OT: Vancouver Titans | Overwatch ESports League

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
How are you supposed to be a main tank when you are most effective in the enemy backline

The Tank role on a team is filled by the player that is playing the Main Tank or Offtank in the composition. Typically Main Tank heroes are thought to be Reinhardt, Winston and Orisa. In certain cases, Wrecking Ball is also played as a Main Tank, such as in dive compositions. These characters typically have large health pools to soak up damage, and a shield that they place or hold that blocks damage and creates space for the rest of the team.

Team Roles

The Offtank role on a team is usually filled by players that play tank characters that are not specified as Main Tanks, such as Zarya, Dva, Roadhog, and Sigma. These characters are typically paired with Main Tanks, and generally do more damage and support the Main Tank with their abilities. They are also useful for peeling for their team, or helping a teammate who is under pressure, with their abilities

Reactions: Indiana

Indiana

Mar 17, 2008
Canada
How are you supposed to be a main tank when you are most effective in the enemy backline
I agree, Winston is supremely strong vs enemy backline.

For some reason I play in Rein-Winston comps a lot. And let me tell ya, that comp is underrated.

Rein allows the front to hold longer & gives your team a solid base to work from.

While Winston (with low dmg) provides backline pressure in a way that Zarya (with high charge) never can.

If the Winston knows how to time his engage, it's amazing how much more you can accomplish with this comp compared to conventional Rein-Zaryas.

You get highground pressure as well (Zarya's biggest weakness). With Winston basically playing off-tank.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Winstons bubble and mobility are far more indicative of an off tank, his bubble is temporary (though has been buffed) and his mobility makes him most effective at diving and peeling to support the main tank.

i think its just weak how there are only two maintanks in the game (Rein/Orissa) and Sigma should be one too, they should have added more instead of 5dps to 1 support 1 tank

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
You’re conflating what defines a main tank with a style of play. Dive is a unique strategy core to OW and Winston/Wrecking ball create disruption and space in a way no off tank can.

Indiana

Mar 17, 2008
Canada
Main tank:
- good at creating space with barriers, but does not have the damage to hold space

Off-tank:

- good at holding space with damage, but does not have space-making barriers

Winston can be played like an off-tank, but he's definitely a main tank.

He simply does not have the damage to hold space like a true off-tank.

So it's real important for an off-tanking Winston to relieve pressure on his Rein by either cutting off the enemy's backline from its frontline; outright killing enemy backline; or by drawing attention & peel from enemy frontline, before his Rein gets overrun.

But even though Winston works well as an off-tank, he's not really good at holding the space he opens up for his team.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Main tank:
- good at creating space with barriers, but does not have the damage to hold space

Off-tank:

- good at holding space with damage, but does not have space-making barriers

Winston can be played like an off-tank, but he's definitely a main tank.

He simply does not have the damage to hold space like a true off-tank.

So it's real important for an off-tanking Winston to relieve pressure on his Rein by either cutting off the enemy's backline from its frontline; outright killing enemy backline; or by drawing attention & peel from enemy frontline, before his Rein gets overrun.

But even though Winston works well as an off-tank, he's not really good at holding the space he opens up for his team.
(Pip is bullying me because I was memeing playing ow with him for the first time in nearly 2 years)

I just want to see Miro play Winston again

Reactions: Pip and Indiana

Indiana

Mar 17, 2008
Canada
I just want to see Miro play Winston again
Man same here lol. I learned so many map tricks just watching Miro's old clips.

(anubis attack: super jump to right-statue's snout, do a very tricky normal jump to choke-ledge, super jump straight to point, bubble, draw attention away from your team, when low, jump up to left or right mega, then drop back to point, rinse & repeat until enemy is dead)

On Anubis pointA, Winston basically can't die while drawing tons of aggro. And all I did was copy Miro's exact moves. lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Hansen and Pip

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Man same here lol. I learned so many map tricks just watching Miro's old clips.

(anubis attack: super jump to right-statue's snout, do a very tricky normal jump to choke-ledge, super jump straight to point, bubble, draw attention away from your team, when low, jump up to left or right mega, then drop back to point, rinse & repeat until enemy is dead)

On Anubis pointA, Winston basically can't die while drawing tons of aggro. And all I did was copy Miro's exact moves. lol
Its like Lucio and DSPStanky for me, watching him got me interested in the hero and I just studied his style and tried to do what he would do

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Yeah that makes a lot of sense. I imagine they are trying to get Soon and Benbest back at near league minimum since they didn’t pick up their options but are still negotiating.

NYXL blowing up.

very interested to see what the Titans do. I imagine it will be unknown players from NA/EU contenders for the most part and I doubt Shockwave re-signs unfortunately

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
So what we would be looking like:

Shredlock
FRD
Dalton
Agilities
Roolf
Fire

While I don’t necessarily dislike any of these players this will probably be the worst team in the league, or at least at the bottom with Boston and Paris but tbh I don’t know what I was expecting

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad