GDT: WCQF GM04 | Vancouver Canucks @ Nashville Predators | Sun. Apr 28th | 2:00PM PST | SNP/CBC | Don’t Panic

Status
Not open for further replies.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It would help if he had at least some puck skills and a smidgen of hockey iq.

If he had those hands and goal-scoring finesse...he'd be a $6.75M player instead. :dunno: He is what he is. And he's here because we badly needed someone with actual speed and decent size in the lineup. Paid the premium for it.

Reactions: Nomobo

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
I genuinely do not think Nashville could have continued blocking shots all series.

Good thing the Canucks let them get into their heads and now don’t even attempt to take shots anymore.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Man I have to only imagine how this forum treated the Sedins back in the day lol

Henrik had more points in a single game against Nashville than Pettersson's has in three. Soon to be four.

The Sedins weren't bad against the Prefs. They just weren't as dynamic. Pettersson has been anemic offensively for two months now.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
False. Canuck fans are obsessed with effort level. Scrubs are hailed as heros if they give a shit. You dont try, you get rightfully roasted
Don’t agree there…PDG gives effort every shift but he’s highly limited and gets shit on by fans all over the place when he scrubs up the joint.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Again, Tocchet is learning to be a playoffs coach. Lots of more experienced guys have made the same mistakes, and repeated them postseason after postseason.

This is common shit, other team traps you and you can't produce offence. They forecheck super hard. Jon Cooper couldn't figure this out until he did. Pete DeBoer still hasn't figured it out.

We might still win this series even with so many guys not playing super well. But if we're ever going to win the Cup someday, Tocchet has to learn some new tricks.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Sometimes I wish the NHL had a similar "termination for poor performance" option that the rest of us employees are subject to. I.e., you could formally warn and put a clearly underperforming player on a performance improvement plan, and if they fail to demonstrate objective improvement, you can move to terminate the contract without penalty.

Could sure help inspire some less insipid performances!

Slightly tongue in cheek, of course.

Arbitration on horrendous play would be fair. An arbitrator can wipe a chunk of your contract by a certain amount if you just suck.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think even McDavid struggles with this and it's one of the real, but underappreciated, reasons why guys like Crosby are truly exceptional.

McDavey definitely struggles with that. With the Oilers situation, i think it's similar to the Canucks in some ways. Where Draisaitl is clearly the "emotional engine" of the team. But like JT Miller...that can be both good and bad. He can be a total bozo sometimes too. Pissy Draisaitl is quite the thing.

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
Henrik had more points in a single game against Nashville than Pettersson's has in three.

The Sedins weren't bad against the Prefs. They just weren't as dynamic. Pettersson has been anemic offensively for two months now.

I think people also forget that the Sedins had to deal with prime Weber and Suter in that series, so of course they got shut down a bit by two Norris calibre D.

Reactions: Bourne Endeavor

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Henrik had more points in a single game against Nashville than Pettersson's has in three.

I mean... What year? Henrik had like, 5 years of being in the playoffs by the time he was Petterssons age, and didn't really break out in terms of production until 2008-09 when he was 28.

Reactions: mossey3535

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
People were saying the same shit when Boeser was literally dealing with the death of his father. It's not about feeling bad for them, it's about acknowledging that players are human beings and can struggle to perform for any number of reasons. This is literally why sports psychology exists
You're always going to get jerks who aren't willing to acknowledge very obvious personal issues, as was the situation with Brock and his dad's illness. That said, I think people were frustrated with Brock but largely understood the situation, with only a minority of people throwing underserved shade at him. But who knows what the issue is with Pettersson? He's had this happen for long stretches in the past and it's getting very frustrating.

Pettersson has always been surly and over-confident in the media, while doing impromptu summer interviews with thinly veiled demands of management and publicly refusing to negotiate a contract during the season (even though 99% of negotiating is done by agents). When you combine that with his sulking demeanour and frequent lapses in effort, you have to question if he even wants to be here. This is never going to endear you to a franchise's fans and will make you the target of a lot of criticism. If the effort was there, I doubt the frustration/anger would be this palpable.

Reactions: bbud
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark