Post-Game Talk: WCSF GM 4 | Oilers def. Canucks 3-2 (Garland, Joshua) | Thaaaaaaat sucked.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
There’s actually a route to essentially benching Pettersson and I don’t think it’s that ridiculous.

You’d go back to Blueger with Joshua and Garland, and then move Mikheyev up and put Podkolzin on that line.

Run Pettersson on a fourth line with Hoglander and PDG or whoever.

Now I definitely think there’s better solutions but Lindholm/Podz/Mikh looked good together and the other line is a known quantity.!

Nah, you win with what got you here.

As bad as Pettersson has been, now is the time to overplay him. That way, whatever happens is on your franchise C. Give him the opportunity and it's up to him to seize it, or not.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
We're seeing on D - when Hughes is on the ice, we look great. When he's not, less so. Tocchet seems to have figured that out.

Up front I'd go:

Suter - Miller - Boeser
Hog - Petey - Garland
Joshua - Lindy - Pod
Meh-keyev - Blueger - Laff

Garland maybe the guy to get Petey going.

Hope we stick with Silovs next game vs panicking and going with DeSmith just to switch it up.

Silovs, no question.

Kid was unsteady when he first stepped on ice in round 1. Since then, with every game he's becoming more confident and more composed. Most of the goals were not his fault, he did better than his best and held the line the best he could.

Switching to CDS would be an unbelievably dumb move, no offense on CDS.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Nah, you win with what got you here.

As bad as Pettersson has been, now is the time to overplay him. That way, whatever happens is on your franchise C. Give him the opportunity and it's up to him to seize it, or not.

Tocchet has called out his manhood in the presser, he didn’t signal him out by name but he knew what he was doing.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Burn the gym down

ralph-leprechaun.gif

Nov 1, 2011
Tocchet has called out his manhood in the presser, he didn’t signal him out by name but he knew what he was doing.

He was asked about Petey and responded that there were at least 5 guys who weren’t showing the will necessary to win in the playoff. And completed the comment by adding a few guys, including Petey needed to be better.

That’s not too short of a straight callout by name if it isn’t one.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
He was asked about Petey and responded that there were at least 5 guys who weren’t showing the will necessary to win in the playoff. And completed the comment by adding a few guys, including Petey needed to be better.

That’s not too short of a straight callout by name if it isn’t one.

Those 6 need motivation, calling them out to play better is a wake up call. Also, the media here will eat that shit up and call out those struggling.

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011
I agree, for me….this is the Cup series

It sucks tonight because I know we had them in ot if it got there

That said, we have way more upside than the oilers to this point and the series is tied with us having home advantage

We can do this but we need a full team effort

And Kane to be suspended for the next game

Not sure what makes you think Canucks would have won in OT... Canucks had some sustained pressure in the 3rd at various times, but factor Oilers were possibly holding back a bit to try to sustain a lead, so it made Canucks look good.

As soon as it was tied again and Oilers needed to score, they went to work and executed just like that.

You can view the last 60 seconds of regulation as OT coming early.

I was estatic that Canucks were able to tie it, but with the way how this game went overall, I really don't see how Oilers didn't want it more. This was ultimately such a poor Canuck effort tonight, deserved to lose.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
I'm obviously not going to win the Adams anytime soon, but I don't think Tocchet has handled EP well at all. Insists on stapling Mik to his wing, pushes his 40 goal winger out of town, and rotates AHL'ers on his other wing. On the PP, has EP just stand there to the side waiting for someone to feed him one timers.

Obviously, EP needs to take the blame here, but Tocchet is not helping. I'm not sure if he knows how to handle more offensive players like EP and Kuzy.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I love the blame Tocchet comments.

They actually almost stole this one and he's right too many passengers not stuck in.

Most of the blaming doesn't even make sense or eludes to him controlling the teams effort level?
He does control it because he could have put all the offenders on two lines and then only played 2.5 lines down the stretch.

He's right but he has his own complicity that he needs to deal with or we're not going to go any further.

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011
And if Pettersson played like a 11.6m player and cole didn't score on us like 5 times we would've swept

Whats yours point bud

Surprisingly... Cole actually only cost us that OT GWG.
Miraculously, Canucks won the other 2 games where he giftbagged Oilers a goal in each.

If I'm not mistaken though, he nailed Karlsson with a shot today. So maybe his next agenda is to just take out our guys if he's not deflecting goals in.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Hard to imagine getting a win here on out against a team firing on all cylinders

Ahh, yes. A team firing on all cylinders that barely managed to hold onto a lead, only went 1/2 on the powerplay and whose best player was kept off the score board.

We lost tonight because we showed up for one period and tried to cheat our way to yet another comeback. It finally caught up with us. Nothing about tonight was the Oilers firing on all cylinders.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Ahh, yes. A team firing on all cylinders that barely managed to hold onto a lead, only went 1/2 on the powerplay and whose best player was kept off the score board.

We lost tonight because we showed up for one period and tried to cheat our way to yet another comeback. It finally caught up with us. Nothing about tonight was the Oilers firing on all cylinders.

Need a better effort in game 5. Also, those 6 struggling players need to wake up too. The media here will unleash the pitchforks tomorrow on those guys

WiLBoY

Aug 29, 2009
Still funny that Edmonton almost choked that one away. They can’t defend leads. That 4 minute power play was a killer, as well as Juulsen’s miscue. I think the boys come out fired up for game 5
The same can be said about the Canucks lol

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
We're seeing on D - when Hughes is on the ice, we look great. When he's not, less so. Tocchet seems to have figured that out.

Up front I'd go:

Suter - Miller - Boeser
Hog - Petey - Garland
Joshua - Lindy - Pod
Meh-keyev - Blueger - Laff

Garland maybe the guy to get Petey going.

Hope we stick with Silovs next game vs panicking and going with DeSmith just to switch it up.
Worth a try, it’s hard to breakup that third line but if it can get them skating and actually playing let’s see. The difference between game 3 and 4 is how they started out. Joshua laying the body early in game 3 really helped this game it was the Oilers starting out with really good puck possession.

These guys are capable of playing a full 60 clean, hitting, making plays and getting shots. They are giving the Oilers too much respect and they have to show they want it more rather than sitting back.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
One thing of note is that McDavid/Drai/Nugent-Hopkins/Hyman all were 20+ minutes. The only Canuck forwards that hit the 20 minute mark was Boeser and EP.

Not quite the 29 minutes they were facing last game, but you gotta wonder if the Oilers are gonna start running on fumes.

Again, it's the strategy to win the series, but I don't think it's conducive to winning the Cup, lol.

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
Watching the final sequence again. Kane gets away with another slew foot this time on Hronek, not as bad as the one he threw on Hughes but how does this guy keep getting away with this?

Nonetheless the boys should have had that one from going in but that’s what started that sequence.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad