Time for team goal song- no more individual celebrations

May Day 10

Apr 19, 2006
St Catharines, ON
Individual goal songs are lame and are atmosphere-killers. Most of the songs are terrible and don't fit the moment. They start playing and cheering stops and people quickly find their seat.

A goal song that invites crowd participation/callback is fun and creates a more raucous atmosphere.

Have players pick their goal song... play that following the next whistle. Quickly announce the player who scored and play the song to honor the player.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Individual goal songs are lame and are atmosphere-killers. Most of the songs are terrible and don't fit the moment. They start playing and cheering stops and people quickly find their seat.

Shitty team goal songs are like that too though.

A goal song that invites crowd participation/callback is fun and creates a more raucous atmosphere.

True. Funny that the Wild use the Isley Brothers “Shout” that the Bills have been using. And with the amount they ram Bills stuff down Sabre fans’ throats, I’m shocked it is not that song.
Have players pick their goal song... play that following the next whistle. Quickly announce the player who scored and play the song to honor the player.

That works. Just don’t give the team song as some sort of crap like they’ve used or overused in the past.

Burgmania

Buffalo's Hockey Soundtrack
Apr 16, 2007
Buffalo, NY
I would be a fan of some situation specific songs
Situation-specific, you say? As Ron White once said . . . "I'm that guy!"

EDIT: I would prefer a team goal song and then the player's song at the next available whistle that isn't a power play, penalty kill, or media timeout. Example: for Canisius' Oliver Tarr, I'd play Baltimora at the next available stoppage.

Reactions: Chainshot

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
Better idea: goal songs for the number of goals in the game and they get stupider as the number gets higher. Goal 1 can be a traditional arena anthem. Goal 7 has to be barbie girl or something super annoying. Goal 10 is safety dance, goal 11 is "I would do anything for love, but I won't do that', just more silly the higher the number so the teams goal is to find out whats higher on the list.
This is borderline brilliant!

They should publish the list at the beginning of the season- it goes all the way up to 20!

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
if we solve enough things that don’t matter maybe the things that do will magically fix themselves.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Agree...let's just make "Swords of a Thousand Men" the song so everyone can get into it like the Bills' Shout song, and be done with it.

Reactions: Jacob582

May Day 10

Apr 19, 2006
St Catharines, ON
Agree...let's just make "Swords of a Thousand Men" the song so everyone can get into it like the Bills' Shout song, and be done with it.

The Shout Song is a great example of how fun a goal song is and how it creates atmosphere.

The Rangers have a great one. Something like that, that elicits a callback from the crowd. People know it, get into it, and it feels like you are heckling the other team/goalie with it.

Whatever nonsense gag Jeff Skinner comes up with, Whitney Houston or whatever is not fun or entertaining. People sit back in their seats, the "cool people" laugh at it and laugh at people like me who think its unnecessarily stupid. It isn't creating a good hockey atmosphere.

Many people like the goal songs and to talk about them the day they come out with the opener. I respect that. As I said, I think having a good universal goal song, with them playing the 'individual' goal song at the next whistle is the best of both worlds.

Reactions: VaporTrail

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
The Shout Song is a great example of how fun a goal song is and how it creates atmosphere.

The Rangers have a great one. Something like that, that elicits a callback from the crowd. People know it, get into it, and it feels like you are heckling the other team/goalie with it.

Whatever nonsense gag Jeff Skinner comes up with, Whitney Houston or whatever is not fun or entertaining. People sit back in their seats, the "cool people" laugh at it and laugh at people like me who think its unnecessarily stupid. It isn't creating a good hockey atmosphere.

Many people like the goal songs and to talk about them the day they come out with the opener. I respect that. As I said, I think having a good universal goal song, with them playing the 'individual' goal song at the next whistle is the best of both worlds.
That seems fair...everyone can be appeased then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad