Valeri Nichushkin placed in NHLPA assistance program stage 3 - suspended without pay for min. 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
He was also gone two months at the start of 2024.

There is a pattern here that is quite easy to connect the dots. He’s trying his best to follow the nhl guidelines so his contract won’t be voided. But the help isn’t helping him yet. Brant myhers book was quite the read on similar situation and is proof one can change their life around
img-1911429-f.jpg
img-1911429-f.jpg

Reactions: joestevens29

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
Not to be insensitive but it was the worst possible timing. Why couldn't this have happened a month from now. May have been another event

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
That's probably the cup lost for the Avs, wow.
The winner of Vegas/dallas was my pick for the SC, Avs are really missing Bryam.

That being said I understand why they made the trade and Casey has been okay, Landeskog is the guy they are really missing.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
The winner of Vegas/dallas was my pick for the SC, Avs are really missing Bryam.

That being said I understand why they made the trade and Casey has been okay, Landeskog is the guy they are really missing.
I have Avs vs Edm in next round. Avs to win it all. I underestimated Dallas. They are REALLY good

I agree on Landy being sorely missed. Middlestadt was much better in Buffalo. Seems kinda tentative out there a lot. Almost like he doesn't know where he fits in

Reactions: wetcoast

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
We are responsible for the choices we make, regardless of whether we are under the influence (as an addicted person or just a one night warrior) or not. And FULLY accountable for the ramifications of same. Unquestionably.

However you clearly don’t understand alcoholism or addiction. You seem to think addiction is a choice. I suggest some humility. Next time you have a beer, have a little gratitude and thank whatever it is that allows you to have just one or none at all.

Not sure what your background i. As someone who has 25 years of sobriety I can speak from some experience.

Trying to show some empathy for the affliction (NOT to impacts or ramifications of same) would be the kind thing to do.
Well said! Awesome work on 25!

Reactions: Number8

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
If someone isn’t physically addicted, if the body isn’t dependent on a substance, that isn’t really an addiction. That’s more of a compulsion.

I know technically there is the belief that psychological addiction is the same thing as physical addiction, but it isn’t at all.

Poor impulse control, trauma, mental health, and a great many other things can lead someone towards addiction

People have murderous compulsions, too. They become addicted to it. There are very few people who can’t recognize that murdering someone is a choice
Your invite to Thanksgiving at the in-laws is forthcoming. Somewhere between "pass the cranberry sauce" and "anyone ready for pie", you're gonna be screeching a different tune about murder and choice

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Number8

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
We are responsible for the choices we make, regardless of whether we are under the influence (as an addicted person or just a one night warrior) or not. And FULLY accountable for the ramifications of same. Unquestionably.

However you clearly don’t understand alcoholism or addiction. You seem to think addiction is a choice. I suggest some humility. Next time you have a beer, have a little gratitude and thank whatever it is that allows you to have just one or none at all.

Not sure what your background i. As someone who has 25 years of sobriety I can speak from some experience.

Trying to show some empathy for the affliction (NOT to impacts or ramifications of same) would be the kind thing to do.
Most people only pretend to care about mental health. Unfortunately public perception hasn't really changed on that front.

Nogatco Rd

noble man who is loved by many animal
Apr 3, 2021
Why is the conclusion you draw from your lack of information that the NHL is making things up?
Nowhere in my post did I draw the conclusion that the NHL was ”making things up”

There is a massive distinction between someone “making things up” and someone “making things up as they go along”: the former is an allegation of fabrication or deception, the latter implies an improvisational or ad hoc approach.

Reactions: I am toxic

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but it needs to be recognized that the NHL Player Assistance Program is voluntary. That means Nichushkin didn't need to subject himself to the random drug testing, and could've looked for help via non-NHL affiliated resources.

Without knowing more about the player off the ice, to me that says he is trying to get help. Clearly, he desperately needs it as he's on a dark road.
I would have to imagine that refusing to get help (either via the NHLPA program or outside) would mean that the club has a clear reason to terminate a contract. So yes, it's "voluntary". Either go get help, or continue your habit outside our payroll.

You fellas remember how Galchenyuk entered the program after his misconduct? Yeah, that was most likely advised by his agent, to have any hope for a grievance by the NHLPA. Obviously, then all the details came out and his hopes for an NHL future were dead. And he signed in the KHL like 40 days later after joining the program. I've got to wonder if he even finished it, or bolted mid way to Russia.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
GTFOOH with that 'disease' BS. Cancer is a disease, multiple sclerosis is a disease.......no one chooses to get those, you can choose weather or not to consume alcohol or inject/snort/smoke other potentially addicting substances. Calling addiction a disease is a massive insult to all the people who have died a miserable death from cancer (my Mother included, and most like someone close to you as well) or one of the many others that haven't been cured yet.
Addiction IS a disease

it's also the only disease where you get happy and can talk to people easier .
Yes sir. Then you don't care when the girl you never would talk to sober, blows you off!

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
Addiction IS a disease
you do realize that this dogmatic statement isn't held by all professionals, right? a common, professional take, is that the entrance into the substance use is choice, usually aggravated by outside or inside stimuli, and that over time a brain disorder develops.

the concept of addiction being gene centered like heart disease was once widely held, but is has faded and never been proven.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad