Pre-Game Talk: WEEK 28: Last Week of Regular Season "The Continued Suck" at Vegas, vs Oil

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
It could be the recipe for sweeping the Jets
Felt last year that our best chance in round 1 was Seattle and I feel the same this year with the Jets.

If we can't beat the Jets we weren't winning the cup anyway. In the West alone they are weaker than Dallas, Edmonton and Vegas.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Felt last year that our best chance in round 1 was Seattle and I feel the same this year with the Jets.

If we can't beat the Jets we weren't winning the cup anyway. In the West alone they are weaker than Dallas, Edmonton and Vegas.
I don't understand how anyone can watch those 3 games vs. Winnipeg, and still think this. IMO, The Jets are the worst matchup for the Avs out of all 7 other west playoff teams. Bowness absolutely owns Bednar and the Avs. None of those 3 games were really competitive. 6-2, 4-2, and 7-0. I think that series maybe goes 5 games, and more than likely 4 really ugly losses in a sweep. The goaltending matchup alone is enough to think it won't be close.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Blew a 3-0 lead after 2 periods, and already lost to Veags in OT.

3-5-2 in last 10.

Goal tending is atrocious.

PK is awful.

Team D is horrendous.

Good way to head into the playoffs vs. a team that has absolutely owned you this season!
Only thing I will disagree with is team D. I keep pounding the table on this but the Avalanche defensively are not a bad hockey team.

8th in scoring chances against/60.
12th in high danger chances against/60 (better than Vegas, Winnipeg, Toronto, NYR)
23rd in SV%.

Those are the 5v5 numbers.

It's not a team defense problem.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Only thing I will disagree with is team D. I keep pounding the table on this but the Avalanche defensively are not a bad hockey team.

8th in scoring chances against/60.
12th in high danger chances against/60 (better than Vegas, Winnipeg, Toronto, NYR)
23rd in SV%.

Those are the 5v5 numbers.

It's not a team defense problem.
I didn’t watch the game (but how the F do you lose being up 3-0 when you need a win?!)… but this point is just not getting through for some reason. Avs aren’t perfect defensively, but they are very good and the goaltending has been a major problem, namely George. Everything supports that as the case.

Reactions: dahrougem2

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Blew a 3-0 lead after 2 periods, and already lost to Veags in OT.

3-5-2 in last 10.

Goal tending is atrocious.

PK is awful.

Team D is horrendous.

Good way to head into the playoffs vs. a team that has absolutely owned you this season!
We gave up 4 HDCA at ES today. 4! Defense is not the issue right now.

Reactions: GeoRox89

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I didn’t watch the game (but how the F do you lose being up 3-0 when you need a win?!)… but this point is just not getting through for some reason. Avs aren’t perfect defensively, but they are very good and the goaltending has been a major problem, namely George. Everything supports that as the case.
You missed a classic Georgiev performance. As soon as that 1st awful goal went in, we all knew: it was game over. Avs players looked to know it, too.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
You missed a classic Georgiev performance. As soon as that 1st awful goal went in, we all knew: it was game over. Avs players looked to know it, too.
They literally waited for it to happen and helped it with bad defensive plays, bad penalties and bad PK.

How many shots for the Avs in the 3rd? Was it 2 shots in the whole period?

UYi8fDw.png

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I don't understand how anyone can watch those 3 games vs. Winnipeg, and still think this. IMO, The Jets are the worst matchup for the Avs out of all 7 other west playoff teams. Bowness absolutely owns Bednar and the Avs. None of those 3 games were really competitive. 6-2, 4-2, and 7-0. I think that series maybe goes 5 games, and more than likely 4 really ugly losses in a sweep. The goaltending matchup alone is enough to think it won't be close.
Yeah the Jets will kill the Avs. Everything favors them.

Home ice, more than likely.

Better coach.

Better goalie.

Better special teams.

Really the only thing the Avs have that they don't have is 29. If somehow he goes nuclear hot and straight carries, like 15-20pts in the series carries, we might win. Anything short of that we'll lose in 4 or 5.

But there is no way in hell the Jets will let 29 pop off. He'll be their primary, second and 3rd focus.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
George gave up a shitty goal early in the 3rd, and absolutely fell apart after that. The team broke down, they know once the dam breaks they are f***ed.

It's an unwinnable situation. This team is cooked. Can't play if you don't any have any faith the goalie will make a save. They are trying to play perfect, which is leading to bad play and mistakes. They can't try to do something you just have to play the game freely and they aren't able to do that.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
They literally waited for it to happen and helped it with bad defensive plays, bad penalties and bad PK.

How many shots for the Avs in the 3rd? Was it 2 shots in the whole period?

UYi8fDw.png
And yet, those supposed "bad defensive plays" should not have resulted in more than 1 goal against.

You keep harping on the Avs being this supposedly horrible defensive hockey team. I have provided you with the statistics to prove otherwise. You keep harping on it.

You know what actual goaltenders do when their team gives up scoring chances? They make saves. They don't make all of them, but they make a decent amount of them.

You know what Georgiev does? Gives up goals where the defensemen does what he's been taught since 5 years old and takes the man in front, leaving the shooter for Georgiev and the guy still gets beat far side from in tight on the PP.

It makes my blood boil. He's a horrible goaltender, and the players on this team know it.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
And yet, those supposed "bad defensive plays" should not have resulted in more than 1 goal against.

You keep harping on the Avs being this supposedly horrible defensive hockey team. I have provided you with the statistics to prove otherwise. You keep harping on it.

You know what actual goaltenders do when their team gives up scoring chances? They make saves. They don't make all of them, but they make a decent amount of them.

You know what Georgiev does? Gives up goals where the defensemen does what he's been taught since 5 years old and takes the man in front, leaving the shooter for Georgiev and the guy still gets beat far side from in tight on the PP.

It makes my blood boil. He's a horrible goaltender, and the players on this team know it.
JFC we have already established that Georgiev is not making the saves needed. No one here is arguing against that.

TWO SHOTS ON GOAL, SEVERAL DEFENSIVE BREAKDOWNS AND 2 MINOR PENALTIES. THAT'S HOW THE AVS HELPED THEIR SHITTY GOALIE IN THE 3RD PERIOD.

Hill gave up the worst goal of the game (Colton) and Vegas didn't stop playing did they?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
JFC we have already established that Georgiev is not making the saves needed. No one here is arguing against that.

TWO SHOTS ON GOAL, SEVERAL DEFENSIVE BREAKDOWNS AND 2 MINOR PENALTIES. THAT'S HOW THE AVS HELPED THEIR SHITTY GOALIE IN THE 3RD PERIOD.

Hill gave up the worst goal of the game (Colton) and Vegas didn't stop playing did they?
Again, you keep bringing up these "several defensive breakdowns." Which breakdowns? The 1st goal that SHOULD be stopped? The 2nd goal where he had all day to square up and zero threat of a pass? You can't honestly tell me you expect the Avs to be perfect in every aspect. EVERY team has defensive breakdowns. If those are the breakdowns the Avs give up nightly we have the greatest f***ing team in hockey.

Take Colton's goal away. This game still should have finished 2-1 Avs.

The Avs play MORE than well enough defensively in front of Georgiev. You can't ask them to suddenly change up and become the 2019 New York Islanders.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

The Avs did a great job for Georgie today. Only gave up 4 high danger chances against... 4! The defense was more than fine today and it has been all season.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca

I think you illustrate an important point though. I would guess Georgiev is not the most popular guy in the room and the team doesn't have his support. They'd rather force Bednar to make the decision he doesn't want to than have him as their starter.

Just a hunch, but I wouldn't be surprised. I bet most of the guys trust Annunen more at this point too.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
According to who? You?

Moneypuck disagrees. In fact we didn't deserve to win any of the last 6 games according to their stats and that's regardless of goaltending.
Idgaf what "moneypuck" says. Watch the game. The Avalanche gave up 4 high danger chances at even strength the entire game. They generated more than double that offensively and it wasn't even a good offensive night.

The goaltender cost this team the game, but we aren't going to agree here so let's just move on.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Last year they were on an absolute heater and seized the division with that final push. How did that work out? The only teams hotter than the Avs entering the playoffs were the Bruins and Oilers. Trying to enter the playoffs hot is a waste and the Avs management knows it.
I actually agree with this

Reactions: Bender

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Georgiev is just so bad man. Foolish to continue insisting he is the de facto starter no matter what. Good luck with the 1st round exit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad