Underdog up 2-0, game 3 goes to OT...

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I feel like this is an underrated moment in a series, when an underdog team has taken the first two games of a series and then game 3 goes into overtime. It's such a pivotal moment, both for the obvious reason that a 3-0 lead is virtually insurmountable, and for the psychological reason that it can completely change the "feel" of the series in one direction or the other. There are some examples that seem to support that:

- 2001, Leafs take first two games by shutout against the heavily favored (based on standings) Senators, and are cruising to a 3rd straight shutout victory. However, two goals in the last few minutes send the game to overtime, only to see the Leafs win it on a Cory Cross slapshot. The rest is history. Leafs sweep the series. If they lose that game it's catastrophic. Sure they'd still be up 2-1 but they were the underdogs to begin with and Ottawa would have been on a huge wave of momentum.

- 2018, Columbus takes the first two games against the caps and has the chance to take a stranglehold in game 3 overtime. They fail, and of course never win another game. Washington goes 15-6 following that OT win en route to a cup. Probably would've turned out very differently if they hadn't pulled off the game 3 win.

- 2020, defending champion Blues are down 2-0 to the young upstart Canucks. The Blues have been the better team but the Canucks have ridden some luck and opportunistic scoring to take the first two games. Game 3 goes to overtime; do the Blues go down meekly or fight back? It's the latter, and then they win game 4 in convincing fashion. This series is not over but it's a whole new series now, and it hinged on that game 3 overtime.

- 2020, the Islanders take the first two games against the capitals, who get the chance for redemption in game 3 overtime. They fail, and are now staring straight up a rocky embankment if they hope to make a series out of this. It seems quite certain this one will now turn out very differently than 2018 did, and it's because of the results of game 3 overtime that it feels that way.

These are just the first ones that came to mind; do you know any others?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dissonance Jr

Oct 6, 2017
— This doesn't fit perfectly since it wasn't a game 3 overtime, but the 2002 Detroit-Vancouver series had a very similar dynamic. The upstart Canucks, who had been the hottest team in the league since January, won the first two games and looked like they might actually be able to hold on against the runaway best team in the league that year. Then it's Game 3, tied 1-1 with the second period almost over, and Lidstrom lobs in a goal from center ice past Cloutier. The Canucks just deflated after that and Detroit won 4 straight en route to a Cup.

— More along the lines you're looking for: 1992 Detroit-Minnesota — the North Stars, a huge underdog going in, won the first two games and built up leads of 2-0 and 4-2 in Game 3. But Detroit clawed back to tie it in the third and then scored just a minute into overtime and ended up taking the series in seven.

Last edited:

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Also, I know this isn't what you're looking for, but in 2006 the 5th seed San Jose Sharks had a 2-0 series lead on the 8th seed Edmonton Oilers. Game 3 went to 3OT. I believe in 2OT, Thornton (96 assists) and Cheechoo (56 goals) get a 2-on-1 and Roloson makes an insane save. Oilers win the game, and the next three games to take the series in six.

By that point, the top four seeds (Detroit, Dallas, Calgary, Nashville) were all knocked out. My money says if Cheechoo scores that goal, the Sharks win the series and probably take down Anaheim in the next round with ease. After that, it's a coin flip between them and Carolina for the Cup. Knowing what we know now about how things turned out in San Jose (a decade-plus of outstanding regular season success followed my numerous playoff disappointments), I think about this huge save a lot.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
1977: Toronto (81 points) - Philadelphia (112 points)

Toronto won the first two games in Philadelphia. Flyers won Games 3 and 4 at Toronto in OT. In both Flyers' wins, the tying goals were scored in the final two minutes of regulation.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
The Devils vs Flyers in '95.

The Devils were officially underdogs in all 4 series, but it would be difficult to call them underdogs by the end of it.

And in this series the Game 3 OT didnt really change the series.

Devils up 2 games to none. Lindros scores in OT in Game 3, and Flyers win Game 4. Then Devils win 5 and 6.

Devils outshoot the Flyers by significant amounts in all 6 games.

Then the Devils outshoot the Red Wings by significant amounts in all 4 games in the finals.

Reactions: seventieslord

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Also, I know this isn't what you're looking for, but in 2006 the 5th seed San Jose Sharks had a 2-0 series lead on the 8th seed Edmonton Oilers. Game 3 went to 3OT. I believe in 2OT, Thornton (96 assists) and Cheechoo (56 goals) get a 2-on-1 and Roloson makes an insane save. Oilers win the game, and the next three games to take the series in six.

By that point, the top four seeds (Detroit, Dallas, Calgary, Nashville) were all knocked out. My money says if Cheechoo scores that goal, the Sharks win the series and probably take down Anaheim in the next round with ease. After that, it's a coin flip between them and Carolina for the Cup. Knowing what we know now about how things turned out in San Jose (a decade-plus of outstanding regular season success followed my numerous playoff disappointments), I think about this huge save a lot.

I've thought about that one before. The Sharks were such chokers that I believe Anaheim would beat them. They weren't the 2007 Ducks, but had a lot of pieces already in place. The Sharks were still 10 years removed from finally winning a Conference Finals.

Reactions: shadow1

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
COL/MIN 2014

it doesn’t fit perfectly since the underdog was down 0-2, but it was a classic “2-0 game 3, OT, pivot point” moment.

and the ending had a doozy of a goal courtesy of Mikael Granlund

• Wow
Reactions: Jim MacDonald

Dissonance Jr

Oct 6, 2017
Also the 1993 series between Buffalo (86 points) and Boston (109 points) is fun to think about.

Buffalo won the first two games and then took Game 3 in OT. Up until that point, it was hard to believe Buffalo would actually win. The Bruins then came roaring out of the gate in Game 4 to go up 5-2 early on but eventually lost in OT with the May-Day goal.

But what happens if Boston scores in Game 3 OT? It's certainly plausible they could've come back to win the series. And the Bruins had figured out Patrick Roy the previous 3 years, so it's at least possible they get past Montreal in the next round. Then on to the Islanders and Kings, who were hardly unstoppable.

What then? A Stanley Cup for Ray Bourque, who then finishes his career in Boston and never gets traded to Colorado? Or maybe Andy Moog was just done and the Bruins weren't going anywhere that year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
— More along the lines you're looking for: 1992 Detroit-Minnesota — the North Stars, a huge underdog going in, won the first two games and built up leads of 2-0 and 4-2 in Game 3. But Detroit clawed back to tie it in the third and then scored just a minute into overtime and ended up taking the series in seven.

Yves Racine was it? Been awhile, and I was pretty new to hockey at the time.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Favored Flyers were down 0-2 to the Pens in 2000. Everyone remembers Primeau's 5th OT goal to tie the series. (A series which Philly won in six). But Andy Delmore was the OT hero in game 3 for Philly.

Ironically enough, Philly would blow a 3-1 series lead against NJ in the next round.

What if Ottawa, not Buffalo, scores in OT in game 3 of the 2006 series against Buffalo? It cuts their lead to 2-1. Maybe Ottawa pulls the comeback. But that Buffalo team was darn good.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Great examples. This happens even more often than I realized. And it seems every time the team that wins game 3 wins the series, except for staniowski's example.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
- 2006, the 7th seed Montreal Canadiens took a 2-0 series lead against the Carolina Hurricanes, and Game 3 went to Overtime. Carolina won Game 3, won the series in 6 games, and eventually won the Stanley Cup.

A significant factor in this series—which happened in Game 3 (!)—was Justin Williams injuring Saku Koivu in the eye. This is still well-remembered by Montreal fans. Koivu was on fire too and his injury shifted the momentum in Carolina's favor.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Funny you should bring this situation up. I was just thinking the same thing watching Blues-Canucks last night.

Really, is there a more pivotal moment in any playoff series than this situation? From the perspective of the trailing team, you either score the next goal and give yourself a very reasonable chance at winning the series, or you don't it's over. A favoured team that goes down 0-2 but wins Game 3 probably has around a 40% chance of winning the series (just a hunch, no in-depth look), but if they lose it's more like 4%.

To toss another one on the pile, Montreal-Boston 2008. Marc Savard's Game 3 OT winner got Boston back into the series, which they eventually lost in 7 games. The Bruins were the dog though, so not exactly what you requested.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
I've thought about that one before. The Sharks were such chokers that I believe Anaheim would beat them. They weren't the 2007 Ducks, but had a lot of pieces already in place. The Sharks were still 10 years removed from finally winning a Conference Finals.

The Sharks era of being chokers basically started with blowing that 2006 EDM series.

I think it's revisionist history to paint the Sharks before 06 as chokers because of what happened later.

Prior to 06, the Sharks were usually a darkhorse/underdog. The 04 West Finals vs CGY was the first time they were probably expected to win a series after round one, but that was a completely different Sharks team than the one we would soon remember as underachievers. I don't think the 04 team was anyone's trendy Cup pick

That 04 team was the last gasp for the Damphousse/Ricci era overachievers and weren't an overwhelming favorite to beat the Flames.

That Oiler series where they blew the 2-0 series lead really was the start of that Sharks being typecast as chokers that fell short when a trendy Cup Final pick. And if they don't blow that EDM series, the seed of doubt that was first planted may not have become what it became.

The Sharks as chokers era started with that EDM series.

If they had beaten EDM.... remember, the Ducks did not have Pronger and ANA was still riding Bryzgalov going into that series so they don't have that seed of chokers had they faced the Ducks.

Last edited:

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Knowing what we know now about how things turned out in San Jose (a decade-plus of outstanding regular season success followed my numerous playoff disappointments), I think about this huge save a lot.

That save really began the era of outstanding regular seasons and numerous playoff dissapointments, so it would have been interesting to see what happens if the Sharks go up 3-0 because they might have staved off the era of playoff failure.

Up until that 06 EDM series, SJ from 1994-2004 had been regular season overachievers that never had sky high playoff expectations so their defeats were not exactly monumental dissapointments. Even their 2002/2004 division winners were not exactly a trendy Cup pick.

Reactions: shadow1

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Great examples. This happens even more often than I realized. And it seems every time the team that wins game 3 wins the series, except for staniowski's example.
I imagine it's a case of the veteran team digging in with the knowledge that a 0-3 is basically impossible to overcome.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
The Sharks era of being chokers basically started with blowing that 2006 EDM series.

I think it's revisionist history to paint the Sharks before 06 as chokers because of what happened later.

Prior to 06, the Sharks were usually a darkhorse/underdog. The 04 West Finals vs CGY was the first time they were probably expected to win a series after round one, but that was a completely different Sharks team than the one we would soon remember as underachievers. I don't think the 04 team was anyone's trendy Cup pick

That 04 team was the last gasp for the Damphousse/Ricci era overachievers and weren't an overwhelming favorite to beat the Flames.

That Oiler series where they blew the 2-0 series lead really was the start of that Sharks being typecast as chokers that fell short when a trendy Cup Final pick. And if they don't blow that EDM series, the seed of doubt that was first planted may not have become what it became.

The Sharks as chokers era started with that EDM series.

If they had beaten EDM.... remember, the Ducks did not have Pronger and ANA was still riding Bryzgalov going into that series so they don't have that seed of chokers had they faced the Ducks.
We're looking back at everything in hindsight. In hindsight, they weren't labeled as chokers in 2006, but knowing what we do now, they choked that series and many others after that. So they were chokers, albeit not yet experienced at it. I believe Anaheim would beat them. They had a good group on paper already, minus Pronger and before Getzlaf/Perry became top level players. Bryzgalov is indeed a sieve in the playoffs. However, San Jose had Vesa Toskala, who's not exactly a world beater.

goeb

Oct 24, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Not sure if someone already mentioned it but Montreal was down 2-0 to Quebec in 1993, the closest they ever came to being eliminated. They went to OT in Game 3 and Damphousse scored on a bit of a lucky bounce. Habs went on to win 15 of the next 17 games in the playoffs, I believe.

Based on the standings though, Montreal was technically an underdog by a measly 2 points in the standings, but they did have more wins than Quebec that season. If the Nordiques get that OT goal in game 3, I can only wonder how the rest of the playoffs go. Maybe the Nords go to the Cup (Pens and Bruins both eliminated before Conference Finals) and ultimately beat the Kings and maybe they never move to Colorado, who knows.

I think the 2018 Cap and Hurricanes are probably the best recent examples. A lot of people wrote off the Caps in 2018 after Columbus won the first 2 games. Caps were notorious underachievers and Trotz wasn't exactly a a playoff maven either based on his track record. Jackets had a huge goaltending advantage on paper in Bobrovsky vs. Grauber and Blue Jackets had a good balance of offense and defense under Torts that year. Lars Eller's goal completely changed the momentum and Holtby regained his premier post-season play. Definitely a defining moment for the Caps. I think that win was even more impressive because Columbus pulled off one of the most impressive upsets in hockey history against TB the following year. granted, the roster had some tweaks, but the core guys were mostly the same.

Hurricanes in 2006 looked to be in even worse shape than the Caps were in 2018 once they fell behind 2-0. Their defense and goaltending were non-existent and Habs were very hot coming into the playoffs. One of the games was a blowout, I think it was game 1. From what I recall, Habs did control a good chunk of the chances in Game 3 but rookie Cam Ward stole the show and Canes got their confidence back after that one. I don't think anyone thought they would win the Cup that year. They had a massive turnaround from the prior season and it is pretty rare to go from no playoffs to the cup (granted there was the cancelled 2004-05 season in between, but still). That team might still be the biggest one-hit wonder in NHL history and if the Habs won that game 3, I don't think the Canes have a Championship to their name.

Also need to touch on that someone mentioned the Oilers in 2006. Holy cow, just like the Canes, they were nearly down and out but a single goal changed everything. If Sharks get that OT winner, I strongly believe they would have won the Cup that year. I thought the stars aligned for them, even more so than in 2016. Feels like they have been cursed ever since.

goeb

Oct 24, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
We're looking back at everything in hindsight. In hindsight, they weren't labeled as chokers in 2006, but knowing what we do now, they choked that series and many others after that. So they were chokers, albeit not yet experienced at it. I believe Anaheim would beat them. They had a good group on paper already, minus Pronger and before Getzlaf/Perry became top level players. Bryzgalov is indeed a sieve in the playoffs. However, San Jose had Vesa Toskala, who's not exactly a world beater.

I kind of agree that they choked it away, but by the same token you can argue against it. Roloson was running really hot and they already took out the President Trophy winning Wings (who you could argue choked pretty badly as well) and got to within a win of the Cup. Oilers just got really hot that playoffs and they have never even come close since. They made MacTavish look like a formidable coach during that playoffs but it all turned out to be a mirage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad