HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Everytime I hear stuff like this I think of Jiri Sekac. I really thought it was a steal and he was this amazing player. :(:laugh:

Sekac... Shipashev... Gusev...

Otoh, Michkov is the absolute opposite. We missed on someone who should have challenged Bedard.

Weird.

Reactions: Kimota

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Would you guys do a deal around Texier and Barron? Could be a decent project for MTL, Swiss army knife kind.

Texier is another that has to clear waivers? I think our goal here is to flip Barron and/or Harris for someone who:

* Don't have to clear waivers
or
* In a package in a bigger trade to get a top 6F
or
* For future draft picks to prolong the draft power.

Texier's -5 rating playing 15 min with the bad Blue Jackets team is interesting. Most others are -10 or much worse on that roster.

Because:

- He’s at his peak value on the market
- He’s at a postion where we have young guys ready to take bigger minutes
- Go get a need with his value

I think most understand this but the division might be what the actual return is. I think lots of teams are interested but no way we are getting a grade A prospect. Might get a 15-20 range pick and two B+ prospect as the offers.

Would someone get aggressive and offer something we can't refuse? Sure but you can't force it.

If a team offered a pick from 10-15 in this draft, I probably do it. Bet you that pisses MSL off because he wants to start winning. I don't think he was happy to see Monahan traded.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
The only young D I have any confidence slotting into a top role is Guhle, as our No.2 D on the top pair. At this point I'm accepting he will play a defensively strong game while playing well over 20 minutes a game. He compliments an offensive partner , but I also believe that he will provide some offense as well

Most valuable positions on the D are the 1 and 3 offensive Dmen and the no.2 Dman. We have 1 young guy proving he fits into 1 of those 3 spots. We should not move him.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
In an ideal scenario, the Habs trade pieces like Gally, Anderson, Armia, Dvo, Savard, Evans, Kovacevic, Pezz and Price for pretty much anything, and go on to sign Reinhart, Stamkos, March, Toff and Moneyhands. That's how you get a playoffs team. Obviously, this is a pipe dream.

• Wow

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
In an ideal scenario, the Habs trade pieces like Gally, Anderson, Armia, Dvo, Savard, Evans, Kovacevic, Pezz and Price for pretty much anything, and go on to sign Reinhart, Stamkos, March, Toff and Moneyhands. That's how you get a playoffs team. Obviously, this is a pipe dream.
That's more than a pipe dream....

Listening to Engels on the sick podcast he believes Montreal wants to shore up their right side. Whether that's drafting a rhd, likely with the Jets pick, or possibly a trade/free agent signing. Engels didn't go into more detail, but that's just my stretching out what he said.

He later adds that the Habs want to add 2 top 6 forwards, but thinks if they get 1 it will be a home run summer.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Listening to Engels on the sick podcast he believes Montreal wants to shore up their right side. Whether that's drafting a rhd, likely with the Jets pick, or possibly a trade/free agent signing. Engels didn't go into more detail, but that's just my stretching out what he said.

He later adds that the Habs want to add 2 top 6 forwards, but thinks if they get 1 it will be a home run summer.
Could they be after a RD like Matt Roy out of LA? UFA

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Nothing wrong with Mailloux, Reinbacher, Hutson, Engstrom, and Struble getting lots of time in the AHL.

Contrarian opinion versus the board but i believe that there is plenty of wrong in playing NHL talent and superstar potential in the AHL, especially D+3 player.

Reactions: BoneHutson

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021

Habs still need to clean-up the roster before they can add anything they are full aat all positions for next season at the NHL level (8Ds, 13Fs and 2Gs). They will also have to trade some prospects away because if they get ready players now, they won't be any place for them on the roster.

I also don't see how they get quality players by trading out the garbage that needs to be cleaned-up.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Habs could just sign Toffoli and there is one top 6F. I bet you he would be interested in coming back and signing a fair AAV/term too. Age 32 next year so 2 or 3 years at $4.5M. If Toffoli wants to cash in, let him with another team.

I don't think it will be hard to move Armia for a pick. You might not get a good pick but he had a good season and at $3.4M, it's manageable for a cap floor rebuilding team.

Gallagher is going nowhere. Stuck in our bottom 6 until it runs out.

Anderson could be moved but teams probably offer us a equal contract in return.

therocket9

Sep 15, 2021
Would you guys do a deal around Texier and Barron? Could be a decent project for MTL, Swiss army knife kind.
I would rather use Barron in a trade for a more physical player like Zachary L'Heureux......and Nashville have some ufa D men an some age on defense and Ufko is really the inly RHD prospect they have.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Everytime I hear stuff like this I think of Jiri Sekac. I really thought it was a steal and he was this amazing player. :(:laugh:
Sekac was actually a decent 3rd liner, he had the skill to have a career in the NHL he just didn’t have the dedication… we were also able to flip him unfortunately for a other player that also lack dedication…

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020

Short term, the RD is thin. Having to play Guhle on that side is far from ideal.

IF KH is going to sign a UFA this Summer, I would hope its Pesce. Long term, he has the potential to be a good partner for Hutson, which allows you to pair Guhle and Rainbacher and Xhekaj and Mailloux.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Short term, the RD is thin. Having to play Guhle on that side is far from ideal.

IF KH is going to sign a UFA this Summer, I would hope its Pesce. Long term, he has the potential to be a good partner for Hutson, which allows you to pair Guhle and Rainbacher and Xhekaj and Mailloux.

Pesce is outside the age they're looking for plus I'm sure a contender will overpay

Reactions: Leon Lucius Black

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
many on here mentioned Necas as a guy KH should try to get

any impressed with him in the playoffs?
No, his playoffs have unsold me on him.

The cost to acquire him will be more than a 1st and a 2nd. The contract he'd want/the Habs would have to give would cost a lot, likely more then Suzuki and CC and while paying someone more isn't out of the question, they need to be better than them and I don't see it.

Some won't agree, but I'd rather go for Zegras than him

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
many on here mentioned Necas as a guy KH should try to get

any impressed with him in the playoffs?

I don't think the Canes have plans at trading him to be honest.

big, talented, but probably a bit too soft

I wonder how his point totals are improved from playing on a well coached teams with good depth? I agree he is a bit on the soft side for a guy with size. Good hard worker and skater though. Certainly not a fantasy target in terms of hits/60, blocks/60, giveaway/60, takeaway/60.

I like the player but not sure he would be my target. I think what you see is what you get today. Not much room for improvement like there was with Dach and Newhook.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
Pesce is outside the age they're looking for plus I'm sure a contender will overpay
Money wise you are correct. I dont think MTL can/want to win a bidding war.

Age wise, well yeah he's older at 29, but you can't only have 22 yr. Want to avoid the OTT mistake here. Long term, Matheson will be hopefully be replace by Hutson and a mix of Reibacher/Mailloux.
Savard is getting old and slow. Adding Pesce allows you to trade Savard at TDL

I should add. I would prefer they not sign a UFA at all this Summer. BUT... if they did, this is the one that make sense to me.

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Age wise, well yeah he's older at 29, but you can't only have 22 yr. Want to avoid the OTT mistake here. Long term, Matheson will be hopefully be replace by Hutson and a mix of Reibacher/Mailloux.

Yeah but when they expect to be competitive and the term you have to give along with money. Just don't think Pesce is the right guy at the right time.

If you did sign him they'd have to trade Savard immediately, there's already gotta be two bodies out before signing anyone.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
Yeah but when they expect to be competitive and the term you have to give along with money. Just don't think Pesce is the right guy at the right time.

If you did sign him they'd have to trade Savard immediately, there's already gotta be two bodies out before signing anyone.

Oh, that goes without saying. Can't add new D without moving out some first.

Timing for Pesce is not ideal, but the way I see it is that MTL will need a guy like him to play with Hutson, an upgrade on Savard. You wont find one like him in the 2025 UFA group. So that leave you to either go through a trade or pairing Hutson with Reinbacher.... (I still think tho that long term a pair of Guhle/Reinbach is preferable).

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Two options I would try with the Jets pick :

With Struble for Farabee or with Primeau for Askarov
Philly already has a late 1st (Florida’s).
They have enough LDs (Sanheim, York, Seeler, prospect Andrae).

They are thin at LW. Loaded in RWs.

Konecny instead of Farabee?

Show me 3 pieces for Konecny: C prospect, LW prospect, RD prospect. Or 2 pieces and the Jets pick.

But i believe you have very few forward prospects to spare.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I would rather use Barron in a trade for a more physical player like Zachary L'Heureux......and Nashville have some ufa D men an some age on defense and Ufko is really the inly RHD prospect they have.

Keep Barron until we know what we have. The only issue I see is it's taking him time to mature in the D zone. I have faith he figures it out but it might be in the age 25-30 range. We probably don't have patience for it though. Imagine trading him as a B+ value and he becomes a top 4RD with his new team in that 25-30 years?

We should not be in a rush to move Reinbacher and Hutson up. Someone like Struble can use some AHL time to mature a bit more too. Mailloux could play both depending on what he shows in camp. Lets use our waiver exempt players wisely

Clutter on D but it's manageable and there will no doubt be more injuries next year were we can test Hutson and Reinbacher more. Doubt we are in a playoff spot come TDL and I can see us moving Savard. That opens up a spot for Hutson or Reinbacher.

I'd even be comfortable carrying Harris as a depth guy this season.

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario

I should add. I would prefer they not sign a UFA at all this Summer. BUT... if they did, this is the one that make sense to me.
I agree with your age comment. The core is young and you build around it. Bringing in some veterans to help round out the roster is a good thing. It's the next phase of the rebuild. You can not be in a endless cycle of a rebuild. One of the reasons why I disagree with the idea of trading core young pieces just to draft a replacement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad