WCSF | Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | Round 2 - FIGHT!

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

It’s official, bring on the Oilers!

1714790122557.png

IMG_0045.jpegIMG_0047.jpeg

Oiler Killers:
Quinn Hughes - 25GP, 3G, 19A, 22Pts
JT Miller - 32GP, 11G, 23A, 34Pts
Brock Boeser - 31GP, 16G, 11A, 27Pts

Season Series:
October 11, 2023
Vancouver def. Edmonton - 8-1

October 14, 2023
Vancouver def. Edmonton - 4-3

November 6, 2023
Vancouver def. Edmonton - 6-2

April 13, 2024
Vancouver def. Edmonton 3-1

Last edited:

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
I've gone through mental health bouts before. He looks like he's suffering badly and hasn't slept in weeks. I don't know if that's because he knows he's playing poorly, or because he doesn't want to be here.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
I've wondered this too at times but it's a dangerous thing to speculate on.

I don't view it as dangerous. Mental health should be normalized, not spoken about in hushed tones.

Plus I think we've all probably worked with people who don't really love their jobs that much and kind of mail it in at work and aren't necessarily 'mentally ill'. I think it's probably more likely that Pettersson wasn't really happy in Vancouver and wanted to leave and that he felt pressured to re-sign and is now just kind of miserable and wishing he was somewhere else. And you don't have to have clinical depression or be bipolar for that to be the case.

That the absolute death spiral in his play seems to time from the contract extension seems significant.

This is a somewhat dinosaur take. Mental health issue doesn't just mean something like bipolar disorder. It could be a confidence issue. Maybe something like imposter syndrome or the yips.

The problem is that this isn't the first time his play has fallen off a cliff.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
...And you don't have to have clinical depression or be bipolar for that to be the case.

That the absolute death spiral in his play seems to time from the contract extension seems significant.
Significant life events (good or bad) can sometimes trigger worsening symptoms. Re-titrating medication can often take months to take effect. I don't pretend to speak with any confidence on this matter but it's not an unreasonable take either.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don't view it as dangerous. Mental health should be normalized, not spoken about in hushed tones.

This is a somewhat dinosaur take. Mental health issue doesn't just mean something like bipolar disorder. It could be a confidence issue. Maybe something like imposter syndrome or the yips.

The problem is that this isn't the first time his play has fallen off a cliff.

Talking about your own mental health is great and should be normalized. Speculating/playing doctor without any evidence that people you don't know might be mentally ill is dangerous, and not a good thing.

His mental health might not be great right now but there's a big difference between mental health and mental illness.

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
I'm starting to think that it's a mental health issue for him. Dude just sounded defeated. Voice and body language.

Like, this is bad even when considering the typical ennui that Scandinavians are born with.
I know what you mean, but he also always kind of sounds like that. I think it's fairer to say he's just a blank cipher on which we can project anything we like except happiness.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Talking about your own mental health is great and should be normalized. Speculating/playing doctor without any evidence that people you don't know might be mentally ill is dangerous, and not a good thing.

His mental health might not be great right now but there's a big difference between mental health and mental illness.

100% agree with this.

And it's not in the same stratosphere but I also don't think jumping to the conclusion that he hates Vancouver and was pressured into signing the contract is helpful either.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
100% agree with this.

And it's not in the same stratosphere but I also don't think jumping to the conclusion that he hates Vancouver and was pressured into signing the contract is helpful either.

Fair enough, although I want to be clear that I'm not speculating that that's 'likely' the case or jumping to the conclusion that that 'is' the case, just that to me an explanation like that or in that realm of possibilities is 'more likely' than going the mental illness route.

As I've said several times, I've never seen anything like this (going back 4 years now) from a player and I don't know what the heck is happening.

Reactions: Nomobo and Vector

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015

How is it dangerous?

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
Boudreau had his coaching flaws but one thing he did well was managing Pettersson allowing him to play to his potential. Perhaps he would have been good helping Petey out right now.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
You don't see the problem with speculating that an athlete might be mentally ill based on how they look skating around a hockey rink?

I said that he might have a mental health issue and that it could be confidence based, imposter syndrome, etc.

You're the one touting around serious diagnoses like bi-polar disorder.

This is how mental health stuff gets stigmatized -- the very thought of bringing it up is beyond the pale when it should be normalized and treated like any other kind of physical injury.

Talking about mental health is great. Throwing around labels and diagnoses on people when we don't like how they're behaving is ... not cool.

...you're the one doing that. All I said is that whatever problems are going on may be mental health related.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I said that he might have a mental health issue and that it could be confidence based, imposter syndrome, etc.

You're the one touting around serious diagnoses like bi-polar disorder.

This is how mental health stuff gets stigmatized -- the very thought of bringing it up is beyond the pale when it should be normalized and treated like any other kind of physical injury.

...you're the one doing that. All I said is that whatever problems are going on may be mental health related.

Fair enough. My comments are piggybacking off a few other discussions here recently where people have literally said he MUST be clinically depressed or some such.

Like, he looks miserable and has looked miserable here for a long time - most of the last 4 years. Where the line is between 'mental health' and just 'guy just isn't happy for reasons' I have no idea.

Reactions: Nomobo

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
If we can speculate about physical injuries, we can speculate about mental health/illness issues.

Once people don't even bat an eye at that, we will know that mental health/illness is no longer stigmatized.

We aren't there yet, so I won't speculate on Petey.

He is capable of more. Something mental or physical or allegorical is getting in the way, probably all three.

I will say this. Garland at one time wanted out. Ask him now. May still want out, but he seems happy for now in his current situation. Ditto for Brock. Excuse me, BROCK.

These things come and go in waves, sometimes tsunamis. Being positive (as a coach, as a media dude, as a fan) about the situation is always the best recourse. Zoe Seldana explains it extremely well, when she spoke of doing the original Avatar with James Cameron.

Of course, all of this positivity is anathema to me because I am . . . well, you know . . .

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
If we can speculate about physical injuries, we can speculate about mental health/illness issues.

Once people don't even bat an eye at that, we will know that mental health/illness is no longer stigmatized.

We aren't there yet, so I won't speculate on Petey.

He is capable of more. Something mental or physical or allegorical is getting in the way, probably all three.

I will say this. Garland at one time wanted out. Ask him now. May still want out, but he seems happy for now in his current situation. Ditto for Brock. Excuse me, BROCK.

These things come and go in waves, sometimes tsunamis. Being positive (as a coach, as a media dude, as a fan) about the situation is always the best recourse. Zoe Seldana explains it extremely well, when she spoke of doing the original Avatar with James Cameron.

Of course, all of this positivity is anathema to me because I am . . . well, you know . . .
Depression and anxiety are widespread and treatable with medication. When symptoms are under control, there's no reason that someone can't function at a very high level. It shouldn't be stigmatized any more than asthma or diabetes.

Reactions: I am toxic

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Didn't Boudreau have Pettersson change his skate profile and he played considerably better after? And am I crazy but he recently commented on it looks like he switched back. Could it all be so simple.

(We're grasping at straws here)

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Didn't Boudreau have Pettersson change his skate profile and he played considerably better after? And am I crazy but he recently commented on it looks like he switched back. Could it all be so simple.

(We're grasping at straws here)
Probably part of it, although if I was betting I would say they have messed up his RoH. It's counter-intuitive, and I am guessing they intuited wrong

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
The media, and one of them sounds like Elliotte Friedman, are just brutal towards Petey, and he's clearly not happy about it and I don't blame him one bit. He's hit a rough patch and he knows that better than anyone.

Does that sound like Friedman to anyone else? I really feel for Peetey here and I want to smack Friedman upside the head.

I don't mind it.

Media's gotta do their job and ask the questions that the anxious hockey fans want them to.

Petey's knows how to give non-answers and talk about what happened.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Pretty much the entire HF Canucks forum hates me because I’ve been saying these things about Petey for the last 6 months but now that it’s come to the forefront of the team and it’s front and centre it’s kind of sad.

Dude seems like a wreck. Maybe he went through a bad break up or some shit?

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
Pretty much the entire HF Canucks forum hates me because I’ve been saying these things about Petey for the last 6 months but now that it’s come to the forefront of the team and it’s front and centre it’s kind of sad.

Dude seems like a wreck. Maybe he went through a bad break up or some shit?
I don't think anyone hates you. You just don't talk about anything else other then how much Pettersson sucks and it gets pretty old, pretty fast.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Boudreau had his coaching flaws but one thing he did well was managing Pettersson allowing him to play to his potential. Perhaps he would have been good helping Petey out right now.
Except that at times this season Pettersson has been a dominant player....so it isn't about 'coaching'.

I wonder if there was a reason why Pettersson wanted to delay his contract talks until the off-season? It seems to me that ever since he signed that $11.6m contract, which is $3m higher than the next highest paid guy on the team, his game has gone into the toilet.

It's probably not just the pressure of the playoffs--but also performing to level of that contract.

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
Except that at times this season Pettersson has been a dominant player....so it isn't about 'coaching'.

I wonder if there was a reason why Pettersson wanted to delay his contract talks until the off-season? It seems to me that ever since he signed that $11.6m contract, which is $3m higher than the next highest paid guy on the team, his game has gone into the toilet.

It's probably not just the pressure of the playoffs--but also performing to level of that contract.
Maybe it's all the extra money stuffed in his skates that's effecting his play?

Maybe he needs to get his hands on a giant vault like room to fill with gold coins a la scrooge mcduck where he can do low impact cardio swimming in the coins to keep in shape in the off season.

Reactions: I am toxic

Lenny Levino

May 15, 2024
I've gone through mental health bouts before. He looks like he's suffering badly and hasn't slept in weeks. I don't know if that's because he knows he's playing poorly, or because he doesn't want to be here.
I've heard that he's a good Fortnite player. Perhaps he's addicted to video games in general? Which makes him stay up too late, not sleep enough, not eat properly etc. He's probably even thinking about playing Fortnite while he's on the ice (lol).

If it's not this, does anyone know whether he recently moved to a new house or apartment (within the last year or so)? Lots of buildings in Vancouver have mold and I myself struggled with that for like ten years without knowing what it was. I couldn't think straight, became intolerant to exercise (I would get flu-like symptoms after each workout) and just had overwhelming fatigue overall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad