Confirmed with Link: Travis Green named new head coach

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa

1715095997011.png

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
damn what a letdown….feels like when we thought Boudreau was coming here but we got Boucher instead (I guess it worked out that first year)

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I'll take McLellan's boring ass hockey any day over whatever tf Green brings. We're going to be the same dump and chase team we were during the early years of the rebuild.

flyingfingers

Mar 6, 2024
Remember a week ago when we were discussing whether McLellan or Evason would be an acceptable fit if we missed out on Berube?

I remember.

Honestly, this is a good expectation reset for fans.

The other week a few buddies of mine were talking about the possible return in a Chychrun deal. They were throwing around names of young top 6 wingers or RS defensemen.

Guys! It's going to be a 2nd rounder!

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
What is with the writing in this press release?

"Green has experience leading a young core like the Senators’ including his 2020 playoff run boasting a 10-7 record with one of the youngest rosters in the league en route to the Western Conference Semi-Finals where they took the Vegas Golden Knights to the breaking point in game seven before their run came to an end."

Followed by:

"Most recently Green served as the interim head coach of the New Jersey Devils where he amassed an 8-20-1 record over the final 21 games of this season after they had relinquished Lindy Ruff of his head coaching duties."

Is this a professional organization? ChatGPT writes better than this.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
Well colour me surprised.

Two notable excerpts from the press release:

Travis Green has been named the next head coach in franchise history, a title he will hold through the end of the 2027-28 NHL season.
Is that a 4 YEAR CONTRACT?!?! WTF!
“After speaking to several highly qualified candidates, it became clear that Travis is the right fit to lead our group,” said Staios. “As we’ve routinely stated, developing a winning culture is paramount to our aspiration of achieving sustained success. Travis has a burning desire to win, is passionate about teaching and holds his players to a very high standard. We’re excited to welcome he and his family to the Ottawa-Gatineau community.”

Did someone forget to tell Staios that the loss column is the second, not the first, stat you see when looking at W-L-T records?

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
4 year deal

f*** f*** f*** f***
"...a title he will hold through the end of the 2027-28 NHL season."

Yeah. Sure he will.

Did someone forget to tell Staios that the loss column is the second, not the first, stat you see when looking at W-L-T records?
I like how they couldn't even gussy it up. Just had to include those losing records for the Nucks and Devils in there.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley

"Green has experience leading a young core like the Senators’ including his 2020 playoff run boasting a 10-7 record with one of the youngest rosters in the league en route to the Western Conference Semi-Finals where they took the Vegas Golden Knights to the breaking point in game seven before their run came to an end."

Followed by:

"Most recently Green served as the interim head coach of the New Jersey Devils where he amassed an 8-20-1 record over the final 21 games of this season after they had relinquished Lindy Ruff of his head coaching duties."

You missed the best part, the title. "Got our guy"

flyingfingers

Mar 6, 2024

Followed by:

Bruce has a side hustle as the team copywriter.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
With a record like his, Green is a coach you give a 1-2 year show me deal. Extend him afterwards if he earns it.

But 4 years right off the hop?

Why? I just don't get it. It makes zero sense to me.
If he sucks they will fire him like every other NHL org fires their coaches, sometimes before their deal even kicks in. Does it really matter?

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
With a record like his, Green is a coach you give a 1-2 year show me deal. Extend him afterwards if he earns it.

But 4 years right off the hop?

Why? I just don't get it. It makes zero sense to me.

There are very few coaches I would give a four year deal to without having actually coached the team first.

Green sure as hell isn't one of them.

If he sucks they will fire him like every other NHL org fires their coaches, sometimes before their deal even kicks in. Does it really matter?

I get the sense we don't have the extra cash to burn on frivolous shit like Travis Green

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010

Followed by:

I like 8-20-1 in 21 games. The math isn’t mathing

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Andlauer promised best in class, gave us GM Staios who gave us Head Coach Travis Green.

As a Sens fan, I hope it works out. But I can definitively say that Travis Green is FAR from the best in class coach available now (there isn't a shortage of quality coaches in free agency). The track record doesn't jive with what Staios is being quoted.

Just feels like we have hired a DJ Smith type coach wrt track record/pedigree if not style, but would be very happy to be proven wrong.

flyingfingers

Mar 6, 2024
Andlauer promised best in class, gave us Staios who gave us Travis Green.

As a Sens fan, I hope it works out. But I can definitively say that Travis Green is FAR from the best in class coach available now (there isn't a shortage of quality coaches in free agency). The track record doesn't jive with what Staios is being quoted.

Just feels like we have hired a DJ Smith type coach wrt track record/pedigree if not style, but would be very happy to be proven wrong.

He also gave us a press release that reads as if it was written by Pierre Dorion.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Andlauer promised best in class, gave us GM Staios who gave us Head Coach Travis Green.

"Best in class" is the new "five years of unparalleled success".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad