TSN McKenzie's Top 15 Rankings, NHL Draft Lottery Edition

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
What’s wrong with his game? He looks like a star with no real weakness other than slightly mediocre size.
I do think 11 is low for Catton (I have him in the 6-8 range), the fact that he’s almost certainly a winger at the NHL level makes him much less interesting.

Silayev at 3 after his mediocre second half seems insane to me.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I do think 11 is low for Catton (I have him in the 6-8 range), the fact that he’s almost certainly a winger at the NHL level makes him much less interesting.

Silayev at 3 after his mediocre second half seems insane to me.
It’s getting easier to stick at center now in the NHL. Players like Hughes and Bedard didn’t have old school center profiles and neither has been moved off center.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
It’s getting easier to stick at center now in the NHL. Players like Hughes and Bedard didn’t have old school center profiles and neither has been moved off center.
Yet.

Hughes has played on the wing at times and Bedard may move to wing if the Hawks get another top-tier center prospect. I personally wouldn’t really be confident with either as a center. They’re both atrocious defensively in the NHL.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Yet.

Hughes has played on the wing at times and Bedard may move to wing if the Hawks get another top-tier center prospect. I personally wouldn’t really be confident with either as a center. They’re both atrocious defensively in the NHL.
1000009821.jpg

Maybe if you measure defensive impact by faceoffs and blocked shots lmao

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
What’s wrong with his game? He looks like a star with no real weakness other than slightly mediocre size.
Likely in that "2nd tier" of skill when you compare to NHL star forwards/projected star forwards. Not a super big guy, so question of whether he's more of a "2nd skill guy" on a top line (wing or center next to a star wing) or a "skill guy" on a 2nd line (center).

Good player, will have good career, just not sure if "star" is a bit on the extreme end if you're looking at more a 2nd line kinda guy.

This is where convos can get kinda dumb. If we're talking about a player who is like 10/11 out of every hockey player in the world age-eligible for the draft, there's a ton more good than bad, but everyone wants to focus on negging players in a game of "find the bust" rather than recognizing how extreme it is to be able to play in the NHL at all.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Iggy at 10 and Yakemchuk at 12 make Calgary's pick reeealllll interesting.
If both are available, Id have to imagine that the pick will be Iginla. Conroy picked up a lot of defensemen at the deadline, none of the trades brought in a forward prospect. Yakemchuk is a good prospect though.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
In my opinion, Hughes is one of the better finishers in the league. But if the JFresh card says he’s bad at it, then we both must be absolutely crazy, right?
Except it doesn't say that, it's a 3 year trend weighed down by his below average finishing in 20-21. As he heals and goes into next year I'm sure it'll adjust to reflect that.

What it doesn't show is blocked shots or faceoff % which is what I assume your claim of him being "atrocious defensively" is based on.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Except it doesn't say that, it's a 3 year trend weighed down by his below average finishing in 20-21. As he heals and goes into next year I'm sure it'll adjust to reflect that.

What it doesn't show is blocked shots or faceoff % which is what I assume your claim of him being "atrocious defensively" is based on.
Centers that stink at Faceoffs at a certain point in their career should probably get moved to Wing. I find Center hyper-focus to be a bit odd of a Hockey Trend of the last 30 years or so when everything else suggests play should be a lot more positionless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad