What wrong with "Mitch'in" Marner?

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
I find it crazy that Matthews get a pass but Marner doesn’t. Is it because regular season goals or because Marner has a “please punch me” kind of face? As players, he actually shows up more than Austen in the playoffs which isn’t saying much but still, not sure why both of these guys arent laughed out of town.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
I find it crazy that Matthews get a pass but Marner doesn’t. Is it because regular season goals or because Marner has a “please punch me” kind of face? As players, he actually shows up more than Austen in the playoffs which isn’t saying much but still, not sure why both of these guys arent laughed out of town.
Leafs fans have the blinders on for Matthews. He actually is much more disappointing in playoffs relative to expectations of being an "elite player" and his size.

I never want to hear Matthews being brought up in the same breath as Mackinnon or McDavid again. The biggest comparable would be tin man Joe Thornton.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
I think one reason is how he handles the media. He is terrible and makes himself look worse when he talks.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
It's because marner sucks even more and blatantly avoids physical contact in the most important games. He's a wimp

Reactions: algernon

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Marner is a fantastic player.

I don't think he is the type of player to ever hoist a team on his back. That's not really a knock against him necessarily, but he's paid like he is.

The Leafs problems run deeper.

I think this team needs to be stripped down to the studs and completely renovated. This structure doesn't work and it hasn't worked. The culture is non-existent.

Of course I thought that last year and here we are - in a worse place with yet another monster contract on the books.

I think it starts at the top with Shanahan and works its way down with a vengeance.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I’m still dumbfounded that a player that turns the puck over like Marner was actually a Selke finalist last year. Really makes me wonder how bad the voters are at evaluating these players. There is nothing that is more of a killer to a teams defence than turning the puck over unnecessarily.
The Writers Association is always going to favour a big Canadian market like Toronto, especially for an award that’s above their head like what actually makes a forward great defensively.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Leafs fans have the blinders on for Matthews. He actually is much more disappointing in playoffs relative to expectations of being an "elite player" and his size.

I never want to hear Matthews being brought up in the same breath as Mackinnon or McDavid again. The biggest comparable would be tin man Joe Thornton.
McDavid and MacKinnon have put up points in every single game of each of their respective series so far. Matthews has only put up points in 1 out of 4 games so far.

Both McDavid and MacKinnon have only once gone more than 2 games in a series where they didn't score any points. This is now the 4th series Matthews has played in where he was held scoreless for 3 games.

Matthews has put up 0 points in 52% of the playoff games he's played in (28/54). MacKinnon has put up 0 points in 23% of playoff games (19/81), McDavid in 19% (10/52).

Anyone who thinks Matthews is even comparable to McDavid or MacKinnon fundamentally doesn't understand hockey.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

I'm actually stunned how ineffective Matthews is, sure he can score in the regular season and he looks like a beast. When the lights are brighter come playoff time, you have to show up. 1 goal in 4 games this year, that's not just bad that's inexcusable for a player of his caliber.

Reactions: dukeofjive and BB79

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
i think what you are seeing now is the end result of dubas valuing skill above all else. they could really use more players like hyman, kadri, and marchment
Is it just Dubas? Maybe they’ll trade Marner like Vegas might have and get some depth,

But the current GM also went with the same core, the same coach, and added some tough rep guys and the team most certainly did not get better.

It’s really hard to tell how much Shanahan is involved

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Matthews has only put up points in 1 out of 4 games so far.

This is now the 4th series Matthews has played in where he was held scoreless for 3 games.

Matthews has put up 0 points in 52% of the playoff games he's played in (28/54).

And yet here we are with another Marner bashing thread. Ridiculous! Matthews can do no wrong as long as he keeps scoring in the regular season..

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Isn't it amazing?

Here we are.... AGAIN.....in April questioning the skill of one of the 'big 4' and/or Toronto's woes.

PLEASE....HF I am BEGGING YOU.... can we just pretend the Leafs don't exist until they do ANYTHING worthy of the attention? Just one ECF. Until then, the Leafs are trash.

But wait, next October we'll all forget and Toronto will be considered a cup contender once again. :huh:

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
If Marner is one of your main offensive weapons come playoff time, your team ain't winning ****. He would be best used as a supporting piece but the issue is he's paid like a first line franchise player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad