GDT: WCSF: Game 4 - Edmonton Oilers vs Vancouver Canucks, 7:30pm, ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I'll be honest, first time I've been nervous. Feel like the Nucks have the edge here and if they go up 3-1.. I can't see us coming back. McDrai need to go nuclear.

rea

Feb 8, 2011
I'll be honest, first time I've been nervous. Feel like the Nucks have the edge here and if they go up 3-1.. I can't see us coming back. McDrai need to go nuclear.

1000025250.gif

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Holland only had 5 years and 25 million in salary to address this. His solutions were Koskinen, Smith, Pickard, Stu and Campbell. Amazingly, he was a former goalie.lol
Canucks did this for years with Cloutier, and Toronto is still doing it. It's more than the goalie - the defensive system and structure also really matters, and I don't think Edmonton has it - but man, you still need a good goalie.

Reactions: settinguptheplay

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010

HISTORICAL VICTORY PROBABILITIES: Leading WLW:
Considering win order; ignoring site order: The team leading WLW irrespective of site order (Vancouver) has the following best-of-7 playoff series and games record through the 2024 NBA/NHL Preliminary rounds:
series record, all best-of-7 sports, all rounds: 263-125 (.678)
series record, all best-of-7 sports, Quarterfinals round: 75-32 (.701)
series record, NHL only, all rounds: 116-66 (.637)
series record, NHL only, Quarterfinals round: 32-16 (.667)
Game 4 record, all best-of-7 sports, all rounds: 195-193 (.503)
Game 4 record, all best-of-7 sports, Quarterfinals round: 53-54 (.495)
Game 4 record, NHL only, all rounds: 90-92 (.495)
Game 4 record, NHL only, Quarterfinals round: 22-26 (.458)

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Canucks did this for years with Cloutier, and Toronto is still doing it. It's more than the goalie - the defensive system and structure also really matters, and I don't think Edmonton has it - but man, you still need a good goalie.
My own theory is that you have to be good in 2 of 3 areas to win a cup in a cap world. We're still behind in G and D which was our problem when he got hired 5 years ago.lol

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
My own theory is that you have to be good in 2 of 3 areas to win a cup in a cap world. We're still behind in G and D which was our problem when he got hired 5 years ago.lol
Agreed. Balance - or a superstar on an ELC - is seemingly required. You simply can't afford to load up cap-wise on offence and ignore depth and D and goaltending.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
It's almost funny because I'm watching Swayman vs Bobrovsky in the East right now and we are looking at AHL stats for our upcoming game.lol

The other East series is a bit more comparable. Carolina hasn't really done much with their goaltending either despite putting a really good team in front of them.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
a superstar on an ELC - is seemingly required
and THIS.. if you can get a few guys making a million before they sign their big contracts, that is huge. our best were Bro and Holloway (for this run.. we obviously had a bunch of first rounders a decade ago but couldn't surround them with D or G either.lol).

Reactions: ziploc

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
The other East series is a bit more comparable. Carolina hasn't really done much with their goaltending either despite putting a really good team in front of them.
I love Carolina and how they are built but it just keeps falling apart.

Reactions: ziploc

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I would not want to fight him

I wouldn't want to fight any NHL player. Even the ones we consider soft. I remember seeing the Sedin Twins in person and being completely blown away by how big they were. These 2 were considered soft Swedes compared to NHL players but to the avg dude walking the streets they'd probably ragdoll just about all.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
I wouldn't want to fight any NHL player. Even the ones we consider soft. I remember seeing the Sedin Twins in person and being completely blown away by how big they were. These 2 were considered soft Swedes compared to NHL players but to the avg dude walking the streets they'd probably ragdoll just about all.

I would love to fight Marchand.

Reactions: MikeK

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016

This is so true. Even if you think of the smallest player on the ice, I'm sure Garland could kick my ass, he's fiesty.

Reactions: MikeK

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I would love to fight Marchand.

I don't know. I get the joke but I've also seen him in person and he's a pretty muscular dude. Has huge wrists and arms. Like I said, compared to the avg dude walking around he'd probably be a lot to handle.

• Haha
Reactions: Trow
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad