HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Agreed, giving up assets for one year of Marner doesn’t make any sense to me.

Even if Marner would sign a long term contract with Montreal I wouldn’t want Hughes to trade for him. My guess is he’s going to be looking for a deal around what Nylander just got (7-8 years at $11.5 million AAV). In my opinion that’s too much for a player that disappears as a team gets further and further in the playoffs.
My evaluation Marner is worth between 6 M to 9 M. His low record in PO lower his value a lot. But in regular season he's good.

Jul 6, 2016
Man they should have kept Lehkonen damn. Watching him play 20 minutes per game on one of the best team in the league is rough lol. I think his offensive would have taken the same next step with MSL as he did with Colorado

A defensively-elite second line winger is exactly what this team needs now if they truly want to take the next step. And he's still 28 too...

Hindsight is always 20/20 and I really like Hughes total body of work, but hot damn did we get fleeced on that trade
Worst Hughes’ mistake. WHY has he done it ?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yup, we need that big D. Xhekaj, Guhle, Reinbacher will be monsters for us. Maybe Mailloux. No way I want to trade any of them.

Size & skill on D. Size & skill up front. We need to add to Slafkovsky & Dach.
Just look at the size and skill of last year's SC finalists, for reference.

And since the NHL is a copycat league ... you already know the likes of Lindstrom will be going off the draft board early (earlier than 5th I'm assuming).

That type of player will also be harder to come by given how most teams will follow said blueprint.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Lehkonen was a 4th liner on the Habs. I liked him, but much of this forum wanted him gone.

Danault cried to the media when he was placed on a line with Lehkonen.

And fans cried a lot when Kotkaniemi had to play on a line with Lehkonen and Armia.
Lehkonen became good just at the end of his Habs time. And he had few good seasons with the Avs.
Before that he was in the middle of nowhere, he was in his slow process. He wasn't terribly bad.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Just look at the size and skill of last year's SC finalists, for reference.

And since the NHL is a copycat league ... you already know the likes of Lindstrom will be going off the draft board early (earlier than 5th I'm assuming).

That type of player will also be harder to come by given how most teams will follow said blueprint.
I always thought Lindstrom would go 3 or 4. I f we could take him do it, he's the one I would prefer before Iginla.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Lehkonen became good just at the end of his Habs time. And he had few good seasons with the Avs.
Before that he was in the middle of nowhere, he was in his slow process. He wasn't terribly bad.
Lekhonen was one of the best Habs in 2017 playoffs vs NYR, his rookie season, again in 2020 play ins (vs Pens & Philly), and 2021 playoffs.

His game style, simply magnified his performance at playoff time - he was always solid

Last edited:

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Lekhonen was one of the best Habs in 2017 playoffs vs NYR, his rookie season, again in 2020 play ins (vs Pens & Philly), and 2021 playoffs.

His game style, simply magnified his performance at playoff time - he’s was always solid
Lehkonen's got 7 points in 4 playoff games so far but had 8 in 27 games as a Hab after the Rangers series. There was a serious lack of offense.

Reactions: mdk

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

His game style, simply magnified his performance at playoff time - he’s was always solid
Solid but unable to create or finish scoring chances.

Jul 6, 2016
Lehkonen's got 7 points in 4 playoff games so far but had 8 in 27 games as a Hab after the Rangers series. There was a serious lack of offense.
Confidence is everything. When he was acquired by the AVS, he was put in a position to produce. He has always been a hard working guy, giving it all on the ice. Yes, he missed so many empty nets with the Habs, but he was very useful in some other aspects of the game. With MSL behind the bench, he would had probably raise up his offensive game like he has done with Colorado.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
What you said is blatantly false and is bias fan thinking. Some gm or majority of gm’s absolutely do care.
How do you know? Do you know these gms and talk to them? What a bunch of crap. Why do you post stuff like this?

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Does anybody know what’s the lowest possible Jets pick we can get with how the playoffs have been shaping up so far?
28th if they lose this round.

False , blatant false, not all fans turn a blind eye, same way most Gm’s don’t in most sports especially depending on the state and or nightmare the team could face in a certain state
Give it up please. Are you a saint?

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
lol people Anaheim isn’t trading zegras for Mailloux one for one. Way overvalue a player who doesn’t have much stock around the league due to his past. Then undervalue player like zegras. It would cost a 1st to move Josh Anderson
Really? Evander Kane didn’t have much trouble having Edm pick him up after domestic violence charge, or how about Perry - how many days after Hawks terminated his contract for improper behavior was he signed by Edm.

GMs only care about finding talent who they think can help them win, now will PR people raise a flag? Perhaps but GMs usually are able to pull rank in those situations

Should be again reiterated Mailloux was not charged with a criminal offense of sexual misconduct

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
28th if they lose this round.

Give it up please. Are you a saint?
Re Pt 1. If the Jets lose I beleive the pick would be 27th at worst. If Carolina lose they finished ahead of the Jets and would pick after them. If they win they play the Rangers who were a divsion winner. So the loser would pick after the Jets.
Re Pt 2. I agree for Mailloux's transgression. For a worse transgression - like bullying a handicapped kid over a long period of time - many if not all teams would avoid.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
It will be difficult to sign good UFAs for just one or two years, so Laine could be a good alternative, provided he can be had for peanuts like you said.
I'm not sure he fits in the team culture but he can fit contract wise.
I'd take that gamble.
The key thing for me is that we are trying to ADD top6 talent to our team. With all the other proposals (Zegras, Necas...) we need to give up one very good piece of our future (our 1st rd draft pick, Reinbacher, Mailloux). CBJ is looking for some vet forward who can mentor their young players. We do not really have one, but we could do 3way trade, so my expectation is it would really cost us something like Harris/ Struble/ Kovacevic/ 2nd or someone like Dvorak. We have 8,7M in cap to cover Laine salary, so we would not really invest a lot. If he works out, he could be 30+ goals scorer with 6"4" frame.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

His game style, simply magnified his performance at playoff time - he was always solid
Lekhonen good player yup. Barron has no hockey sense. Bad trade because Habs going to end up with nothing for Lekhonen.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Does anybody know what’s the lowest possible Jets pick we can get with how the playoffs have been shaping up so far?
If the Jets lose in the 1st round, it's looking like 24th to 27th.

We really need:
- The Avs to to take out the Jets
- one of Boston, Tampa, or Toronto to take out Florida.
- Vegas to take out Dallas
- Edmonton or Nashville to take out Vancouver

I've given up on the Islanders beating Carolina and the Rangers.

But if all of those things happen, we pick 24th. I think Florida will be the hardest to prevent from going to the conference finals.

Last edited:
Reactions: c3z4r and Holystik

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I love the skill guys as much as anyone else but watching the leafs playoff performances over the years has to really make you ask yourself what you’re getting with Zegras. He’ll help you get to the playoffs but once there you won’t see him, in my opinion. So what do you value- playoff success or regular season success ? At the rumoured price he isn’t worth it if he can’t also contribute in the playoffs also.
You need a mix. Toronto went too much skill lack of character

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
I know most people would probably lose their mind over it, but I'd be calling LA this offseason to see where PLD's value sits.

I wouldn't trade for him at full cap hit, but if there's a deal where either LA or a 3rd party retains cap then I think he'd be an intriguing "buy low" option.

We could hypothetically come out of this summer with Slaf, Dach, PLD and Lindstrom all in our top 6.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I know most people would probably lose their mind over it, but I'd be calling LA this offseason to see where PLD's value sits.

I wouldn't trade for him at full cap hit, but if there's a deal where either LA or a 3rd party retains cap then I think he'd be an intriguing "buy low" option.

We could hypothetically come out of this summer with Slaf, Dach, PLD and Lindstrom all in our top 6.
I was all for sending the Florida 1st for PLD when it looked like it would be a pick in the teens and If the rumours of him wanting only Montreal were true. But to pay full price like LA did I had no interest.

Now ? I think there is a good chance he bounces back next year but I don't care, this guy is a head case with his 3rd team. He causes problems in the room as witnessed by Doughty going off on him. You can't rely on this guy to show up. We have a pretty hard working team and you keep PLD type guys far away.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Name the centers Lehkonen played with on the Habs and also consider how much we bounced him around the line-up season after season. Due to lack of depth (especially at center), the coach was forced to move parts around and this did not give us the true value of Lehkonen.

I remember several in our fan base saying he was just worth a 2nd rounder.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal

I agree, except I'm not sure Dubois sticks on the top 6. The guy has clear personal issues to deal with.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

7 more years at $8.5M. Doubt the Kings will want to retain that long. Nobody is trading for him without retention at this point.

Bad contract for bad contract? Even if we flip Gallagher and one of Dvorak/Armia, we would still be reaching due to the time left with Dubois. We know he is better than what he provided for the Kings this season but I'd let them drown with him at this stage.

I'd be interested but only if they we got at least $2M of retention. Kings won't do that.

I agree, except I'm not sure Dubois sticks on the top 6. The guy has clear personal issues to deal with.

People have to consider that they used Dubois on the 3rd line to create 3 good lines but Dubois is not one to lead a line. He's clearly better than what he provided this season and it seemed to have got worse for the Kings/Dubois as the season went along. Bad fit for the Kings who already had center depth.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You need a mix. Toronto went too much skill lack of character

Leafs D and goaltending is the biggest issue. You can have skill/skating up front and win if you have sound D but they don't have it. Offense is created by strong D and the forwards gain confidence from this as well. I think their forwards feel like they need to do more in the defensive end to overcome it and that can wear you out.

Cap issues but Pietrangelo was the guy they needed.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The key thing for me is that we are trying to ADD top6 talent to our team. With all the other proposals (Zegras, Necas...) we need to give up one very good piece of our future (our 1st rd draft pick, Reinbacher, Mailloux). CBJ is looking for some vet forward who can mentor their young players. We do not really have one, but we could do 3way trade, so my expectation is it would really cost us something like Harris/ Struble/ Kovacevic/ 2nd or someone like Dvorak. We have 8,7M in cap to cover Laine salary, so we would not really invest a lot. If he works out, he could be 30+ goals scorer with 6"4" frame.

Laine would be a good add but he hasn't played a full season since the 18/19 season. If they trade him, they are looking for a NHL body to replace him with futures IMO.

They may be interested in a Anderson with retention/Jets 1st/Harris/Mesar flip. The other angle is Laine's salary over the next 2 seasons... $9.1M x 2 with $2M in signing bonus each season. Might be a push from the owner to unload that in rebuilding years with limited revenue coming in.

Laine has 2 seasons left so not sure this fits. We are looking for better team control that overlaps our contending years. I'd like to add Laine but cost to acquire and term left just doesn't fit our future contending years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad