GDT: WCSF GM 4 | Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers | Tue, May 14 | 6:30PM PST | SPAC | Thunderdome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
It's weird because they have some players that can score. RNH and Kane aren't completely awful. But I think the huge over reliance on the top line just takes their other guys out of the game.
When it comes down to it, RNH and Kane aren't great offensive players. Kane is a 50 point pace player the last two seasons and that's with spending quite a bit of time with one of those two elite players.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Hmmm... The Oilers are trying to cover for weakness instead of playing to strength (McDraiHy). It's smart and I think this will be the toughest test for the Canucks:

Kulak-Bouchard
Nurse-Desharnais
Broberg-Ceci
Ekholm

Pickard

If they break Nurse-Ceci up and get average goaltending from Pickard, then it's up to Pettersson to reassert the depth advantage the Canucks have and for the Canucks' second pairing of Zadorov-Myers to step up against either McDavid or Draisaitl.

Last, If McDrai is split up, then the Miller line has to make hay against McDavid. This is now their chance to overwhelm at the top.

Going to be a great game.

Last edited:

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Reading the Oilers board is so damn entertaining. Seeing posts that claim Pickard is way better than Silovs and it’s a guaranteed win :laugh:

What is in the Edmonton water
Skinner was so much better than Silovs as well.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
One of the keys will be to do what they did in the first last game and keep it up for a little bit longer. Put pressure on their new configuration and goaltender so they don't have a chance to get any flow. Frustrate them.

The longer you let them hang around the more comfortable they'll get and more likely McDavid & Draisaitl will take over. Same with hanging back and not putting any pressure in the offensive zone; it tires you out and let's them learn how to play in their new format.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
He doesn't but he's put in a bit of a hard place. I get doing something drastic like this after not getting any results from the last three games. Sometimes these sorts of changes wake a team up. If it works and those two playing on every line gets others going and it carries over into the next game then maybe he can finally reduce their ice-time and he's got a real team. Doesn't work and there's not much else he can do.
i think the potential mistake is going with the nuclear option way too early.

One of the keys will be to do what they did in the first last game and keep it up for a little bit longer. Put pressure on their new configuration and goaltender so they don't have a chance to get any flow. Frustrate them.

The longer you let them hang around the more comfortable they'll get and more likely McDavid & Draisaitl will take over. Same with hanging back and not putting any pressure in the offensive zone; it tires you out and let's them learn how to play in their new format.
Muck shit up

Reactions: Vector

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Reading the Oilers board is so damn entertaining. Seeing posts that claim Pickard is way better than Silovs and it’s a guaranteed win :laugh:

1715713026099.png

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
i think the potential mistake is going with the nuclear option way too early.

Is it too early? Lose tonight and you're down 3-1. So stick with what wasn't working or try something different. They don't have the depth to tinker around the edges or even mix up the lines all that much.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Honest question...should I be worried about Pickard? Losing Skinner really hurts us but then, based on the stats, Pickard is an even worse goalie.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
this is the biggest game of juulsen's life. kind of cool for him. you play your whole career waiting for a moment like this.

it's a perfect storm. this is a must win for the oilers home game where knaublauch already threw game management out the window and played mcdavid 30 minutes last game. if the game is close, the oilers will load up on juulsen every chance they get and they will mentally think he is the weak spot and test him. great moment for him to take on that challenge.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I have full faith in Nurse and Ceci to be able to sink whatever pairing they are on. Splitting them up may make two pairings that are vulnerable to defensive break down.

Reactions: Britton

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth

I know it's a joke but hockey really is the only thing to do there other than work. They are so delusional about the Oilers. Next to Toronto fans I'm not sure there are any other fanbase like EDM.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Honest question...should I be worried about Pickard? Losing Skinner really hurts us but then, based on the stats, Pickard is an even worse goalie.

Not about Pickard specifically. He's average, at best. This game should be as big of an unknown as game one. Only this time we have no idea how the Oilers are going to respond. This is the first time the Oilers have faced any real adversity under Knoblauch.

So I wouldn't be worried or concerned about anything. Personally, I'm also not confident but am very interested to see how the Oilers react.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
I know it's a joke but hockey really is the only thing to do there other than work. They are so delusional about the Oilers. Next to Toronto fans I'm not sure there are any other fanbase like EDM.

They can build snowmans!

Reactions: MikeK

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Ekholm not at practice?

Lindy and Daks hits paying dividends. If their best Dman is out its a must we take advantage of that

Petey O

I can teach you how to play gicky gackers
Feb 26, 2021
Brock Boeser
Not about Pickard specifically. He's average, at best. This game should be as big of an unknown as game one. Only this time we have no idea how the Oilers are going to respond. This is the first time the Oilers have faced any real adversity under Knoblauch.

So I wouldn't be worried or concerned about anything. Personally, I'm also not confident but am very interested to see how the Oilers react.
Honestly, I’m just happy to be here. Even if the Canucks went on to lose every game from here on out I would be happy with this season. All of the pressure is on Edmonton. This was supposed to be a bubble team at best, and now they have a chance to take a commanding lead in the series against a team that was supposed to roll the Pacific.

No idea how the Coilers will respond. This core has proven itself so far, but can they really take out this two headed hydra?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad