Blue Jays Discussion: The trade deadline approaches (Tue, Aug 2 at 6pm ET/3pm PT) and the market is taking shape

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
It works because the Jays don't have anything in the minors to come close to that Padres package. That is why the Jays would have needed to include from their current MLB-pool of players.

The problem is that you seem to be under the impression that we have the sheer prospects to interest the Nats. If you look at what they got back from the Padres, all 5 of those players have legitimate All-Star ceilings. At least 2 of them have superstar type ceiling. When a team trades a player like Soto, they're looking for a certain type/profile of players in return.

MacKenzie Gore: Former #2 prospect in all of baseball. Was pitching like a future top-of-the rotation starter before his elbow flared up,

CJ Abrams: ~Top 25 prospect. Near MLB ready. Rough MLB debut but he's still just 21 years old. Needs to add strength/size, but he has the frame to do it. Was a ~Top 5 prospect just a year ago.

Robert Hassell: ~Top 25 prospect. Plays an elite position well (CF). Very high floor because he does everything well with no holes in his game, but he still has a star ceiling as well because he's a CF who can hit.

James Wood: MVP-caliber upside and guy who could be a ~Top 10 prospect in a year's time. Freakish tools and he's currently hitting and flashing all of them. Also plays CF and somehow possesses ~60 speed at 6'7 240.

Jarlin Susana: Top-of-the-rotation upside at just 18 years old with a triple-digit FB on a 6'6 frame.

That is probably the single biggest pool of prospects ever traded together. Even the #5 guy in the package (Susana) is a guy that a team would normally be reluctant to give up.

Again, the Jays simply don't have anything to match that. I would happily trade Orelvis for James Wood yesterday if it was on the table. What exactly are you going to give the Nats to sway them away from that package? Moreno and Tiedemann are two guys, but the issue is that Orelvis Martinez has basically no floor and is currently sporting a ~.200 BA with few walks and lots of strikeouts - that just isn't going to help you headline a deal of this magnitude because his problems are severe.

So the Nats want elite upside (obviously), but you're hard-pressed to list more than 2 guys from the Jays that can offer that. The Padres gave them 5 such players. Orelvis Martinez has that type of upside if he somehow revamps pretty much everything about how he currently hits.

Also Morosi had the Soto deal before anyone and he said this;

I think the quote wasnt transcribed properly as i believe Morosi said this is the deal that would get the "Padres thinking". So no guarantees.

This is a non starter. Way too much for Soto and shows not all deals are the same especially when the Padres viewed Manoah and Gore the same.

One is in year 2 and is a Cy Young contender and the other is barely a top 100 prospect and has walked more batters and has a higher ERA in the minors than Manoah has in the majors.

Last edited:

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Ross was asked about Merrifield’s vaccination status several times on Overdrive in different ways and he kept saying he will let Whit answer that question first when he is with the team tomorrow.

After he wouldnt answer the question directly about Merrifield’s vaccination status, Ross Atkins was asked “is it possible you would acquire a player who would only play road games?”

Ross answered “anything is possible, but i can’t see us acquiring a player if that were the case.”

Sounds like Merrifield is vaccinated.

Last edited:
Reactions: MS

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Toronto Blue Jays

Grade: B-

Trades:
Acquired RHP Zach Pop, RHP Anthony Bass and PTBNL from Marlins for INF Jordan Groshans; acquired 2B/OF Whit Merrifield from Royals for INF/OF Samad Taylor and RHP Max Castillo; acquired RHP Mitch White and INF Alex De Jesus from Dodgers for RHP Nick Frasso and LHP Moises Brito; traded RHP Jeremy Beasley to Pirates for cash considerations.

The Blue Jays added speed and versatility with Whit Merrifield, who despite his decline can still steal a bag (15 in 18 attempts) and can play second base, third, right field, center and left. They improved their bullpen depth with Anthony Bass and Zach Pop and paid a reasonable trade price in sending prospect Jordan Groshans to the Marlins in exchange. They also added starting pitching depth by acquiring White (3.70 ERA in 56 innings) from the Dodgers.

Reactions: Discoverer

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
One is Noah Syndergaard and the other is Mitch White;

1659561822728.png

1659561849605.png

Reactions: Da Cool Rula

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Getting a legit prospect to replace Groshans who is younger and projects to be better imo and Mitchell White who helps the big club now who is under control for 5 years for Nick Frasso and Brito is a shrewd move albeit not a huge deal but it’s very solid
I don’t know Brito. Any insight?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Reese McGuire and the rest of the Red Sox forgot how to count

I don’t know Brito. Any insight?

One of 20 guys on the Jays DSL team that nobody has ever heard of. If 1 of those 20 become anything we'll be lucky. If that 1 is Brito we'll be really unlucky

He's had a good start to his career in the DSL though. 20 years old, 29.0 innings, 9.93 K/9, 0.31 BB/9, 1.86 ERA

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Same GM that re-signed Montoyo to an extension on April fools day.

Same GM that tries to improve the team by picking up scraps from actual contenders..

Same GM that spins every one of his dumpster diving garbage moves as a positive thinking that Canadians don't know baseball.
Did we really think a group that lambasted AA on the way out of town for mortgaging the farm to give us the most exciting few months of baseball we've seen in years that created a team that should have won the WS, would then turn around and do the same thing?

They will never go all out via the trade route to make the team better, just hope they can keep landing big fish in FA.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I'm not understanding why White isn't here if Stripling is on the IL.

Who is starting in Stripling's spot? They just traded the other 5th starter option in Castillo.
Wondering if it’s a passport thing. Although they are on the road. Odd

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Lamet's career numbers are kinda inflated by a shortened 2020 season. Outside of that he's basically the apex of average.

He wouldn't cost much of anything to bring in so uh...sure i guess? Can't be any worse than Sergio Romo.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Lamet's career numbers are kinda inflated by a shortened 2020 season. Outside of that he's basically the apex of average.

He wouldn't cost much of anything to bring in so uh...sure i guess? Can't be any worse than Sergio Romo.
his stuff might play in the BP?

Oh he was BP this year.

Something interesting to note is although its just 12 innings, his swinging strike pctg was the highest of his career at 16.1% compared to 13.1% career average. I wonder if walker could tweak something there. He might also have been a bit unlucky sporting a 412 BABIP - a lot of them seem hard hit as he's only generated 5% soft contact. He is giving up 38.9% hard hit contact with a barrel rate of 11% - but that wasn't too much off his 2020 season where he was elite and gave up 36% hard hit contact.

There may be something there....

Last edited:

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I wonder if we can sign Michael Conforto and convince him that he also wants to take the jab. Would give us a left handed power bat for just money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad