Value of: Trading John Tavares

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
Assuming he waives his no trade clause what do you believe he can be traded for.

pros: He has 1 year left on his deal, hes a veteran, can score goals not at the same rate he used to but can still score, and is solid defensively

cons:makes 11 million dollars a year

Per capfriendly:John Tavares' salary is $7,950,000 and his cap hit is $11,000,000 for the 2023-24 season. His salary is comprised of $7,040,000 in signing bonuses and $910,000 in base salary. He is a 33 year old centre who was born on Sep. 20, 1990. He was drafted 1st overall by the New York Islanders in the 1st round of the 2009 entry draft. He has signed 3 contracts worth a total value of $121,250,000. Over a career that spans 15 seasons (with at least 1 NHL GP), he has a total 1040 Pts in 1109 GP, and 45 playoffs Pts in 59 GP. He will be a UFA at the end of the 2024-25 season when he is 34 years old.

also he had 65 points in 80 games this year.

So the question is what could he fetch, would a retention be needed, and assuming he waives what teams are most likely he would waive to and be able to take 8-11 million dollars in cap?

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
If he waived his NT, he could be traded to a team who wants to hit the floor of the salary cap requirements as his cap hit is very high but the amount another team has to pay him is minimal.

I don't know, for a single season of contract value, he might fetch a 3rd or 4th Rounder. That is how valuable cap space is.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
If he waived his NT, he could be traded to a team who wants to hit the floor of the salary cap requirements as his cap hit is very high but the amount another team has to pay him is minimal.

I don't know, for a single season of contract value, he might fetch a 3rd or 4th Rounder. That is how valuable cap space is.
Wait, you think the Leafs would get a 3rd/4th rounder for Tavares in a capdump scenario? LOL

It would cost the Leafs a 1st to dump him.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Assuming he waives his no trade clause what do you believe he can be traded for.

pros: He has 1 year left on his deal, hes a veteran, can score goals not at the same rate he used to but can still score, and is solid defensively

cons:makes 11 million dollars a year

Per capfriendly:John Tavares' salary is $7,950,000 and his cap hit is $11,000,000 for the 2023-24 season. His salary is comprised of $7,040,000 in signing bonuses and $910,000 in base salary. He is a 33 year old centre who was born on Sep. 20, 1990. He was drafted 1st overall by the New York Islanders in the 1st round of the 2009 entry draft. He has signed 3 contracts worth a total value of $121,250,000. Over a career that spans 15 seasons (with at least 1 NHL GP), he has a total 1040 Pts in 1109 GP, and 45 playoffs Pts in 59 GP. He will be a UFA at the end of the 2024-25 season when he is 34 years old.

also he had 65 points in 80 games this year.

So the question is what could he fetch, would a retention be needed, and assuming he waives what teams are most likely he would waive to and be able to take 8-11 million dollars in cap?
Why don't we also assume he's 25 years old?

If Tavares is traded he will basically pick his team and the return will have almost no value outside of a couple mid-lineup players on smaller, mediocre contracts

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
Cons: lifeless leader

He won't waive his ntc, doubt the Leafs ask him either. Marner is the one getting traded, no one is going to take on this contract unless they pay a team like Chicago to do it.

Reactions: Fatass

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Wait, you think the Leafs would get a 3rd/4th rounder for Tavares in a capdump scenario? LOL

It would cost the Leafs a 1st to dump him.
No, they would get a return. It would be way different if the other team had to pay him $11M. THey don't according to what was posted (I didnt check Cap Friendly, I take the OPs word), and that is an $11M hit but they only have to pay him $910k

$910k for a 29 goal scorer is a hell of a bargain. He could join a team outside of the playoffs who wants to hit their Cap floor without actually having to spend to it, while also gaining a player who could help them sneak into the playoffs.

Hell, Utah could be such a team. His name still has value.

This is assuming he waives his NMC of course which is a big ask in his final season. It never hurts to ask though, especially if you can find a home he would accept.

Marner is the guy who needed to go, this was obvious after the Habs series. This franchise is owned by people who don't understand hockey. Run, it seems, by those more interested in stringing out their employment than actually making the difficult (and right) decision on personnel.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
No, they would get a return. It would be way different if the other team had to pay him $11M. THey don't according to what was posted (I didnt check Cap Friendly, I take the OPs word), and that is an $11M hit but they only have to pay him $910k

$910k for a 29 goal scorer is a hell of a bargain. He could join a team outside of the playoffs who wants to hit their Cap floor without actually having to spend to it, while also gaining a player who could help them sneak into the playoffs.

This is assuming he waives his NMC of course which is a big ask in his final season. It never hurts to ask though, especially if you can find a home he would accept.
Other teams would punish the Leafs as capspace has huge value. Plus, what team with 11M in capspace and who is willing to take on a rental like JT would JT waive for? None.

This is pointless.

Good luck with that

Tavares could be moved next year tho IMO
Next year he's a UFA. lol

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Only other fans bring this up, likely so they can find excuses to crap on him and the Leafs. Why on earth would the Leafs give anything at all of value to move him or take on cap dumps to make it work. He will simply play out his last season and be done.

Tavares is the last of the Leafs worries

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Only other fans bring this up, likely so they can find excuses to crap on him and the Leafs. Why on earth would the Leafs give anything at all of value to move him or take on cap dumps to make it work. He will simply play out his last season and be done.

I think you are right that other fans revel in how terrible a contract JT is and how he is keeping the Leafs from fielding a competitive D or G.

Those fans are just not very nice.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018

I wouldn't say he is the last of their worries, he isn't the sole reason this team has failed come playoffs though.

Ledge And Dairy

Assuming he waives is a pretty tall tale. The reason people are suggesting Marner might waive is he is still playing for his next contract and is much more clearly under scrutiny from the team and fanbase. That plus Marner despite all this has positive trade value, Tavares doesn't. Everyone more or less knows what their getting from JT at this point, he's played about as expected these playoffs which is fine but not amazing.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I wouldn't say he is the last of their worries, he isn't the sole reason this team has failed come playoffs though.

He really is. Like, do literally nothing and the problem solves itself. This team has a window to the end of Matthews contract, so 4 more seasons. Pretty clear to me next season should be a retool season where they make big changes to the core (Marner), and try to restructure the roster and make some hockey deals over the next season.

They will try again in 2026 - 2029

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
Why don't we also assume he's 25 years old?

If Tavares is traded he will basically pick his team and the return will have almost no value outside of a couple mid-lineup players on smaller, mediocre contracts
Because him waiving is actually possible unlike going back in time also since hes on his last year its more likely he will waive, do you always ask dumb questions?

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Because him waiving is actually possible unlike going back in time also since hes on his last year its more likely he will waive, do you always ask dumb questions?
Yes, I was being slightly hyperbolic. Good catch!.... although I thought maybe the rest of my post made it clear.

If Tavares waives, it will be to a very small number of teams. Talking about his value as though he would just waive for whoever wants him is useless.

He will pick his destination, if he waives at all, and the return will be dictated 1000% by whichever team he is open to (assuming they want him, which is also unlikely).

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
Yes, I was being slightly hyperbolic. Good catch!.... although I thought maybe the rest of my post made it clear.

If Tavares waives, it will be to a very small number of teams. Talking about his value as though he would just waive for whoever wants him is useless.

He will pick his destination, if he waives at all, and the return will be dictated 1000% by whichever team he is open to (assuming they want him, which is also unlikely).
Well imo that would be beneficial for the leafs as they can finally bolster their defence with actual top 4 men who can move the puck and a goalie, as for a 2c they can slot domi, sign a UFA or trade for one during the TDL, getting rid of his salary would be what's best for the leafs besides trading Marner.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Well imo that would be beneficial for the leafs as they can finally bolster their defence with actual top 4 men who can move the puck and a goalie, as for a 2c they can slot domi, sign a UFA or trade for one during the TDL, getting rid of his salary would be what's best for the leafs besides trading Marner.
Great, now you just need to consider it from literally any other perspective than what is best for the Leafs and you will see that none of what you said is at all relevant.

Reactions: CTHabsfan

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
He's not being moved.

If the Leafs don't mount a comeback, I think the most obvious path forward is a coaching change and some tinkering next year.

You can re-assess and remake bigger changes heading the following year when 22m comes off the book in JT and Marner. Maybe they field some calls on Marner this offseason if he'll waive his NMC, but not JT given he has pretty much no value in addition to the NMC.

Reactions: Bill Herlyn

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I hate to break it to you but John plays this scene on repeat for all the Leafs fans who want him gone:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: PWJunior

McVespa99

May 13, 2007

Marner is the guy who needed to go, this was obvious after the Habs series. This franchise is owned by people who don't understand hockey. Run, it seems, by those more interested in stringing out their employment than actually making the difficult (and right) decision on personnel.
And why would he waive for a team like that???

Reactions: bernmeister

Green

Nov 13, 2019
there is zero chance Tavares is going to play anywhere else but Toronto for the remainder of his career

Reactions: klmdg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad