Valeri Nichushkin placed in NHLPA assistance program stage 3 - suspended without pay for min. 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul Assumption

Jul 18, 2022
It sucks that he has a problem, but he’s derailed two playoff runs now. Hes a liability and needs to go. Colorado org and players can never trust him again now that it’s happened twice.

They will probably scramble their lawyers and look for a way to rip up the contract with cause.

I’m thinking he’s off to Russia either way
I think every team in the league would be happy to sign him 2x2 or something. the risk is worth it

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
This must be a drug that means the team can’t terminate the contract in the offseason

Don’t know the fine print rule in players assistance

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
A little dramatic here

While he might notve been caught in the act, he’s obviously had to possess whatever substance he tested for, which is illegal.

And the contracts have morality clauses they will look to hammer down on.

It’s certainly a real possibility in my view
What if he tested positive for alcohol? He might be done with the Avs and they might not face much if any cap problems but if he gets and stays sober he's definitely getting most of his money.

It's hard to say what happens. It's pretty unprecedented.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
the nhl go out of their way to not catch anyone for abusing drugs (recreational and performance enhancing) because they wouldn't have a league if they did any kind of real testing. it seems incredibly punitive that the only players getting suspended are those that are seeking treatment (or i guess those forced to accept treatment)

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
Anyone know if Nuke (or others) would be monitored by the league during his current suspension? Like monitored for drugs and related? I know the initial info is he is placed in the player assistance program, something like that. But what does that mean for his (and other's) next 6 months?

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
He's done nothing illegal and firing a guy for having a disease is crazy illegal. Like not cba illegal like us court system illegal.

They could make this go away if Nichuskin wants it to go away but he's got thirty six million reasons not too.
Seems highly likely that he did something illegal if he’s been suspended for a failed drug test…

BerthMania

Jun 3, 2022
Montréal
HUGE liability issues. Drug users are high risk for work accidents and costlier insurance.

I've had to pass drug tests for my last 3 or 4 jobs.

There are other reason you can Google.
Fair answer, I'm a teacher working in the Montreal area and most of my coworkers and I smoke joints from time to time and it's openly discussed and nobody cares lol

LaCarriere

Anyone know if Nuke (or others) would be monitored by the league during his current suspension? Like monitored for drugs and related? I know the initial info is he is placed in the player assistance program, something like that. But what does that mean for his (and other's) next 6 months?
I don't know that anyone really knows, other than the nhlpa/player/team.

Rarely do you hear any details about why a player is in the program unless they offer up an explanation themselves, because it's generally treated with confidentiallity. Players go into the program for personal issues (addiction, depression, etc) and not PEDs.

I'm sure things like youre asking about are determined on a case by case basis, between the player, league, nhlpa, team, treatment providers, etc. There's not really one defined path you can take when dealing with this sort of thing. I'm guessing PED testing could continue as normal. As for other substances/drugs... who knows.

Reactions: DaveG and drhiii

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
What are they going to do with him and that albatross of a contract? If he didn't have all these personal issues he's worth every penny, but I don't know how the avs get rid of him.

Salary retention is a poor option, even if another team is willing to take a stab at him and he's willing to waive his nmc.

Buyout... I guess, but it's not like the avs are swimming in cash to buy out his remaining 37M or whatever it is, but I'd hate to have even his buyout on the books. Tough situation to swallow for both the front office and avs fans.

Nichushskin just got rid of that problem contract with his behavior. Only the Avs will decide whether he's back or not.

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
Seems even more likely he did something illegal last playoffs but the Avs helped make that go away.
I don’t disagree with that…

But doesn’t that only make it more likely the Avs could terminate his contract without incurring legal problems of their own?

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
I don't know that anyone really knows, other than the nhlpa/player/team.

Rarely do you hear any details about why a player is in the program unless they offer up an explanation themselves, because it's generally treated with confidentiallity. Players go into the program for personal issues (addiction, depression, etc) and not PEDs.

I'm sure things like youre asking about are determined on a case by case basis, between the player, league, nhlpa, team, treatment providers, etc. There's not really one defined path you can take when dealing with this sort of thing. I'm guessing PED testing could continue as normal. As for other substances/drugs... who knows.
Yeah, pretty much figured what you said.

Bummer is Nuke has had this continuing set of problems. The Avs org is very guilty of knowing but not facing it, really facing it. End game is it is too bad... because several star players will waste away years of their careers. Is why I am asking the question for the Avs org is kidding themselves, again, if they think Nuke will rehab successfully enough to be trusted. The Avs have been operating without a real captain/leader, for two years... so the chances Nuke being successful are about as close to nil as it gets.

Anywayz, tx for responding. Essentially what I figured.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I don’t disagree with that…

But doesn’t that only make it more likely the Avs could terminate his contract without incurring legal problems of their own?
Im not a lawyer but I am a union steward and it's pretty tough to "fire" somebody in treatment until they've gone through every step of the assistance program. He's on strike three but the NHL seems to be giving four with what I read.

Reactions: DaveG

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Yeah, pretty much figured what you said.

Bummer is Nuke has had this continuing set of problems. The Avs org is very guilty of knowing but not facing it, really facing it. End game is it is too bad... because several star players will waste away years of their careers. Is why I am asking the question for the Avs org is kidding themselves, again, if they think Nuke will rehab successfully enough to be trusted. The Avs have been operating without a real captain/leader, for two years... so the chances Nuke being successful are about as close to nil as it gets.

Anywayz, tx for responding. Essentially what I figured.
The Avs can't make Nichuskin stay sober. That's entirely up to him.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
I think he lacks character. It seems odd to me that he's getting sympathy when it's not clear if he's actually an addict or a recreational user.

If an average guy was caught in a hotel at 345 am with a woman who may have been drugged and claimed to be a victim of international sex trafficking they'd be in jail. They wouldn't be whisked away by team security and have a private dr look after her. He wouldn't have well wishers supporting him and talking about the evils of addiction.

LaCarriere

Nichushskin just got rid of that problem contract with his behavior. Only the Avs will decide whether he's back or not.
Not really. He applies for reinstatement after a minimum of 6 months. If he completes the program and what's required of him by the nhlpa/league as outlined in the CBA it's not like the avs can just tear up the contract because he had issues in the past.

The avs don't have any say if he gets reinstated or not. That's between the nhlpa and nhl and the people providing his treatment.

Buying him out would cost the Avs around 1.7M in cap space for the next 12 years. I'm sure they can afford it, but do they want that cap space tied up, or do they just hope he gets his shit together?

Trading him would also involve sending assets along with him or eating a lot in salary retention, or possibly both. If they are ready to move on from him a buyout is probably the least costly option, though you'd get nothing at all in return. It's really sort of an unprecedented situation all around for someone with his salary and ability, really have no idea what the Avs will do.

Im not a lawyer but I am a union steward and it's pretty tough to "fire" somebody in treatment until they've gone through every step of the assistance program. He's on strike three but the NHL seems to be giving four with what I read.
If he violates his stage 3 conditions it's a 1 year suspension with no guarantee of reinstatement.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
This sucks for the Avs. Clearly a guy that is struggling with addiction. Hopefully he can get things on track so this is a one time occurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad