Votes: 2 3.3%

Votes: 3 5.0%

Votes: 4 6.7%

Votes: 17 28.3%

• Total voters

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
If the Avs go down in the first round with Mikko and Nate on the same the line, I'd say it's time for Bednar to go. That is the one fatal flaw I think Bednar has, he's either a hockey idiot or he's allowing his locker room to make his decisions for him. As long as they win, it's golden but when they lose due to no depth scoring it's on him.

I remember PL actually told the players that losing had consequences and he wasn't talking just about the coach. I'm not sure Joe or Chris work that way but at some point, it is on the players to perform.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
If the Avs go down in the first round with Mikko and Nate on the same the line, I'd say it's time for Bednar to go. That is the one fatal flaw I think Bednar has, he's either a hockey idiot or he's allowing his locker room to make his decisions for him. As long as they win, it's golden but when they lose due to no depth scoring it's on him.

I remember PL actually told the players that losing had consequences and he wasn't talking just about the coach. I'm not sure Joe or Chris work that way but at some point, it is on the players to perform.

I don’t think this is the case at all.

I think it’s just his preference to load up. He’s really always been like that. Philosophically that’s what he believes is best. The guy has coached his way to a lot of wins having MacK, Rants, and Makar win the battle against other teams top players.

He went away from it last year out of necessity with JT at 2C. If Johansen struggles to get his footing, I would expect him to try Rantanen on his wing.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021

👍

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
I don’t think this is the case at all.

I think it’s just his preference to load up. He’s really always been like that. Philosophically that’s what he believes is best. The guy has coached his way to a lot of wins having MacK, Rants, and Makar win the battle against other teams top players.

He went away from it last year out of necessity with JT at 2C. If Johansen struggles to get his footing, I would expect him to try Rantanen on his wing.
I think this is a minor league mindset of which he cannot rid himself. From Juniors to AHL, if you can load up one really good line, you can win every game. Hell, back in the 70s you might be able to pull it off with a Gillies / Trottier / Bossy line up. But it just does not work in the contemporary NHL. McDrai does not work as a single line for crying out loud.

One possibility is that the bruising 2nd line always goes against the opponents' first lines and keeps them in check and in band-aids. That leaves Mac / Mikko / Drouin to feast on a lesser 2nd line. That is easier to do with the home ice last change, so let's see if Bednar uses nuke/ryjo/lehky in that manner. I doubt it. Almost any criticism of Bednar in HF stems from his inability to change. PP, PK, clearing the puck, transitioning out of the defensive zone: Bednar always seems to lean on what worked in the minors. His doghouse reeks of minor-league mentality as well.

To me, today's NHL demands that the first two - if not three - lines have a passer, a sniper and a 'dirty-work' guy:

Dirty Work guys: 4- LOC; 3 - Wood; 2 - Lehky; 1 - Nuke
Passing guys: 4 - Olofson; 3- Tatar; 2 - Ryjo; 1- Drouin
Sniper guys 4- Cogliano; 3 - Colton; 2 - Mikko; 1 - Mac

Sure, the third line doesn't really fit the profile, but that trio likely could if this was part of the Avalanche identity.

I think I've done a good job of being the biggest Bednar hater in this group. That said he has built a mindset and culture, which I suppose is enough to give him job security. But change out the assistants and give him a good 'bench coach' who is in charge of all the X and O's. Ray Bennet already does most of that ( but not particularly well) so why not formalize it and pull someone with Head Coaching experience to be the bench manager?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think this is a minor league mindset of which he cannot rid himself. From Juniors to AHL, if you can load up one really good line, you can win every game. Hell, back in the 70s you might be able to pull it off with a Gillies / Trottier / Bossy line up. But it just does not work in the contemporary NHL. McDrai does not work as a single line for crying out loud.

One possibility is that the bruising 2nd line always goes against the opponents' first lines and keeps them in check and in band-aids. That leaves Mac / Mikko / Drouin to feast on a lesser 2nd line. That is easier to do with the home ice last change, so let's see if Bednar does the smart thing. I doubt it. Almost any criticism of Bednar in HF stems from his inability to change. PP, PK, clearing the puck, transitioning out of the defensive zone: Bednar always seems to lean on what worked in the minors. His doghouse reeks of minor-league mentality as well.

To me, today's NHL demands that the first two - if not three - lines have a passer, a sniper and a 'dirty-work' guy:

Dirty Work guys: 4- LOC; 3 - Wood; 2 - Lehky; 1 - Nuke
Passing guys: 4 - Olofson; 3- Tatar; 2 - Ryjo; 1- Drouin
Sniper guys 4- Cogliano; 3 - Colton; 2 - Mikko; 1 - Mac

Sure, the third line doesn't really fit the profile, but that trio likely could if this was part of the Avalanche identity.

I think I've done a good job of being the biggest Bednar hater in this group. That said he has built a mindset and culture, which I suppose is enough to give him job security. But change out the assistants and give him a good 'bench coach' who is in charge of all the X and O's. Ray Bennet already does most of that ( but not particularly well) so why not formalize it and pull someone with Head Coaching experience to be the bench manager?
Can't really agree with much of any of this.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Wait does this record also include the 1970s Habs, 1980s Oilers, and some of those crazy teams in the 1920s as well?
I assume so. Why wouldn't it? But back then there were draws, so that counts them out? Today you can win in overtime or penalties.. that's a cheatcode.

Reactions: S E P H

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
That second line is putting a lot of faith in Drouin to create on his own. I know it’s not happening but I wish we could just get Mikko driving his own line

That Wood goal that got called back was with 4x4, Wood, and Enigma on the ice together. That's what I was hoping Tartar would do for them.

Those types of offsides are f***ing stupid by the way.. Zero reason to be able to call that back when its that close that the linesman doesn't see it.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

I agree, but our depth seems to be contributing. Tatar with 3 points, Nuke with 3, LOC has 2 goals, Cogs with 2, and everyone is on the board except Byram, McDermy, and Oo.

His hand isn't going to be forced until that stops, or at least if Ryjo continues to be cold a while longer, and I don't think Ryjo has been bad.

Ryjo does need someone that can slow the game down a bit with him, and I know Rants is a point Machine but it doesn't feel like he's impacting the game much until he comes out if nowhere with a highlight. I'd be curious to see what they would look like together for a few games for sure.

So yeah, I still want it tried, but Bednar obviously won't until his hand is forced. I think he will eventually if it gets to that though.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I agree, but our depth seems to be contributing. Tatar with 3 points, Nuke with 3, LOC has 2 goals, Cogs with 2, and everyone is on the board except Byram, McDermy, and Oo.

His hand isn't going to be forced until that stops, or at least if Ryjo continues to be cold a while longer, and I don't think Ryjo has been bad.

Ryjo does need someone that can slow the game down a bit with him, and I know Rants is a point Machine but it doesn't feel like he's impacting the game much until he comes out if nowhere with a highlight. I'd be curious to see what they would look like together for a few games for sure.

So yeah, I still want it tried, but Bednar obviously won't until his hand is forced. I think he will eventually if it gets to that though.
Oh, I'm always slightly disappointed by this because I like to see two lines that can dominate but we haven't been beaten yet this season by it. Even when (yes, it will happen) we lose a game, I won't be too worried. Stuff happens. If losing becomes a trend because of it, that's when I start to get uneasy.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Oh, I'm always slightly disappointed by this because I like to see two lines that can dominate but we haven't been beaten yet this season by it. Even when (yes, it will happen) we lose a game, I won't be too worried. Stuff happens. If losing becomes a trend because of it, that's when I start to get uneasy.

There was lots of change over, so the lines are not settled, but I agree, and so do most of the people here.

Mikko and Mack should be running their own lines. Obviously overload a line if you're chasing, but he could of at least tried it up 3 goals.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
Eventually we will see RyJo and Mikko together but Bednar doesn't want to make it too easy for Johansen too early.

Make him learn to play with our grinders, Nuke and Lehky, first.

Same thing with Bo trying to play the right side. Might as well challenge him early and hopefully it will help him improve long-term.

Reactions: Chiarelli

frogman210

https://puck-planet.com/
Feb 10, 2009
USA
Can't wait for tonight. This should be a really good match-up. I still think that the Avalanche come away with the NHL consecutive road wins record. What do you think the final score will be?

I am going to start with the prediction of a tight-checking game with Ross scoring an empty netter late to make it a 3-1 Avalanche victory setting the record and continuing the great start to the season that we have seen. This in my opinion will be their toughest game so far this season but definitely one I believe they can win.

I think I'm going to start calling him RJ too. I'm sick of typing RyJo.
Seriously that is much easier. I am taking this from you as I see you took it from him. Whoever wants is welcome to take it from me next! :) lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad