GDT: WCSF GM 4 | Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers | Tue, May 14 | 6:30PM PST | SPAC | Thunderdome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Difference between the two teams

One is playing their third string goaltender because of injuries and he kept the net.
The other team has no confidence in their first two goalies.
There is a huge difference as well in defensive depth and commitment to a team-wide defensive system. One analyst says the Canucks are having success because it's like 19 Rick Tocchets coming at you, over and over again. Everyone has pretty much bought in.

Which is crazy, given how our last decade has gone.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Knobbie says that McFavoured and Drysaddle will start on different lines, which is probably the right call for them. But we all know that the moment things start looking desperate those two will be back together like Ben Affleck and JLo.

• Haha
Reactions: Killer Orcas

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Oilers seem to have a lot of dudes playing hurt, ekholm & Cry took the morning skate off
Knoblauch said that Broberg playing is partially due to injuries so yeah, Ekholm definitely got banged up last game

But Drai has been unbelievable the last two games injured so I wouldn’t be expecting bad ekholm

Reactions: Bgav and ziploc

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Knobbie says that McFavoured and Drysaddle will start on different lines, which is probably the right call for them. But we all know that the moment things start looking desperate those two will be back together like Ben Affleck and JLo.

He also said they might go with 11 forwards and double shift them. I wouldn't be shocked if one of them is out there for literally every shift.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
He also said they might go with 11 forwards and double shift them. I wouldn't be shocked if one of them is out there for literally every shift.
It's a crazy strategy that suggests it's not Cup or Bust so much as "Please please can we win at least one more game or possibly series."

Reactions: Killer Orcas

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I thought the Canucks looked a bit gassed in the latter half of Sundays game...Conversely, its not really sustainable for the Oilers to keep playing McD and Draisaitl for half an hour each game.

Canucks are the more physical team, and the outside noises in Edmonton are chiding the team for not matching the Canucks physicality..To be honest, I don't think they have the players to match Miller,Z,Joshua,Soucy.

The Canucks are getting horrendously outshot..Having to have the goalie stand on his head every game is a bit worrisome.

Fingers crossed, hope they win tonight.
I think the Canucks looked gassed cause they had to chase the McFirstLine for half the game. Not sustainable on either side, but I cant see the McFirstLine being as efficient if they have to keep doing it, which lessens the pressure on our guys... provided the oilers are chasing that is

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I think the Canucks looked gassed cause they had to chase the McFirstLine for half the game. Not sustainable on either side, but I cant see the McFirstLine being as efficient if they have to keep doing it, which lessens the pressure on our guys... provided the oilers are chasing that is
At least Juulsen will be fresh. Good news is he can also PK.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Regardless, I'll say this again and again: only easy day is yesterday, games will only get harder, stakes will only get higher.

Our guys need to stand like rocks against the tsunami, and do so proudly.

Do it for Soucy, he stood up for our captain, and gave the league a shining middle finger in the process. He got our backs, we must get his.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
like a drug addict
It's reality. The Oilers don't win a lot of important games with those two separated because the depth still kills them. But putting them on one line also makes them more susceptible to losing come playoff time because you just need to shut that one line down..and not even completely shut down.

Reactions: Vector

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Regardless, I'll say this again and again: only easy day is yesterday, games will only get harder, stakes will only get higher.

Our guys need to stand like rocks against the tsunami, and do so proudly.

Do it for Soucy, he stood up for our captain, and gave the league a shining middle finger in the process. He got our backs, we must get his.
1715707865499.png

Randip’s saying Henrique is out…

Broberg isn’t a better option than their other guys but these moves on the margins do not matter. Nashville won the game Barrie played.

Feels like Edmonton’s season rests on tonight while we still have 2-2 to fall back on. I don’t think I’d say their season rests on tonight if they didn’t go to Pickard but that shatters the mental if he doesn’t perform
Game 4 is really a series-swinger. Hard, but not impossible, to see McFavored and the Oily Boys coming back from 3-1. Still gotta win tonight though, and it will likely be the hardest game yet.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
It's reality. The Oilers don't win a lot of important games with those two separated because the depth still kills them. But putting them on one line also makes them more susceptible to losing come playoff time because you just need to shut that one line down..and not even completely shut down.

Limit them, basically. The they had no goals at even strength last game. The rest of their team hasn't been able to generate anything.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Need to keep Karlsson in the line-up. Garland gave him the game puck last game. Who hands out the puck next if you win? You don’t mess with the hockey gods that way.

Also, I think Garland knew what he was doing giving the puck to who he did. Players recognized Karlsson was playing the right way—and implicitly that the player he was replacing was not

Karlsson>Hoglander>>>Mikheyev

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Ekholm is like a Hedman lite out there but defensively better. Seeing Lindholm and Joshua pound him on the opening shifts last game definitely took a toll.

Reactions: ziploc

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Limit them, basically. The they had no goals at even strength last game. The rest of their team hasn't been able to generate anything.
It's weird because they have some players that can score. RNH and Kane aren't completely awful. But I think the huge over reliance on the top line just takes their other guys out of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad