Proposal: TOR-PHI

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
No value for Philly
The value would be getting out of Couturier’s contract for the next 6 seasons at $7.75mil per season for a 31 year old injury prone center who will most likely end this contract on LTIR.

As a Flyers fan it would suck to lose a fan favorite like Couturier but if it means saving salary and a long term roster spot instead of using a roster spot on LTIR in the long term then I’d much rather eat a season of Tavares salary, a buyout wouldn’t be necessary as I would rather clear the books sooner.

Coots is better defensively but it would be better to hang onto Tavares in the short term for 1 more season (then Tavares UFA) and then find a younger less injury phone defensive center via UFA, trade or signing at a fraction of what Tavares or Couturier would count against Toronto’s cap space.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
The value would be getting out of Couturier’s contract for the next 6 seasons at $7.75mil per season for a 31 year old injury prone center who will most likely end this contract on LTIR.

As a Flyers fan it would suck to lose a fan favorite like Couturier but if it means saving salary and a long term roster spot instead of using a roster spot on LTIR in the long term then I’d much rather eat a season of Tavares salary, a buyout wouldn’t be necessary as I would rather clear the books sooner.

Coots is better defensively but it would be better to hang onto Tavares in the short term for 1 more season (then Tavares UFA) and then find a younger less injury phone defensive center via UFA, trade or signing at a fraction of what Tavares or Couturier would count against Toronto’s cap space.
I doubt Tavares would sign off if Philly wanted to keep him. It would have to be a buyout. The 2nd year is only 300k against the cap.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
I doubt Tavares would sign off if Philly wanted to keep him. It would have to be a buyout. The 2nd year is only 300k against the cap.
I doubt Philly would keep Tavares on their roster as he doesn’t seem like he’d skate all that well in Torts system.

I would except the proposed trade and subsequent buyout of Tavares contract.

Reactions: Americanadian

Ledge And Dairy

He can pick where he wants to go next from any team in the league, including coming back to Toronto if they offer that. He also makes more money. This is the best case scenario for him waiving. The Leafs could alternatively say we'll buy you out anyway if you don't accept this (which would be an empty threat).
Assuming this fantasy did happen (which it wouldn't) he would not be allowed to sign with Toronto at all if another team traded for and then bought him out

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Assuming this fantasy did happen (which it wouldn't) he would not be allowed to sign with Toronto at all if another team traded for and then bought him out
Yes he would unless it was recently changed. Orpik and Michael Stone have done this in recent history.

To be clear I’m not saying this would be the plan. I’m saying if Tavares refused to play anywhere but Toronto this would be an option.

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
Why would Philly buy him out, rather than flip him at 50% retained and score an asset?

Ledge And Dairy

Yes he would unless it was recently changed. Orpik and Michael Stone have done this in recent history.

To be clear I’m not saying this would be the plan. I’m saying if Tavares refused to play anywhere but Toronto this would be an option.
You can re-sign with your own team but it was changed after Orpik. Need to wait a year after being traded to sign with that team again

Reactions: Americanadian

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
I just don't see a Tavares move this year. Yes, his play has been underwhelming, and he certainly has not earned his contract through performance, but he no movement clause aside, he is the current active captain and he hasn't done or said anything that would negatively impact the OPTICS that is of utmost focus for the MLSE marketing machine. He has been a loyal foot soldier and ambassador for the Leafs, and I can't see them removing him when he ONLY has one year left on that contract, especially if Shanahan stays put. If Shanahan is replaced, then his replacement and Treliving have no active investment (emotionally or otherwise) in Tavares, and can perhaps then approach him on a trade/buyout, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad