Player Discussion The Underrated Brock Boeser

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I never thought that Boeser played as poorly as some people claimed, except maybe for the 21/22 season. I considered his contract to be fair. Last year he probably played a bit below his cap hit, this year he definitely played above it but I also think that Lady Luck was a little kinder to him this season compared to the previous two seasons.

Very impressed with his play in these playoffs.

I generally agree. The 'compete' was always the wrong lens by which to judge him because his skill and smarts were his calling cards. It's like applying the Garland template to someone very much unlike Garland (more innately skilled, bigger etc..).

Boeser is a reminder that goalscorers are erratic and that patience is required. It's the skill that will always separate them from the pack (DeBrusk being another recent example with a regular season/playoff difference in conversion).

Last edited:

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
Listening to Brock talk about his dad's passing is so heartbreaking.
Absolutely incredible how open and honest he was. So refreshing for a change.

I personally just went through what BB has gone through with a close family member that had Alzheimer’s (dad). It was awesome to see him breakthrough both in his game and the mental side of life taking steps forward.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
It stood out to me that he credits the upswing in his game this year to seeing a mental health professional after last season to help deal with his dad's death.
I found that the part where he said, and I'm paraphrasing here, that he couldn't spend as much time with his dad near the end, and he blames hockey for it, the biggest revelation in that interview. It explains almost everything from the last couple seasons, from coming into camp somewhat out of shape, to the lack of compete/focus, etc. He probably resent having to play hockey away from his family, instead of spending more time with his dad. And I totally get it. He probably didn't play hockey with the passion that he should have, which resulted in lower production and quality of play.

I'm glad to see him in a much better place now. And it gives me hope that this version of the BB6 is the one we'll continue to see going forward.

bh53

Sep 18, 2017
Victoria
Blood clots. really feel for Brock, he's had a hard few years and now this. Team better come out flying on Monday and win this for Boeser and Demko

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Man, does anyone know if like Pacific Coliseum is built on a burial ground or something? I have no idea why or how our luck has been so consistently *this*. Since I began watching in 2004.

Given the history, and pre-history, of North America, every piece of land is some form of a burial ground.

The franchise was cursed even before it's first ever draft. One story in a book I own tells of how the Canucks had originally wanted the colours to be blue and gold but the Sabres had already submitted those colours to the NHL.

One theory I have is that it was cursed with being treated as a small non-typical hockey market until the salary cap. New owners came in and were willing to spend but the salary cap actually took away any advantage of that. As a Canadian city, there's a constant push to ice a competitive roster but managements are paralyzed by fear of screwing up so moves are mundane and the next step is rarely ever taken.

In this case, I guess we have to treat Boeser and Demko's injuries as the monkey paw's finger curling on Rutherford's "If everything goes right we make the playoffs" comment.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
This is pretty concerning. I recall Chris Bosh had to retire because of blood clot issues.

Boeser deserved far better than this, hope his health will be ok.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
This is pretty concerning. I recall Chris Bosh had to retire because of blood clot issues.

Boeser deserved far better than this, hope his health will be ok.
Generally once on thinners he will be fine. The problem is you can't play a sport where you get hit in the head when you are on blood thinners. If this is his first clot and he doesn't have any risk factors like atrial fibrillation etc, then he's only on it for 3 months. If the clot happens again though, that might be the end of his career.

Really not good.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Generally once on thinners he will be fine. The problem is you can't play a sport where you get hit in the head when you are on blood thinners. If this is his first clot and he doesn't have any risk factors like atrial fibrillation etc, then he's only on it for 3 months. If the clot happens again though, that might be the end of his career.

Really not good.
Yep. My wife had a pulmonary embolism (actually a bunch) after coming back from the 5 day hike into Machu Pichu and while on the blood thinners she was given the same caution. Blood thinners can also be a brutal medication. My wife basically had a constant UTI while on them and generally felt like shit.

RooBicks

Oct 12, 2020

Really not good.
Right, depends on whether this is a genetic tendency/disorder, or whether it is a complication resulting from some kind of trauma suffered during the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad