Who should the Chicago Blackhawks select 2nd overall in the 2024 NHL Entry Draft?

Who do the Chicago Blackhawks select 2nd overall?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
"If you can't skate, you can't play for the Blackhawks" - Mike Doneghey.

I just feel like ultimately, Demidov and Buium are getting scratched off the list as they narrow down their selection at #2.

They're not poor skaters, but they're average, and Kyle Davidson is trying to build the fastest team in the league. Those two don't help you achieve that goal.

I think Silayev, Dickinson, and Levshunov are their top 3. Lindstrom would be amongst them if healthy, but that's a big if. Iginla and Parekh are maybe there, but ultimately there's probably less support for them amongst the staff.

Demidov isn't straight line fast - but in terms of short area quickness and shiftiness with the puck on his stick - he's one of the best in this draft - if not the best.

Reactions: bwana63

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria

I just feel like ultimately, Demidov and Buium are getting scratched off the list as they narrow down their selection at #2.

They're not poor skaters, but they're average, and Kyle Davidson is trying to build the fastest team in the league. Those two don't help you achieve that goal.
You can only be a good skater if you have the fastest speed?
Buium has a good skating by what I've seen.

I'd be fine with trading down to #5 if Montreal really wants to have Demidov.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
You're saying that the Blackhawks are 100% guaranteed to pick one of Demidov or Buium?

I'd say the odds that they don't are in my favour.
Well considering that the one source that actually means anything said Demidov or Levshunov are what the Hawks are considering, the odds are much better that they’re taking Demidov than say Dickinson or Silayev like you seem to be convinced of.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Well considering that the one source that actually means anything said Demidov or Levshunov are what the Hawks are considering, the odds are much better that they’re taking Demidov than say Dickinson or Silayev like you seem to be convinced of.
I don't think Scott Powers knows anything. He's just going off what his Athletic buddies are projecting.

After the lotto, Kyle even said they haven't built their board yet. And the combine hasn't taken place yet either.

If Powers has heard anything, it wouldn't be set in stone.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

I think Silayev, Dickinson, and Levshunov are their top 3. Lindstrom would be amongst them if healthy, but that's a big if. Iginla and Parekh are maybe there, but ultimately there's probably less support for them amongst the staff.
In a single post, you have displayed why nobody should pay any attention whatsoever to your opinions.

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019
I don't think Scott Powers knows anything. He's just going off what his Athletic buddies are projecting.

After the lotto, Kyle even said they haven't built their board yet. And the combine hasn't taken place yet either.

If Powers has heard anything, it wouldn't be set in stone.
Obviously things can change and I would hope they will keep doing their homework but I'm quite sure he does know something. He has proven he has connections in the org plenty of times.

And Pronman is lower on Demidov than almost anyone else in mainstream scouting punditry so it isn't just regurgitating The Athletic's rankings either way.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Should I bookmark this for when Kyle explains why they selected an elite skater 2nd overall?

If you pay attention to the game on the walls in the D & Neutral zone there's the usual plays you see from the defense all game. Take the hit chip the puck to the nearest teammate, got a step on the opposing player and you just chip the puck up the wall, go into a puck battle and come out with the puck, etc.

Those are the plays where an elite puck mover along with team chemistry makes a huge difference. If you watch Buium he goes into many of these spots with the play in mind and in 1-2 slick motions the puck is now on a teammate's sick, and that teammate is ready for it in motion...team is off to the races a half step ahead of the other team.

That kind of vision when used properly makes a team faster. Denver was a good team already but I don't think they had the fastest skaters in the league in their top 9. Yet they had a fast, if not the fastest, transition game in the NCAA.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

Buium and Demidov are better skaters than Silayev.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
You know whos not under contract? everyone but Russians in the KHL/MHL.
You know who can refuse to talk to teams because they know they have a league to play in that pays a lot? Russians.

So he dropped because he's Russian. Thanks for coming out.

Some teams will refuse to pick the Russian if all else is equal, we just dont know if thats Chicago or not, so its a factor in our thoughts.
Michkov was such a russian factor that a Russian went before him.

Buium and Demidov are better skaters than Silayev.
I was under the impression that Silayev is a great skater.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Michkov was such a russian factor that a Russian went before him.

I was under the impression that Silayev is a great skater.
lol, yes, a team he was unwilling to play for couldn't draft him in fear of the Russian factor, that they reached on another crappier prospect that may play for them.

Silayev is a great skater, for someone his size.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
lol, yes, a team he was unwilling to play for couldn't draft him in fear of the Russian factor, that they reached on another crappier prospect that may play for them.

Silayev is a great skater, for someone his size.
Michkov has the Russian Factore but Simashev doesnt?

That would lead me to believe that its more of a "Michkov Factor" and not a russian factor.

And is the reason you are saying may? there is no history to suggest he wont.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Michkov has the Russian Factore but Simashev doesnt?

That would lead me to believe that its more of a "Michkov Factor" and not a russian factor.
Both have the Russian factor. Simashev could easily just pull a Nikishin and stay in the KHL for 6+ years. They knew Michkov wasn't coming over to play for them, because he can just stay in the KHL and get paid, so yeah, its a Russian factor. Not sure why you are even arguing as if there isn't one. Brain dead.

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
Silayev doesn't have enough offense imo. I think taking him would be dumb because his ceiling is this year's version of Vlasic. The Hawks already have Vlasic they don't need his clone. Also, there's a really high chance that Silayev is nothing more than a 3rd pairing guy.

Reactions: hawksrule

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Nikishin was a 3rd round pick who didn't really take off until D+3. He signed the contract with SKA in 2022 before he really took off. You can't just say everything is a Russian factor. There is a factor there for sure, but its not a one size fits all.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Nikishin was a 3rd round pick who didn't really take off until D+3. He signed the contract with SKA in 2022 before he really took off. You can't just say everything is a Russian factor. There is a factor there for sure, but its not a one size fits all.
If he wasn't in the KHL, he would have been in the Hurricanes system by now, and probably playing NHL games right now.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
If he wasn't in the KHL, he would have been in the Hurricanes system by now, and probably playing NHL games right now.
Yeah, I agree, but my point is he signed the extension before he was a really good KHLer and knew he was NA bound. He was a third round pick.

There are stark differences between a Top 10 pick and a 3rd/5th round guy who blows up and already has an extension for years. Michkov and Demidov level prospects are different.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Both have the Russian factor. Simashev could easily just pull a Nikishin and stay in the KHL for 6+ years. They knew Michkov wasn't coming over to play for them, because he can just stay in the KHL and get paid, so yeah, its a Russian factor. Not sure why you are even arguing as if there isn't one. Brain dead.
Its wildly overblown. NIkishin was a 3rd round pick who got much much better since the draft and signed a contract in that time he is going to honor.

The NCAA factor has been just as big. Its just some specific players using leverage when they have it.
Fox Vesey Hayes Wheeler.

Reactions: ClydeLee

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Yeah, I agree, but my point is he signed the extension before he was a really good KHLer and knew he was NA bound. He was a third round pick.

There are stark differences between a Top 10 pick and a 3rd/5th round guy who blows up and already has an extension for years. Michkov and Demidov level prospects are different.
And my point is, teams would rather have guys in their control from the beginning, not 5+ years after they are drafted. So some teams will take the gamble, and take them, other teams wont. The KHL is a back up plan for these guys, if they don't like the team, the position they may be in (AHL vs NHL), or if they dont get the money they want, they'll stay over seas until they do.

Its wildly overblown. NIkishin was a 3rd round pick who got much much better since the draft and signed a contract in that time he is going to honor.

The NCAA factor has been just as big. Its just some specific players using leverage when they have it.
Fox Vesey Hayes Wheeler.
But its not, teams have literally passed on KHL players who are better prospects for lesser prospects playing in other leagues.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
The Blackhawks have the second pick in the draft, and Ivan Demidov is one of the players who could go early. What do you know about him? I think you played against him some in the MHL.

Unfortunately, there are some circumstances with St. Petersburg SKA. I would say they’re creating some hurdles for him to come to the NHL and to be selected in the draft. So hopefully it’s all going to be resolved and he get his chance to play in NHL. But he has another year of playing for SKA, and hopefully after that, they will let him come to the NHL and he gets his chance to play in the NHL because he’s a brilliant player on the ice.

via Scott Powers article today from Kantserov through an interpreter.

And my point is, teams would rather have guys in their control from the beginning, not 5+ years after they are drafted. So some teams will take the gamble, and take them, other teams wont. The KHL is a back up plan for these guys, if they don't like the team, the position they may be in (AHL vs NHL), or if they dont get the money they want, they'll stay over seas until they do.
Find a high pick that was really good at a young age that teams had to wait 5 years for, it doesn't happen.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Silayev doesn't have enough offense imo. I think taking him would be dumb because his ceiling is this year's version of Vlasic. The Hawks already have Vlasic they don't need his clone. Also, there's a really high chance that Silayev is nothing more than a 3rd pairing guy.
Can't put a ceiling on Silayev

• Haha
Reactions: Malaka and Giovi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad