Value of: Value 5th overall pick??

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Interesting how many teams with high picks are likely interested in trading them for immediate NHL talent. The teams that would want to add high picks also don't have much to give up. I think the market will be soft, the best bet would be the pick for a prospect on the doorstep that you like.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
the top four will probably be

Tier 1
Celebrini

Tier 2
Lindstrom
Demidov
Levshunov

Tier 3
??????

I feel that the Habs pick is the begining of the 3rd tier. Tier 2 has some faults but they are more easily corrected while tier 3 has players that have things that are a bit harder to fix or are more projects compared to the last tier.

After the 4th pick you can argue that 8 different players should be picked 5th. I think a lot of teams in the lottery feel like "no mater what happens they will get a good player".

This is the reason I think you're not getting lots of fans of other teams biting in this thread, A least the Lottery ones.
I agree with this assessment. I think if the Habs drop two spots, they wouldn't heart broken at all. Habs will be drafting a forward through hell or high water. I can see them dropping to 7th and drafting Iginla/Catton/Eiserman.

At 5, i don't think that changes.

Reactions: Scintillating10

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
It could definitely roll differently and yeah the lottery could change things.

Chicago wants someone to play on Bedards wing, That's Demidov and maybe Lindstrom

Ducks NEED a Dman

Jackets are a bit more of a wild card though they do have a lot of good D prospects. I just find it hard to see them not take a big N tall Power Center Lindstrom or the Silky smooth Demidov.

Who do you think one of those teams might pick instead?
The lottery has obviously the largest impact on all of this, so I guess we'll know more after Tuesday night.

IMO Chicago and/ or the Jackets could go with Dman, so that would change things up a bit if they decide to go that route, and one of Demidov or Lindstrom maybe available at 5. If a team like Ottawa moves up (2-5) they would likely take an RHD, so again things can change pretty quickly.

My small add would definitely not be Popcorn. I'd like to see what Laf could do without the Breadman and Trochek before giving up Guhle and Reinbacher.
There is only one world where the Habs give up both Guhle and Reinbacher for Laf, and it's Berns's world. Fortunately, it's pretty far from reality.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
reasonable starting pt to discuss
courage of yr honesty under circumstances earns kudos
I am thinking LaF + for Guhle + Reinbacher +

remember LaF viewed as 'best 1OA not a generational player since MacKinnon'
and as such
if on the market, others would also bid
Just stop

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Guhle in no way is Sergachev. He hasn't yet learned to protect himself when in puck battles along the boards.

I mean even Slaf has developed better spatial awareness and self protection skills. Guhle's injuries all come from being rocked. He is a hit or two away from LTIR if he doesn't develop that skill.

Also, I don't see much offensive upside to be more than a 20-30 point d-man. He certainly doesn't have the chops to even man a 2nd PP unit. The coaching staff prefers to go with the Sheriff instead.
You want to trade a big D with top pairing potential for a winger. That's what it boils down to. It's a ridiculously bad idea

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
It could definitely roll differently and yeah the lottery could change things.

Chicago wants someone to play on Bedards wing, That's Demidov and maybe Lindstrom

Ducks NEED a Dman

Jackets are a bit more of a wild card though they do have a lot of good D prospects. I just find it hard to see them not take a big N tall Power Center Lindstrom or the Silky smooth Demidov.

Who do you think one of those teams might pick instead?
Blackhawks may take a defense man too. Sharks take Celebrini, wonder if Hawks take Dickinson?

If they do would Anaheim trade that pick to Montreal?

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Blackhawks may take a defense man too. Sharks take Celebrini, wonder if Hawks take Dickinson?

If you had a "generational center" talent wouldn't you want to get him a winger he could play for YEARS to come?

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone

If the BPA when the Ducks pick is a RHD or scoring winger, I think they're gonna use the pick for sure. Otherwise they'd probably be open to something, but in a draft where 2-12 are so close can you really expect much return for trading down, or be willing to give up anything significant to move up a few spots?

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
If the BPA when the Ducks pick is a RHD or scoring winger, I think they're gonna use the pick for sure. Otherwise they'd probably be open to something, but in a draft where 2-12 are so close can you really expect much return for trading down, or be willing to give up anything significant to move up a few spots?
Makes sense. Could be scenario where Celebrini, Demidov, Lindstrom go 1-2-3 then.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
#5 to Florida for Lundell & Knight

Habs get a young 2-way C, and a young goaltender with all-star potential

Florida add some cap space, and a high-upside prospect with the #5 pick
Although those are two decent players, I think that 5th OV turns out to be way better because Florida drafts whoever in that spot.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
If Celebrini, Demidov and Lindstrom are gone before Habs pick, I would definitely try to trade down with Ott at 7OA or Calgary at 9OA to add another late 1st.

Then package our 2 late 1sts + Col 2nd to get a mid 1st. I would target SJ with the 14OA. since they already have a top 3 pick, they might be interested in quantity after that.

A tandem of Catton/Iginla/Helenius + Sennecke would be something.

Last edited:

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
If Celebrini, Demidov and Lindstrom are gone before Habs pick, I would definitely try to trade down with Ott at 7OA or Calgary at 9OA to add another late 1st.

The same reason why you'd feel comfortable trading down a few spots (not a huge dropoff in talent level) is why teams aren't likely to give up much to move up a few spots either.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
The same reason why you'd feel comfortable trading down a few spots (not a huge dropoff in talent level) is why teams aren't likely to give up much to move up a few spots either.
You are right. There is to be a perfect fit with the other team. That’s why it’s always never happening.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
reasonable starting pt to discuss
courage of yr honesty under circumstances earns kudos
I am thinking LaF + for Guhle + Reinbacher +

remember LaF viewed as 'best 1OA not a generational player since MacKinnon'
and as such
if on the market, others would also bid
lol "courage of your honesty"? The implication being what.. that those of us who dont suscribe to your brand of delusion are somehow afraid to express our honest opinion? Thou underestimateth the convictions of us keyboard cronies, m'lord.

The guy offered up Guhle and a small add for Laf - I disagree with him, but adding a reinbacher and that add to Guhle is far from what he is telling you.

also... "remember laf is viewed as best 1OA not a generational talent since mackinnon" - at the very least, that is open to discussion. At most, it is just wrong. Id definitely put Mackinnon, McDavid, Bedard and maybe Matthews as generational. That leaves you with Hischier, Dahlin, Hughes, Power, Slafkovsky, 3-4 of these i'd take over Laf.

Finally, a player that is "1.5 years from teh nhl" does not make him less valuable than an established player. BTW, D has more value than W

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I would target SJ with the 14OA. since they already have a top 3 pick

A tandem of Catton/Iginla/Helenius + Sennecke would be something.
Or SJ could just do that themselves and have an ever better tandem of Celebrini/Demidov/Levshunov and Sennecke/whoever.

Sharks need the top quality prospects (like most teams)

Reactions: Xirik

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
seriously? a 29 year old goalie? You don't want to know the add.
Apparently Hughes refused Askarov and your 15th for habs 5th last year.
habs don't need Saros, they need high-end, young forwards.
If we signed Saros then Askarov is probably avaliable. Honestly no idea of where Montreal is at or needs. Honest question on Saros.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
I though this was about the 5th OV ??? where are you guys going ?? come back !!!!

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
If we signed Saros then Askarov is probably avaliable. Honestly no idea of where Montreal is at or needs. Honest question on Saros.
Montreal isn't going to trade their 5th for either one of your goalies.
They have two young, NHL goalies signed and playing, and a couple of potential good ones in fowler and Dobes.
Nashville doesn't have a star forward, that is young enough to fit into the timeline of what Montreal is doing for them to even consider trading their 5th OA.
There's no deal here.
Montreal wants young talent up front. That's it.
They'll keep the pick and then package many of their other picks + a young dman for an NHL playing young forward

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad