Slovakia: The Slovak Hockey Transactions and News Thread

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Patrik Zackrisson, Jonas Junland, Karl Fabricius, Staffan Kronwall, Martin Thörnberg, Mikko Mäenpää, Niclas Lucenius, Teemu Lassila, Tuukka Mäntylä, Tuomas Tarkki, Mikko Lehtonen, Pasi Puistola, Juuso Hietanen, Pekka Tuokkola, Jakub Petruzalek, Martin Ruzicka, Petr Vrana, Lukas Krajicek, HC LEV guys, all came to KHL last summer. All belonged to best players of national leagues last season. You have to know that there is limited space for non-russians in KHL, not everybody can play here

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
If Zaborsky scores 40(+) goals and/or plays a good WC-tournament I'd lean towards the NHL since he has said that it is his goal.

But at this point both (NHL and KHL) are a possibility.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
More info on that one? Hope he gets a decent contract in the NHL, going to KHL would be...well, just lame. That wouldn't be a step forward in his career, except ofcourse for his wallet. I'm starting to think the level of play in KHL might be "a bit" overrated nowadays, seeing the likes of Jakub Petruzalek and Petr Vrana completely DESTROYING the league, both of the guys who were only good second liners in AHL/SM-Liiga/Cze Extraliga...

To be fair both Vrana and Petruzalek are still progressing and that's what palyers do when having breakthrough season.

Ciccarelli

Uncle Gelart
Dec 17, 2005
Patrik Zackrisson, Jonas Junland, Karl Fabricius, Staffan Kronwall, Martin Thörnberg, Mikko Mäenpää, Niclas Lucenius, Teemu Lassila, Tuukka Mäntylä, Tuomas Tarkki, Mikko Lehtonen, Pasi Puistola, Juuso Hietanen, Pekka Tuokkola, Jakub Petruzalek, Martin Ruzicka, Petr Vrana, Lukas Krajicek, HC LEV guys, all came to KHL last summer. All belonged to best players of national leagues last season. You have to know that there is limited space for non-russians in KHL, not everybody can play here

You mentioned in your previous post that all the best players in Europe go to KHL, I gave you an example proving otherwise. With that list of players you did not prove me wrong. That is a bunch of pretty good hockey players, but still, there are loads of better hockey players than that playing in every top European hockey league.

IMHO the best option for Zaborsky would be taking a two way deal (if and probably when a one way contract isn't being offered) in the NHL. He realizes he's on a completely different level than he was back when he played with the Rangers system. If he can't hack it and gets stuck in the AHL then come back to Europe.

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
And after the little brake Zaborsky scores the game-winner against Jokerit in overtime on the powerplay. Also got an assist on the goal that tied the game in the third and is now tied second in points.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
And after the little brake Zaborsky scores the game-winner against Jokerit in overtime on the powerplay. Also got an assist on the goal that tied the game in the third and is now tied second in points.

Too bad he might not even finish the seasom as he´s playing with an injured shoulder and on pain medication and an eventual surgery seems unavoidable.....even if he finishes the season I don´t think we will see him at the IHWC, if not for the injury, I think the coaches might not be happy with how he handled excusing himself from the DC tourney....:/

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
Too bad he might not even finish the seasom as he´s playing with an injured shoulder and on pain medication and an eventual surgery seems unavoidable.....even if he finishes the season I don´t think we will see him at the IHWC, if not for the injury, I think the coaches might not be happy with how he handled excusing himself from the DC tourney....:/
I doubt that the fact that he wanted to rest a bit more because of the injury the coaches wouldn't want to pick him if everything else was fine. Or am I missing something here?

Oh, the first period ended and Zabo scored his 17th goal of the season while being shorthanded. 30 goals in his last 36 reg.season games. :)

Edit. And that is 18.

Last edited:

Indian

Jan 14, 2010
Košice
There was some buzz about a proposal of Slovan Bratislava, HC Košice and even Dukla Trenčín joining the czech league, however czech APK today denied this notion with 13 votes against it.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Well that was not very clever by Slovan and Kosice to make this thing public without having anything negotiated in advance. I'd expect they would talk economic aspects in private first and after reaching some consensus, then send power point pictures in the papers :help:

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
And Zaborsky with his 20th goal in his 25th game of the season. Has had his fair share of luck, but still simply amazing so far.

Kudroc also continuing his solid game and has now scored in the last two games. Today with a huge slapshot.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
And Zaborsky with his 20th goal in his 25th game of the season. Has had his fair share of luck, but still simply amazing so far.

Kudroc also continuing his solid game and has now scored in the last two games. Today with a huge slapshot.

The record is 47 goals from Arto Javanainen in season 1987/1988. If Zabo stay healthy, can he broke it?

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
The record is 47 goals from Arto Javanainen in season 1987/1988. If Zabo stay healthy, can he broke it?
At this pace, he'd get 48. And at this point of the season that is just crazy. :laugh:

I just doubt that and would be really, really happy with 40(+) since he would be only the second player to score that many goals in the past 20 years in SM-liiga (Kai Nurminen scored 41 in 2000).

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
After his goal tonight against the Philadelphia Flyers, Marian Gaborik is now your NHL leader in goals with 21. With the faceoff deep in the Ranger zone, Gaborik took off immediately after the Rangers won the faceoff. Seeing him charge, Stralman fed him a perfect pass forward and Gaborik was totally alone. At this point, the far defenceman Andrej Meszaros increased his speed greatly and tried to cut Gaborik off. Gaborik scored, Meszaros lost his balance and tripped Gaborik who hit the boards shoulder first. He held the shoulder for awhile but later returned.

Marian is now on pace for 52 goals which would tie the number twice put up by Peter Bondra.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Don't know if anyone noticed, but Milan Kytnar was recalled on an emergency basis by the Edmonton Oilers yesterday and played in his first game too. He only played about 6 minutes but he was even and apparently was good when he played.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
I just looked at Slovak Extraliga stats and I was quite surprised that the league is basically Palffy's playground while Satan is only slightly above PPG. If anything, I would expect it to be vice versa.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
All the Slovak boys at the All Star Game in Ottawa..

bo6aw.jpg

Muuri

Nov 14, 2009
HK Poprad get's finnish forward Kim Strömberg. He's a big player with a good hands and decent shot but lacks skating, drive/motivation and hockey sense.

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
The Detroit Red Wings have recalled Tomas Tatar from the AHL. With Zetterberg injured and Cleary put on IR, room was made on Detroit's roster for Tatar.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Not sure if that's the right topic, but I just found out at EliteProspects that Palffy returned again (had no idea) and .. just wow he dominates the league (83 pts and nearly 1,75 ppg at the age of 39??). Props to all Slovaks, what a talent and player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad