Player Discussion Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen (2017, 54th)

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Last season I saw a big athletic goalie that had talent but played spastic behind terrible defense. Fundamentals went out the window as he scrambled laterally in vain against HDCs. Despite that he had stretches of showing #1 ability, and looked like he could turn a corner if he had some stable defense. I mean, not good defense, but at least not 5 odd-mans or breakaways every start.

To me he showed great potential, but it was clear at the beginning of this season that KA and/or the coaching staff thought a lot less of him, or maybe decided that Levi was all that as a rookie. Either way it's one of the issues that makes me seriously question their collective judgement. UPL didn't get a start until almost two weeks into the season. Levi continued to get starts after showing he wasn't ready, when Comrie got hurt and UPL was already showing to be the better guy.

The bias or poor judgement was clear from the start. I just hope they don't stay hard-headed about the situation and force Levi as the starter or 1A guy whenever he's done in Rochester (unless he REALLY proves it).

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Last season I saw a big athletic goalie that had talent but played spastic behind terrible defense. Fundamentals went out the window as he scrambled laterally in vain against HDCs. Despite that he had stretches of showing #1 ability, and looked like he could turn a corner if he had some stable defense. I mean, not good defense, but at least not 5 odd-mans or breakaways every start.

To me he showed great potential, but it was clear at the beginning of this season that KA and/or the coaching staff thought a lot less of him, or maybe decided that Levi was all that as a rookie. Either way it's one of the issues that makes me seriously question their collective judgement. UPL didn't get a start until almost two weeks into the season. Levi continued to get starts after showing he wasn't ready, when Comrie got hurt and UPL was already showing to be the better guy.

The bias or poor judgement was clear from the start. I just hope they don't stay hard-headed about the situation and force Levi as the starter or 1A guy whenever he's done in Rochester (unless he REALLY proves it).
I hope that UPL's growth this season shows the Buffalo FO how it takes goalies time to develop properly.

I also hope that they make a move this offseason to add a solid 1B with UPL as there is a decent chance that he takes a step back next season because goalies.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX

Levi at least had and still has a winning record, though UPL absolutely should have been the backup and not the #3 to start the year, getting a few more starts during the start of the season

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
What I like about Luukkonen (and this run he's been on) -- is it doesn't seem like a fluke.
He's looks a steady, blue-collar sort, who appears to be well prepared each night to put in good shift of 60 (or more) minutes.
His improvement has been of the steady variety, too.
It's confidence, he knows the net is his. As @Chainshot said he's looking like his old Sudbury self

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It also shows that tenders need reps. They need to see alot of pucks to stay sharp. It appears we are seeing that pay dividends in Rochester as well. One has to wonder why it took so long.
It took until Ullmark's D+7 season for him to be a solid NHL goalie.

This is UPL's D+7 season.

Maybe it didn't take long and it just took what it takes...

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
I think the "takes long" comment was more about why did it take management so long to realize both goalies needed to play consistently to improve, not "why did it take so long for XXX goalie to get good".

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Looks to be far more confident in playing his angles, to me.

And his confidence in reading his angles and adjusting was especially clear during the shootout v Carolina. He is ahead of the shooters currently, whereas in the past he was strictly reacting.

1708963940241.png

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
It took until Ullmark's D+7 season for him to be a solid NHL goalie.

This is UPL's D+7 season.

Maybe it didn't take long and it just took what it takes...
I wasn't referring to UPLs timeframe. Rather the fact any goalie needs to see as many pucks as possible, especially a starter. I thought splitting time early was detrimental to both goalies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I wasn't referring to UPLs timeframe. Rather the fact any goalie needs to see as many pucks as possible, especially a starter. I thought splitting time early was detrimental to both goalies.
Gotcha.

I think it is a sign that they mishandled Levi.

GMs oftentimes overvalue "their guys" over guys they inherited. I think that may have been a factor in how they have handled things with Levi since he signed last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad