News: Update: Jim Rutherford is about to cook! 1st + Prospect in play (Post #177)

Bowski

That's not how we do things in Pittsburgh
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
Btw Rutherford is no longer the gm. It’s Alvin that makes trades.
:sarcasm: Only room for one rooster in the henhouse.

psychology-magician-t-shirt.jpg

*John Tortorella accredited

• Haha
Reactions: lawrence

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Sure, but what’s the asking price?

Well considering the Canucks two only real value pieces are apparently off limits, I don't think it's a realistic scenario.

The current 32nd overall pick and a guys like Podkolzin aren't going to tip the scales in a Lindholm+Tanev deal..

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Well considering the Canucks two only real value pieces are apparently off limits, I don't think it's a realistic scenario.

The current 32nd overall pick and a guys like Podkolzin aren't going to tip the scales in a Lindholm+Tanev deal..
Vancouver has some very good prospects that aren't Lekk/Willander. Blue chip guys don't get moved for rentals, even though fans of seller demand them every trade deadline.

Horvat returned a 1st, Raty and Beauvillier while scoring about 3x the goals Lindholm has this year. Expecting a top 30 prospect is going to leave you dissapointed.

Time will tell though!

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Not giving up Willander or Lekk.

1st, Brzustewicz, Podkolzin, and Myers.
Willander no Lekkerimakki for an extended Lindholm or Guentzel all day.

Lekkerimakki may very well end up being a 40 goal scorer 3-4 years from now, while a guy like Jake or Lindholm can do that now with our core entering its peak.
This is how teams take the next step by using assets to plug immediate holes with players we hope that prospect might become.

Podkolzin and Raty are much closer and can play bottom six roles for league minimum allowing us to re-sign vets. Willander plays a premium position and is way ahead of schedule and is now getting all the top tough minutes. For context he's a +13 tops on his team with 19 points I think? His partner Hutson older by a year and much more experienced at D has 28 points yet has the worst plus minus on the team.
Don't get me wrong I'm not moving him for a rental but for either of those guys long-term part of this core could be one of the final pieces.

Reactions: Kreator

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Soucy gone 5 weeks, damn

Looks like we’re looking for a defenceman also now
With a hand who knows maybe longer maybe we pull a Vegas?

Add Tanev to Lindholm both double retention comes in at under 3 million. As long as we can extend Lindholm I move Lekkeremaki a 1st and a 2nd all day long.
Lekkeremaki is gonna be a project, I have no doubt he becomes really good but not in the next couple of years. Lindholm extended is like Hronek level impact. Willander is 100% untouchable, guys gonna step right in next march, he's already the guy in Boston top pair shutdown go to guy and on another level after the wjc.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Willander no Lekkerimakki for an extended Lindholm or Guentzel all day.

Lekkerimakki may very well end up being a 40 goal scorer 3-4 years from now, while a guy like Jake or Lindholm can do that now with our core entering its peak.
This is how teams take the next step by using assets to plug immediate holes with players we hope that prospect might become.

Podkolzin and Raty are much closer and can play bottom six roles for league minimum allowing us to re-sign vets. Willander plays a premium position and is way ahead of schedule and is now getting all the top tough minutes. For context he's a +13 tops on his team with 19 points I think? His partner Hutson older by a year and much more experienced at D has 28 points yet has the worst plus minus on the team.
Don't get me wrong I'm not moving him for a rental but for either of those guys long-term part of this core could be one of the final pieces.
The issue is that your premise is based on some assumptions that aren’t necessarily true such as:

-that Pettersson will want to sign long-term; and
-that we could have the cap space to re-sign the new acquisition (and not at the expense of not re-signing Pettersson, Hronek, Demko, Hughes, and Boeser).

Further, Lekk could be NHL ready as soon as next season and Willander the year after that. That’s not too far off, and it cannot be overstated how valuable ELCs are for talented prospects.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Vancouver has some very good prospects that aren't Lekk/Willander. Blue chip guys don't get moved for rentals, even though fans of seller demand them every trade deadline.

Horvat returned a 1st, Raty and Beauvillier while scoring about 3x the goals Lindholm has this year. Expecting a top 30 prospect is going to leave you dissapointed.

Time will tell though!

I'd disagree that they have "very good" prospects outside of those two.

Additionally - the pick traded for Horvat was 12th overall at the time of deal, and in a much better draft class. It ended up being ASP whom is very comparable in value to Wallinder and Lekk. Even further to that - the poster I responded to wanted Tanev in the deal as well whom will have a large market himself at the deadline.

I understand if the Canucks want to hold on to those two prospects, but if that's the case, then the dream of adding both Lindholm and Tanev is dead on arrival.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Hmmn 4 or 5 top6s

Guentzel Lindholm Tarasenko
and.........Eberle Toffoli Zucker Pacioretty DuClair Monahan maybe?

Dont see Eberle or Toffoli fitting what Tocchet would want as a top6.
DuClair i have my doubts too as he's known to freelance without structure and could bring some defensive issues.

Monahan is a weird addition as i would like to bet Pettersson will be back at C soon and doesn't unseat Bluegers role and would be an unnecessary price for depth without solving a top6W spot

Pacioretty is a big unknown and probably unreliable.

Guentzel wont be available likely

Tarasenko Zucker Lindholm look the most logical. All rentals unless they move Kuzmenko or Mikhayev the other way. Allows Pettersson back to C with another player who can score for Miller/Boeser. I doubt highly anyone would take the Mikhayev contract given his ACL and term if they are looking at someone with term. Kuzmenko could be a smart bounce back investment for someone as they could get value now and next year possibly.

Team needs to focus on gettiing the D and top9/10 forwards sorted out for next year also.

Zadorov Cole Myers all UFA on defense. Blueger Joshua Lafferty up front.

OEL buyout eats a big chunk of the cap increase. Pettersson Hronek are getting 6-7 million in raises.

Where's the money coming from? I get making some additions but i wouldn't move anything that can help save the team money in it's top10 forwards and top6 D that's on the horizon.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

I doubt you’ll get a prospect like Lekk or Willander for those two. Calgary is probably best off trying to get the highest possible pick for Lindholm like the Canucks did by finding a team that wants to re-sign him.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006

Additionally - the pick traded for Horvat was 12th overall at the time of deal, and in a much better draft class. It ended up being ASP whom is very comparable in value to Wallinder and Lekk. Even further to that - the poster I responded to wanted Tanev in the deal as well whom will have a large market himself at the deadline.

I understand if the Canucks want to hold on to those two prospects, but if that's the case, then the dream of adding both Lindholm and Tanev is dead on arrival.
According to who? Random flames fan #4 on HFBoards?

I haven't seen Conroy say anything like that

kvladimir

Dec 1, 2010
Very tempting for VAN to go all-in, despite the risks...

I feel like Tanev is too much $ for too little reward to target, even if Myers is going back (and being flipped by CGY for futures).

I'd say a reasonable deal would be Lindholm (no retention) for '24 1st, '25 2nd, (Raty or Podkolzin), Brustewicz, and Myers (to be flipped)

CGY fans probably hate it, but that's more realistic IMHO, considering Lindholm's drop in play this season, and being a rental. I'm more curious to hear from WPG, BOS and COL fans if any of those teams would realistically beat that offer.

If Lindholm was dealt to VAN with an extension at max $8M/per, then I think the deal should become something like '24 1st, Lekkerimaki, Raty or Podkolzin, Myers. VAN should be able to find a way to make that work long term...

Another possibility that I think would be intriguing for VAN would be a deal around Hayton, something like this:

Hayton + Zucker for '24 1st, Kuzmenko, Raty or Podkolzin, and Suter

or

Hayton (extended), Zucker, and Dumba for '24 1st, '25 2nd, Podkolzin, Kuzmenko, Myers, Brustewicz

The 2nd one is almost certainly too large to be realistic, but Hayton seems like a very desirable piece for the 2C slot who should not break the bank on his next contract, and should be healthy for this year's playoffs. Not sure if ARZ fans would like either deal, but there you go? :help:

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Very tempting for VAN to go all-in, despite the risks...

I feel like Tanev is too much $ for too little reward to target, even if Myers is going back (and being flipped by CGY for futures).

I'd say a reasonable deal would be Lindholm (no retention) for '24 1st, '25 2nd, (Raty or Podkolzin), Brustewicz, and Myers (to be flipped)

CGY fans probably hate it, but that's more realistic IMHO, considering Lindholm's drop in play this season, and being a rental. I'm more curious to hear from WPG, BOS and COL fans if any of those teams would realistically beat that offer.

If Lindholm was dealt to VAN with an extension at max $8M/per, then I think the deal should become something like '24 1st, Lekkerimaki, Raty or Podkolzin, Myers. VAN should be able to find a way to make that work long term...

Another possibility that I think would be intriguing for VAN would be a deal around Hayton, something like this:

Hayton + Zucker for '24 1st, Kuzmenko, Raty or Podkolzin, and Suter

or

Hayton (extended), Zucker, and Dumba for '24 1st, '25 2nd, Podkolzin, Kuzmenko, Myers, Brustewicz

The 2nd one is almost certainly too large to be realistic, but Hayton seems like a very desirable piece for the 2C slot who should not break the bank on his next contract, and should be healthy for this year's playoffs. Not sure if ARZ fans would like either deal, but there you go? :help:
honestly thats way too much. Calgary isn't getting 4 futures + Myers who could be flipped for another pick and is very valuable to the Canucks currently.

Your proposal might be too much with Tanev included in my mind. Also don't think there is much more value in having the player signed long term or not.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Maybe not "very good" but good enough to play at the deadline. I don't how the team ranks its guys but in no particular order after Willander and Lekk Vancouver has: Podkolzin, Raty, Pettersson, Brzustewicz, and maybe one or two more, plus their own draft picks, that are notable enough to be deadline trade chips.

Playoff teams don't go for deadline rentals trading from their top of the pile, the 0-2 prospects they have that could make an impact on ELC's, they trade from the next group down which is more numerous. Like for Vancouver when new management was shopping Miller 2 years ago, even though he had 1 year left at great value, the offer we know from the Rangers that was passed on was Nils Lundqvist, Chytil, and a 1st. They had much better prospects, like Lafreniere, Kakko, and more in the range of Wallinder/Lekk was Braden Schneider who they weren't going to move.

And the Horvat thing isn't really a good example, I don't know how much they got to talk to him but they traded then immediately signed him to an 8 year deal. It's a different equation when you're trading for a guy to extend, rather than as just a rental. And while the pick may have been sitting at #12 at there's always points in the season where just a couple points can move you up or down a bunch of draft positions, that specific point in time was probably the low mark for them, and they correctly calculated that with Horvat they could move up into the playoffs.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Low key option I haven't seen on the last few pages would be Rico and Lybushkin from Anaheim. Rico is on pace for 25 goals and 51 pts playing for the offense challenged Ducks. Plays center and wing so he's versatile. Not the showy name most fans want but he checks a lot of boxes.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
am i the only one that thinks, Lindhohm is holding out to join his brother in Boston?

former selke runner up Lindholm is like the perfect replacement for recently retired Patrix Bergeron who was king of Selkes. Lindholm is a solid 2 way player like Bergeron.

I don't think Vancouver can trade for him due to cap and we need to dump a high-priced player ourselves.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013

Raty is only 20 and having a good development year. Very much still a top six C prospect.
Raty Kuzmenko and two first round picks?
You might have to retain like 1.5 or 2 on one of those guys. Also, i could very easily see Kuzmenko bouncing back and having a great year in a different system. Not just saying that

i wonder if that would be enough? Cmooon lets bring the cup back to Canada!

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
am i the only one that thinks, Lindhohm is holding out to join his brother in Boston?

former selke runner up Lindholm is like the perfect replacement for recently retired Patrix Bergeron who was king of Selkes. Lindholm is a solid 2 way player like Bergeron.

I don't think Vancouver can trade for him due to cap and we need to dump a high-priced player ourselves.
Probably, since they are not related.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad