GDT: U18 Semifinals (USA-SVK, CAN-SWE)

Janvonpobben

Sep 15, 2021
I remember world junior finals where penalties were 8-1 from every Bedard dive etc. Crosby dived win vs Finland in Sochi etc.
Classic canadian fans. Even when they win they complain about euro refs.

I recall sweden losing wjc final 2018 (or 2019 i dont remember) with 7-1 calls in favor of canada.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
A Russian fan saying this is rich.
I've never seen worse reffing than that one tournament final in Minsk between Russia and Finland. I think it has even a youtube video of all the bad calls. Refs gave Russia that win. It was 2014 I think.

It has nothing to do with this game but sometimes reffing sucks and I've been on the better side sometimes. Canada won this game at least, I don't think they'll beat US for gold though.

Reactions: jj cale

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Won't lie, really hoping Slovakia can pull out the bronze.

This feels like a great preview of the World's.. same 3 headed monster there. US, Canada and Sweden all looking a notch above.

Lou Sassole

Oct 15, 2020
As a hockey fan I think that game misconduct is the wrong call, but you have to appreciate them trying to protect the players by erring on the side of caution. If it’s my 17 year old kid out there, I like that call.

Tons of talent on both teams, hockey in general is producing so much talent these days. Good time to be a hockey fan.
They don't have to play on the team or play hockey. It's a choice. Fundamentally changing what the game has always been, is ridiculous. I get taking out head shots, but this was undeniably clean, so you are just excusing incompetent officiating.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
They don't have to play on the team or play hockey. It's a choice. Fundamentally changing what the game has always been, is ridiculous. I get taking out head shots, but this was undeniably clean, so you are just excusing incompetent officiating.
I used to have the same stance as you, and to a large degree I still agree. The game been changing a lot in the past 30 years, and constantly towards the gentle side.

This was a bad call, I agree. Especially after a review, I thought that was strange. But you will have to come to terms with the fact that the game will get softer and softer, and you’ll see more calls like this in the future, not less.

Reactions: FLAMESFAN

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
This was a bad call, I agree. Especially after a review, I thought that was strange. But you will have to come to terms with the fact that the game will get softer and softer, and you’ll see more calls like this in the future, not less.
Yes. CTE changed everything. A concussion would have been dismissed decades ago as having your "bell rung", is now something to be avoided at all costs. Still, I think it was a piss poor call.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Fans from every country complain about officials and all sorts of other stuff, but sure Russians dont complain ever... Lol

Of course maybe it's because there 1000 times more Canadians on the forum than Russians, but I personally don't remember a lot of whines about officiating from Russians.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
1st period : Boston was better
2nd period : We were better
3rd period : Boston was better.

4th period : LEAFS WIN IN O.T.!!!

Lou Sassole

Oct 15, 2020
I used to have the same stance as you, and to a large degree I still agree. The game been changing a lot in the past 30 years, and constantly towards the gentle side.

I agree with you when it comes to younger then 18, but once people are adults, we allow them to engage in plenty of activities that are known to harm them(smoking, drinking, vaping, etc...). So, If they want to play hockey, football, rugby, etc.... they do so knowing there are risks associated with them. My real issue is with the nerfing of the sports at a professional level and the inconsistency of officiating. I support getting rid of cheap shots, but nobody wants the sport turned into Ice Capades.

WayTooCold

Jun 9, 2023
it's absolutely not at all insane to whine about a penalty Finland got called for.... over a decade ago..... in a game where Canada vastly outplayed Finland...... at a different tournament and age level than this...... in a thread about four teams, none of which is Finland. Not insane in the least.
The whole Republic of Finland is still in full PTSD after that blatant Crosby dive in Sochi. Crosby took full advantage of dumb IIHF refs. He was fully aware of the low level of IIHF reffing and did the wicked thing.

Would Canada give their most honest and sincerest apologies to people of the Republic of Finland? For that blatant Crosby dive in Sochi Olympics.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Well, keep the bad penalties down, contain Hagens as best you can, get some big saves and dig in and skate hard all game, battle.

Playing the U.S in this tournament always feels like the world championships back in the day when we used to play the Soviet Union with our thrown together best we could do teams against the well oiled super duper team.

brings back good memories even though we naturally were on the losing end of it, it was the challenge that got you going as a fan.

Hope the boys acquit themselves well.

Reactions: FLAMESFAN

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I've never seen worse reffing than that one tournament final in Minsk between Russia and Finland. I think it has even a youtube video of all the bad calls. Refs gave Russia that win. It was 2014 I think.

It has nothing to do with this game but sometimes reffing sucks and I've been on the better side sometimes. Canada won this game at least, I don't think they'll beat US for gold though.
We got the job done, what a comeback by our boys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad