GDT: Trades & Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Anything is possible, and I'd say there's certainly a chance Marner decides he doesn't want to deal with the media/pressure. But he also is in full control of things, and imo pride is a difficult thing to overcome.

He also wouldn't be the first soon to be ufa in history who opted to decide to play out his contract and then decide his future later. If the team signals they don't want him now, he may decide to wait them out to see if they change their mind, or see if a new President comes in and feels differently

Most players who do that want to sign. Very few refuse to be traded and want to leave. Maybe none?

He may. But can you imagine the daily pressure? It would be insane. It already clearly gets to him. People putting shambles in his mind.

If he wants out. Just waiting out the clock in Toronto and leaving for nothing would be insane.

He lived through JT and the isles.

If the leafs decide to move on.

Your thought is that Marner

1.) will be told he is not coming back and knows for a fact he is leaving anyway

2.) he doesn’t want an 8th year.

3.) he doesn’t want to work with other teams to know where he is going

4.) he wants to go through this year talking every day to the media he hates

5.) he wants to be JT of the isles and live there every day?

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Oh I am pretty sure the conversation was about Montour and not Liljegren. But yes we would probably get a 2nd or 3rd for Liljegren.
It is as well, comparing their development, as Montour has been offloaded twice for mid-round picks, and how we don't want that kind of situation.

The idea I've been thinking about is a trade with Bordeleau from San Jose.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
If he’s gone next year it won’t really matter.
Get something that will extend and solidify a position.

Ideally a player that could grow into a top 6 c would be ideal.

Any ideas?
Mctavish? Mercer? Wright?
McTavish would be a dream, I’m a huge fan of his. Bertuzzi - McTavish - Cowan would be such a good and pain in the ass line to play against.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
McTavish would be a dream, I’m a huge fan of his. Bertuzzi - McTavish - Cowan would be such a good and pain in the ass line to play against.

I’m even wondering if zegras plus. (2 years at 5.75 then rfa) would be ok.

I would prefer McTavish of course.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
It is as well, comparing their development, as Montour has been offloaded twice for mid-round picks, and how we don't want that kind of situation.

Agreed, but I don't think we have time to wait for that any longer.

If signing Montour and trading Lily is on the table and viable, I think you pull that trigger.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
If you want to change the culture Zegras is not the answer.
Indeed.

He is cut from the exact same cloth as these other turds.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about this even more, Zegras hypothetically in Toronto would skip the terrible stage and go straight to utter calamity.

Last edited:
Reactions: torontoblood

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Marner isn't going to waive

He's a Toronto boy, A fan of the team, he's been here close on a decade and I'm sure he's got a ton of mates on the team and his family lives in the GTA

Best of luck getting him to agree to move

On the other hand the writings very close to being on the wall with regards to the appetite to resign him at crazy dollars. Sooner or later it will dawn on him that he's not going to be here whether he wants to or not as he won't find a contract (at terms he will want here).

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
It’s a cost controlled 2c which would give 6 mill in cap.

Not saying it’s ideal. But if he wants out that might be a soft deal that could be it.
Zegras has been playing more wing than center, he’s not very good down the middle.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
On the other hand the writings very close to being on the wall with regards to the appetite to resign him at crazy dollars. Sooner or later it will dawn on him that he's not going to be here whether he wants to or not as he won't find a contract (at terms he will want here).
They can very easily make him the villain this summer if they want

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Agreed, but I don't think we have time to wait for that any longer.

If signing Montour and trading Lily is on the table and viable, I think you pull that trigger.
Well, as long as they have quite a shallow D core, I think they should make time.

But, I agree, if you can get a C of a similar age (for example), then go for it.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If we had the draft picks, I would have been interested in lobbing a grenade offer sheet at Jeremy Swayman just to wreck Boston's cap structure.

KOZ37

May 17, 2010
What do you think the Leafs could get for Marner? How nice would it be to move him to fill holes and then sign Reinhart? Bruins fan here. Just wondering what the off-season might look like should they not come back in this series?

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
What do you think the Leafs could get for Marner? How nice would it be to move him to fill holes and then sign Reinhart? Bruins fan here. Just wondering what the off-season might look like should they not come back in this series?

Not a lot anymore. He's had another embarrassing playoffs. He's got just one year left on a huge contract, and a NMC. The market is so limited that his value is severely diminished.

KOZ37

May 17, 2010
Not a lot anymore. He's had another embarrassing playoffs. He's got just one year left on a huge contract, and a NMC. The market is so limited that his value is severely diminished.
Any chance a team like Ottawa wants him? Seems like some of there top players want out. They might want a young signed player.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

that’s pretty silly. He is a 95-100 pt player who is In the dog house this week.

He makes 8mill and after July 2 makes 775k. There is easily a market for him.

Reactions: TMLAM34

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Personally, I don't think my Leafs fandom could survive Trevor Zegras becoming a Toronto Maple Leaf.

That guy makes Mitch Marner look like Mark Messier.
BE SURE TO LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE TO ALL MY SOCIAL MEDIA FEEDS!

Zegras makes me physically ill.

Reactions: torontoblood

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Any chance a team like Ottawa wants him? Seems like some of there top players want out. They might want a young signed player.

Unless Marner is willing to sign an extension before the trade, it won’t work. How much do you think they’ll trade for one season of Marner before he walks as a UFA? Not a lot.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

It would come down to where he is likely to sign. So no one really knows: la/ducks/nash/isles/devils are my guesses. Maybe even Detroit if Kane goes.

NYI: puluck plus or Dobson. Heck even Sorokin if they are done with him

NJD. For Meir? Or try to get one of Merced/nemec

LA: for fiala?

Anaheim. For McTavish or zegras plus?

Nash for saris?

I’m putting values all over the place. I don’t really know.

I would want a 2 c or rd or stud goalie.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
that’s pretty silly. He is a 95-100 pt player who is In the dog house this week.

He makes 8mill and after July 2 makes 775k. There is easily a market for him.

What teams would want him? What teams have enough cap space? With what teams will Marner sign an extension? Once you realize all three of those conditions have to be met before a deal is even considered, you understand how small the market will be.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
What teams would want him? What teams have enough cap space? With what teams will Marner sign an extension? Once you realize all three of those conditions have to be met before a deal is even considered, you understand how small the market will be.

My guesses are
Jersey. Stl. Nash. Anaheim. Detroit. Isles. Seattle. Utah. La. Wash. Pitt.

All need scoring wingers. Marner could be laundered through another team.

Of those.
NJD-tons of cap and pieces
ANA. Tons of cap/peices.
Isles-could make it work.
Nash- would have to be saros prob.
Seattle- would have to be based around weight.
La- would need third party or go for like fiala.

Not sure what he would want. Weather. Close to Toronto chance to win. Tax free.

But there are more than enough options there to figure something out.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
My guesses are
Jersey. Stl. Nash. Anaheim. Detroit. Isles. Seattle. Utah. La. Wash. Pitt.

All need scoring wingers. Marner could be laundered through another team.

Of those.
NJD-tons of cap and pieces
ANA. Tons of cap/peices.
Isles-could make it work.
Nash- would have to be saros prob.
Seattle- would have to be based around weight.
La- would need third party or go for like fiala.

Not sure what he would want. Weather. Close to Toronto chance to win. Tax free.

But there are more than enough options there to figure something out.

Which of those teams think they can resign him? If they can’t, what do they pay for just 1 season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark