HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I agree with your age comment. The core is young and you build around it. Bringing in some veterans to help round out the roster is a good thing. It's the next phase of the rebuild. You can not be in a endless cycle of a rebuild. One of the reasons why I disagree with the idea of trading core young pieces just to draft a replacement.

I think you bring in vets in a few years when the transition is complete. I still see several years of transition and more rebuild because the draft power will remain higher than average.

I'm not appose to bringing back Toffoli and/or Monahan on short term deals this summer though. Depends on our ability to move guys like Armia, Dvorak, and Anderson though.

Reactions: Garnet76 and LaP

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Money wise you are correct. I dont think MTL can/want to win a bidding war.

Age wise, well yeah he's older at 29, but you can't only have 22 yr. Want to avoid the OTT mistake here. Long term, Matheson will be hopefully be replace by Hutson and a mix of Reibacher/Mailloux.
Savard is getting old and slow. Adding Pesce allows you to trade Savard at TDL

I should add. I would prefer they not sign a UFA at all this Summer. BUT... if they did, this is the one that make sense to me.
There's nothing wrong with the age of Ottawa's dmen. NYR's defense is not older. Ottawa dmen are just not great.

Ottawa's dmen age (last season) :

NYR's dmen age (last season) :

Adding more non great vets would not have magically made Ottawa's defense better. It was in fact a relatively mediocre defense. They ranked 13th for the shots against. They ranked 18th for the high danger chances against. Not great but better than their ranking. They had terrible goaltending and finsihed 21st for the goals scored which was a bigger issue. The age of their defense was pretty damn far in the list of their problem.

Here's the age of our defense (next season) :

Don't think we need to add vets just for the sake of adding a vet. We could be looking to replace Savard for a younger 28-29 years old dman absolutely but adding a 3rd 30+ years old dmen on top of Savard and Matheson would be a mistake if we plan to keep Savard past the deadline.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There's nothing wrong with the age of Ottawa's dmen. NYR's defense is not older. Ottawa dmen are just not great.

Adding more non great vets would not have magically made Ottawa's defense better. It was in fact a relatively mediocre defense. They ranked 13th for the shots against. They ranked 18th for the high danger chances against. Not great but better than their ranking. They had terrible goaltending and finsihed 21st for the goals scored which was a bigger issue. The age of their defense was pretty damn far in the list of their problem.

Don't think we need to add vets just for the sake of adding a vet. We could be looking to replace Savard for a younger 28-29 years old dman absolutely but adding a 3rd 30+ years old dmen on top of Savard and Matheson would be a mistake if we plan to keep Savard past the deadline.

Trading Savard at the next TDL is the right time. If you keep him, it has to be for one year at a time at a low AAV. But yeah, at his age, it's best to trade him for pick at the next TDL.

Matheson needs to stay for a bit yet. We can trade him if the offer is too good to refuse. Other than that, lets not shop him and let teams call us. He's not bad in his own zone like some are exaggerating. It's just not his strength and he needs the kids to mature so he doesn't feel like he has to do too much. It's not easy to acquire puck mover like this.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Last season was reported that Calgary was interested in Harris

Harris vs Pospisil

Who says no?

I would say close in value (1/1) but shouldn't we not add clutter to the bottom 6? I think we should take the best pick we can get if we move Harris (if not in a trade package to get a top 6F).

My strategy would be to prolong the draft power. Even if it's a late 2nd or 3rd rounder. We have guys that may improve next year... Heineman, Farrell, Ylonen, RHP.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Money wise you are correct. I dont think MTL can/want to win a bidding war.

Age wise, well yeah he's older at 29, but you can't only have 22 yr. Want to avoid the OTT mistake here. Long term, Matheson will be hopefully be replace by Hutson and a mix of Reibacher/Mailloux.
Savard is getting old and slow. Adding Pesce allows you to trade Savard at TDL

I should add. I would prefer they not sign a UFA at all this Summer. BUT... if they did, this is the one that make sense to me.

Honestly, apart from health and investing in a LD instead of a RD, Ottawa's D is fine. Their goaltending and offensive depth (and defensive play of forwards were bigger issues).

You also want to avoid mistakes that Ottawa made by going for it too soon.

There are moves for Montreal to make, but they're still at the stage of determining if they have a core to build around, and I'd hope they get a better idea of that before looking to fill out the roster.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020

My comment about OTT is not on the age of the d-group only, it's regarding the need to have a mix of vet with the young guys. Adding Pesce, which I want to stress again, would be a logical choice for a UFA this summer, not a necessity, would add not only a good vet, but bring an upgrade on Savard and bring something that we don't have in the pipeline: big defensive RD that can play for the next 5yrs??

The other thing is that, this allow you to trade Savard at the TDL.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
Honestly, apart from health and investing in a LD instead of a RD, Ottawa's D is fine. Their goaltending and offensive depth (and defensive play of forwards were bigger issues).

You also want to avoid mistakes that Ottawa made by going for it too soon.

There are moves for Montreal to make, but they're still at the stage of determining if they have a core to build around, and I'd hope they get a better idea of that before looking to fill out the roster.

I'm far from advocating to sign a UFA... Read my previous message. My preferred approach would be to trade for another "Dach" and weaponize the cap hit for 1yrs. Assess what you have, then spend on UFA knowing where are the holes.

That said, while Mailloux and Reinbacher will secure a role at some point, there is still a hole on RD. I dont think that there is an ideal partner for Hutson in the system. I also look at the UFA group for summer 25 and there is no RD like Pesce that may become available. So you have to ask yourself if you want to take a chance on him now

Reactions: bsl

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I have a feeling that Barron is a bust. we will see. but he seems to be a weak link
How are you able to post that, unscathed?

I got trashed by @Rob Sense for merely suggesting that the Habs could explore trading Barron for a similarly underperforming forward.

Apparently, I committed heresy on Barron while you flat out say he’s a bust and there’s no fallout. :laugh:

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
Last season was reported that Calgary was interested in Harris

Harris vs Pospisil

Who says no?
This is an interesting trade.

On the one hand, part of me still believes Harris can be a 5, maybe even a 4 on a competing team. I also think Harris is the better player, but Pospisil brings another dimension that we don't have.

I think I'd pull the trigger which makes me believe the Flames would want more.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Wont happen but trading Matheson could be great for our future

Matheson to DET for 15th overall

Trade 15th overall + Jets pick to move up

We can leave the draft with Demidov/Lindstrom + Sennecke/Helenius/Eiserman or one of the top RD’s
I would do this in a heartbeat. Easy win for the Habs. I doubt Detroit is interested.

Reactions: Mr Bop

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
This is an interesting trade.

On the one hand, part of me still believes Harris can be a 5, maybe even a 4 on a competing team. I also think Harris is the better player, but Pospisil brings another dimension that we don't have.

I think I'd pull the trigger which makes me believe the Flames would want more.
4th or 5th on a competing team…

What would you say he is on the Habs?

Behind Matheson and Guhle for sure. So max 3rd

Would hurt more to see Arber and Struble go. So max 5th

Lets call him ahead of Barron? So 6, Barron 7th

Should be soon behind all of Hutson, Mailloux, Reinbacher? My guess is at least 1 makes it next season. So down to 7th.

(Not even mentioning Savard who should play ahead of Harris one more season.) More like 8th.

Ahead of Kovacevic.

7th-8th on the Habs as of today with 1 prospect making it?

How can he be 4th on a competing team?

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I have a feeling that Barron is a bust. we will see. but he seems to be a weak link
Bust? Really?

I'm legit curious as to what a "bust" is to you?

As far as NHL games played...
He's 5th from his draft class...
& 11th from combined 2019 (23 dmen in first 2 rounds) & 2020 (14 dmen in Rd 1/2) class.

He's also t-6th in goals scored by dmen from those two classes.

Not that games played or goals are the definitive standard, but I find it fascinating that a player who has achieved more than the vast majority of his draft peers (+1 older draft year) in the NHL could be viewed as a "bust" before his 23rd birthday?

Are the 26 other dmen picked in the top 2 rounds those two years who haven't seen as much NHL time also busts?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad