Prospect Info: Tom Willander: 11th Overall 2023 Draft (Rogle BK J20)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Tom WillanderRDSwedenSwe-JrFeb 9, 2005394212512 (EUR)6'1.25''180lbs

Committed to Boston University.

1st Round Consolidated Ranking: 24
Bob McKenzie: 20
Elite Prospects: 23

The Athletic Scouting Report (Pronman)

Willander's skating is his main asset for the NHL; he is one of the best skaters in the draft. He has a quick, powerful skating stride and can push the pace up ice with the puck. Willander's skating allows him to close on checks well and be a quality defender especially when combined with the fact he has some physicality in his game. I wasn't always sold on his offensive touch. I don't see a big-time playmaker as a pro, but Willander has good enough skill and vision to move pucks at higher levels well, especially given the space his feet can generate. He has the making of a good two-way top four defenseman.

The Athletic Scouting Report (Wheeler)

One of the better-skating defencemen in the draft, Willander, who is committed to Boston University for the fall, was a horse for the Swedish national team and Rogle’s junior team this year. He’s a strong-in-all-three-zones two-way defenceman who plays a confident and decisive game that uses his beautiful, balanced skating to push forward or fall back onto his heels and outlet the puck. He pulls away or retreats from pressure with ease and excels on exits. His head is always up. He gets his shots through. And then on top of the pro frame, and the skating, and the general athleticism, he also just plays the game with an intentionality that is rare in players his age. He looks and operates like a pro out there, his passes are quick and firm, he’s aggressive on pinches and closing gaps, and rarely mistimes them, swallowing up play defensively. Willander doesn’t have dynamic skill or creativity on the puck, but he projects safely as an NHL defenceman and might be a two-way transition monster in a second-pairing role with the right development. I expect him to step right into the college game and be impactful.

Elite Prospects Scouting Report

Tom Willander has been among this draft’s biggest risers on most rankings, including ours. To our credit, he impressed us early, as evidenced by our game reports, and it was more of a case of growing admiration rather than being caught totally off guard by his skill level.

Then with an exceptionally strong showing at the U18s, Willander made himself a consensus first-round pick across the industry. Perhaps even someone destined for the first 15 picks.

Willander’s value stems from the combination of high-end skating and motor. He’s always engaged defensively, using his dynamic posture and evasive footwork to guide attackers away from the middle and break up plays along the boards. When you add the fact that he’s both strong and skilled physically and relentlessly competes for every puck – he’s a nightmare to play against. Even if you start or manage to gain an advantage, Willander has the quickness to recover most of the time. Simply put: He’s one of the most projectable defensive players in the entire draft.

Also elusive with the puck, Willander was among the better breakout artists at the J20 level this season. He was quite conservative with his play at the start of the season, often deferring to his partner and moving the puck quickly instead of trying to take full advantage of his skating. The U18s offered an example of what Willander is capable of when he’s constantly activating, filling up space and overall maximizing his impact in transition.

Willander’s defensive reads are a strength, but high-end offensive instincts are currently missing from his game. He can consistently create potential openings and advantages with his feet, but couldn’t often capitalize on them.

As Elite Prospects lead scout David St-Louis summarized in one of his game reports, “Willander lacks the awareness and processing inside his moves to really make the best play. He activates, shifts alongside the blue, and makes some cheeky 1-on-1 moves and passes, but the offensive reads and creativity lag behind the toolkit".

A reported move to Boston College in his draft-plus-one season should serve him well in this regard.

Even if Willander doesn’t end up taking significant steps offensively, his floor as a prospect remains high. Becoming a complementary No. 4 blueliner who provides a lot of defensive value through his skating, motor, and physicality while being able to move the puck competently is definitely in the cards, even without any major developmental leaps. And if the offence does take off? Watch out.

Last edited:

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Listed at 191 on Boston Universities’ page
Boston University's page will be the most accurate listing. The others rely on former team pages from Sweden or the Canucks NHL site (which for freshly drafted prospects can be all over the place). 6'1 191lbs is a good size for him, he's projectable at 200lbs at the NHL level

Reactions: biturbo19

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
from looking at him on ice.. id guess 6'2 192lbs if i had to bet money on it.
maybe he's 6'1 but plays/skates more upright? not sure

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
as a long time confused viewer of nhl player on ice heights relative to their reported heights i believe skate orthotics, blades, risers and helmets all play into the totality of on ice verticality, as well as posture and measurement shenanigans.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
You can tell a one-inch difference just by looking at someone?
yeah, ive watched hockey for 20 years, and i know the height of the players so you sort of correlate the known numbers to what you see over and over and over again.
a 6'2 to a 6'3 player look very different... a 5'11 to a 6' guy looks different
however as i said above, skating style can really affect this guys like Roslovic or Zuccarello are deceiving as they kind of skate funny.
Actually, ex-canuck (and may he rest in peace) Pavol Demitra threw me off. I thought he was 5'10 for like two months because his shoulder drooped down and he bends more at the waste when he skates. he was 6'! but yes, genearlly i can tell.

Reactions: Fraser28

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
The important thing is that he looks big. As close to Desharnais or Myers we can get the better the last thing we want is another Hughes on the ice

On a more important note. Willander seems to be acclimating well to NA ice and given his pace of 7goals 18assists 25pts in 40 games and plus 36 on paper and through the footage i've watched things are going well

Last edited:

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Hey everybody there seems to be some debate here about Willander and other defenseman in the NHL, their height weight and overall ability ( both current and projected )
Thankfully for everybody here I know everything about every player, I can tell you without a doubt that Willander will be good because I follow every single player pre-draft all the way up to retirement. By comparing Willander to players like McAvoy I can track and analyze each other attributes and successes when I extrapolate that information using my own models

Glad I can settle these debates for everyone it’s nice to be appreciated

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
You have to be measured as a freshman as an NCAA athlete.

It’s a requirement for registration, so he can register for classes
That’s the whole process that he skipped those world junior game things for.

It’s mandatory, what his measurements are on BU's site are current

It's no mandatory once you are a sophomore, junior etc etc.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I dont know why people are do desperate for him to make the jump

Just because we are lacking RD deph, doesnt mean we need to rush a 19 years old
I agree, yes, it would be concerning if he doesnt "make' the roster after 2 years. but it also depends if he makes the roster and will be played sparingly.... vs come in and have every opportunity to be top 4 like Hughes and Makar had. I've seen so many recent prospects play sporadically and end up hurting their development. I'm sure Faber wont be the same impact player if hes playing last year, the fact that Edvinsson is still not in the big show is a good example. Sillinger made the team early and its stunted his ceiling a bit for sure.

Let them cook.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I agree, yes, it would be concerning if he doesnt "make' the roster after 2 years. but it also depends if he makes the roster and will be played sparingly.... vs come in and have every opportunity to be top 4 like Hughes and Makar had. I've seen so many recent prospects play sporadically and end up hurting their development. I'm sure Faber wont be the same impact player if hes playing last year, the fact that Edvinsson is still not in the big show is a good example. Sillinger made the team early and its stunted his ceiling a bit for sure.

Let them cook.
Anaheim is load managing Leo Carlsson

Really smart decision

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
I'm not sure where the negativity is coming from.

He looks big on the ice IMO. He was never going to be a big time point producer. He reminds me of Jacob Slavin in the sense he's a human eraser. His skating, gap work, stick work, and positioning is superb.

He's getting used to the NA ice, and he has some errors, but the potential is so apparent to me. He's showing out so well, I see the potential to become a top pairing defender.

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
The only reason some peoples view of him not appearing "Big" on the ice is he has been paired with a guy who is 6'7 220 for about 3-4 games now.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
for those of you that follow the KHL, I have no time this year. I know its really early, but so far, who is developing better? Simashev or Willander?

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Button seem to like all our prospects. I wonder if he panders to all the markets. But hey. If hes another McAvoy, oooh boy. I got to start buying property on Georgia.

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Button seem to like all our prospects. I wonder if he panders to all the markets. But hey. If hes another McAvoy, oooh boy. I got to start buying property on Georgia.

He hated Virtanen
And liked Boeser
He said Virtanen would be chosen in the top 10 but said he ranked him around 40
He said Boeser was gonna go in the 20’s but ranked him 9 in his player rankings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad