic way... but looking closer, 80% of it is the story we've already heard.
His cap hit is $22M because of restructuring. Actual $ paid Cam this season is $16M

Reactions: Peat

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I hate these "strength of schedule" bits in May. Go back 1 year ago when the schedule was released and tell me SOS. Some teams overperform due to expectations and others under-perform.

This tweet was more about the unprecedented amount of divisional games in the back half of the season, but I hear your point. Sharp uses Vegas projected win totals instead of 2023 W/L record, which I think is better process.

Last years for reference:
1715884675497.png

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
All predictions are obviously inaccurate but at the same time, if you could wave a magic wand to get a softer SoS you would, right? Yeah things go wonky but you'd still rather not have, I dunno, Eagles-Ravens-Chiefs in 11 days or whatever the hell it isn't.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Also its the middle of May, what the hell else are we supposed to talk about :laugh:. Schedule release day has somehow become a thing.

Steelers did a dad joke video with James Harrison that was kind of funny. Chargers social media team is still the GOAT.

Rave7215

Mar 12, 2010

You and I have a very different definition of credible then. Coming from an academic background, when the information is so clearly coming from a biased standpoint, it calls into question the motive.

You are right, 80% of this is known. It's the 20% that this commenter made up to put the pieces together that I'm calling into question. It's not hard to make wild assumptions and make up stories about that last 20%. This guy clearly has an agenda against Tomlin, can't cite his source, and thus is not credible. Fun story though.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
You and I have a very different definition of credible then. Coming from an academic background, when the information is so clearly coming from a biased standpoint, it calls into question the motive.

You are right, 80% of this is known. It's the 20% that this commenter made up to put the pieces together that I'm calling into question. It's not hard to make wild assumptions and make up stories about that last 20%. This guy clearly has an agenda against Tomlin, can't cite his source, and thus is not credible. Fun story though.

I don't find the source credible; I find the story credible.

The source is equivalent to to a fat drunk in a bar telling you he was the first man into Osama's cave.

The story is credible insofar as I'm saying "yeah I wouldn't be surprised". I don't definitely believe it but it's plausible. The only thing that'd surprise me is if Tomlin really had a thing against Rudolph because if he did, who kept signing him?

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
All predictions are obviously inaccurate but at the same time, if you could wave a magic wand to get a softer SoS you would, right? Yeah things go wonky but you'd still rather not have, I dunno, Eagles-Ravens-Chiefs in 11 days or whatever the hell it isn't.

Yea it'd be an interesting data dive to do ANTICIPATED vs ACTUAL sos over the years to see how things really panned out.

And agree that it's May so not much else to talk about :)

Reactions: Goalie_Bob and Peat

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Looking at this roster, the Steelers are getting into a mode where if they could trade a pick in 2025 for a player...they should seriously consider doing that. If not this year, definitely 2025 offseason with 2026 picks.

We have about 3-4 more good years of TJ and Minkah. We have to get after it. Right now established > potential.

why are you bringing me into this conversation? :wally
Go back to your f***ing hole! It isn't September yet!

Reactions: The Old Master

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Silver lining of that schedule- could put an end finally to that stupid, meaningless, damaging, streak once and for all.
Then I'd never have to hear about the stupid, meaningless streak again. 😁

No coach in NFL history has excelled at being mediocre better than Tomlin, and I’m not trying to be a smart ass.

When you have a historical playoff drought, haven’t done anything meaningful in well over a decade, yet still have a majority of the media praising how you are a HOF in waiting coach, that’s some legendary wool over the eyes shit.

Tomlin will find a way to get his nine wins.

Betting against him not being able to be mediocre is like betting against Mahomes in the playoffs.

Reactions: Andy99 and Ulf5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad