Confirmed with Link: Tomas Hertl 17% retained, 2025 3rd, 2027 3rd to Vegas for C David Edstrom, 2025 1st

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
Yah, I think I was considering asking about adding "how long until there's a Joner goal" for the SNOG situation during that time. It was soooo bad.

I'm not sure we have a rivalry with Vegas anymore.

Like a Frosted Mini-Wheat... the frosted side of me says, "LALALALALALALALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!! LALALALA!!" But, the whole wheat side of me says, "Sharks are so much worse than The VeeGees that I can't call them rivals. The talent gap is waay too big..."
Sure, maybe it takes two competitive teams to have a rivalry. But rivalries come and go; true fandom hatred and contempt are forever, and isn't that the real meaning of Christmas?

Also, f*** the Knights, Kings, Ducks, Dallas Cowboys, John Fisher...

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Sure, maybe it takes two competitive teams to have a rivalry. But rivalries come and go; true fandom hatred and contempt are forever, and isn't that the real meaning of Christmas?

Also, f*** the Knights, Kings, Ducks, Dallas Cowboys, John Fisher...
Rivalries aren’t contingent on success. Montreal and Toronto will always have one. Same with Calgary/Edmonton.

Vegas fans no longer think they have a rivalry with us because they haven’t been around long enough to have history with anyone, but they certainly have a hard time keeping the sharks name out of their mouths.

Last edited:

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Rivalries aren’t contingent on success. Montreal and Toronto will always have one. Same with Calgary/Edmonton.

Vegas fans no longer thing they have a rivalry with us because they haven’t been around long enough to have history with anyone, but they certainly have a hard time keeping the sharks name out of their mouths.
I still hate LA, Anaheim and even teams like Detroit and Vancouver more than Vegas. The teams that beat us when we actually had a chance to win the Cup will always hurt more.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
IMO some of the rivalry died when Gallant and Reaves left. Kane v Reaves definitely added some fire.
It helped but undoubtedly the rivalry is still strong. Just look at the reaction from Sharks fans not just when Hertl was traded but to who. The unanimous conscientious was "Anyone but Vegas".

True but after this season the only Shark remaining from the 2019 series will be Vlasic so it's hard to say the rivalry is still alive either.
Rivalry goes beyond the players on the ice. In 3 years when we're decent and they're on the bottom of the standings I'll still hate them with a passion.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
He doesn't need to be a difference maker, he was drafted 32nd for a reason. If he becomes a good 3rd liner that's a huge win. Add in the 1st and enough cap space to sign a top-6 winger/top-4 d...its a good trade.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Why do we hate Fleury? Before my time.
Because he was a 5'6" little pest asshole who scored like a point per game or more vs. the Sharks. The closest current comp I could imagine is our own personal Marchand. I think he got under other teams' skin as well, but I don't think he was as universally hated as Marchand, but he certainly was for Sharks fans in the 90's.

Really sad to see everything he was dealing with his whole life and makes his career pretty impressive. Hockey really does have a broken culture, particularly in Canadian Juniors.

EDIT: link to NYT profile from 1999

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
Why do we hate Fleury? Before my time.

He broke one of Sharkie's ribs.

Last year in San Jose, Theo Fleury was playing for the New York Rangers and playing his usual game, which meant he was thrown out before the third period ended. On his way to the dressing room, Fleury ran into Sharks mascot, S.J. Sharkie. The next thing you know, Fleury's carrying on like Robert Shaw trying not to get eaten in Jaws. Fortunately for Fleury, he got away, while Sharkie reportedly suffered a broken rib.

No doubt it would have been a dark day for the NHL had it lost one of its star players to a land-shark attack.

Look at these hacks misspelling. Landshark...

Also, we traded for his rights and he didn't want to re-sign with us. Here's a list with some explanations...

hahaha, I forgot about this picture of Dustbin Brown:

1710426222134.png

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Someone posted our Cup finals lineup and I was struck by how not impressive our bottom 6 was. James Sheppard as a 3C?

That was often the issue with DW teams, and if Edstrom and Bystedt hit their projection, a Bystedt - Edstrom - Zetterlund 3rd line would be an absolute beast to contend with. With Celebrini as your 1C and Smith as your 2C, that’s not a bad start to a lineup.

So yeah, I dig the pick up. I also like that Edstrom has improved a lot this year - that bodes well too (now we need Bystedt to re-find his game a little).

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
That was often the issue with DW teams, and if Edstrom and Bystedt hit their projection, a Bystedt - Edstrom - Zetterlund 3rd line would be an absolute beast to contend with. With Celebrini as your 1C and Smith as your 2C, that’s not a bad start to a lineup.
Add future captain and veteran presence Luke Kunin to that line up and you’ve got a contender on your hands

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Someone posted our Cup finals lineup and I was struck by how not impressive our bottom 6 was. James Sheppard as a 3C?

So yeah, I dig the pick up. I also like that Edstrom has improved a lot this year - that bodes well too (now we need Bystedt to re-find his game a little).
Sheppard wasn't on the team in 2016 but overall that was kind of a fluke run with a solid but unspectacular lineup. Instead of realizing it was one final high note at the end of a decade long contention window, DW spent the next 2 years trading four first round picks and handing out a half dozen max term contracts to 30 year olds in a desperate attempt to win with an over the hill core.

• Wow
Reactions: DG93 and Sandisfan

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
Sheppard wasn't on the team in 2016 but overall that was kind of a fluke run with a solid but unspectacular lineup. Instead of realizing it was one final high note at the end of a decade long contention window, DW spent the next 2 years trading four first round picks and handing out a half dozen max term contracts to 30 year olds in a desperate attempt to win with an over the hill core.

2019 Sharks were a good team - definitely had a shot

I am just mad DW stuck with Jones through that season.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

There were tons of injuries by the time we got to the finals too.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad