Who should the Chicago Blackhawks select 2nd overall in the 2024 NHL Entry Draft?

Who do the Chicago Blackhawks select 2nd overall?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
He's 17 and had one of the better offensive seasons as a defenseman for a player his age. Would I pick him? No, but his ceiling is ridiculous. Arguably the highest in the draft.
He barely did anything offensively the 2nd half of the season.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
He barely did anything offensively the 2nd half of the season.
He's 6'7". He was 17 the whole season.

He's not even going to fully grow into his body for another 5 years.

It's laughable to suggest this is even close to his final form.

Also he's being coached to focus more on learning the defensive shutdown side of the game. That's what they want him doing in the KHL. He's excelling in his role.

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
He's 6'7". He was 17 the whole season.

He's not even going to fully grow into his body for another 5 years.

It's laughable to suggest this is even close to his final form.

Also he's being coached to focus more on learning the defensive shutdown side of the game. That's what they want him doing in the KHL. He's excelling in his role.
I'm sorry, I don't trust players that have no track record of offensive production.
I know you think NHLe sucks, but I think it's a useful tool.

I don't agree with you on the ceiling of Silayev, and I think whoever chooses him will be greatly disappointed. I think he'll be an NHL player, but not a top pairing one.

Last edited:

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I'm sorry, I don't trust players that have no track record of offensive production.
I know you think NHLe sucks, but I think it's a useful tool.

I don't agree with you on the ceiling of Silayev, and I think whoever chooses him will be greatly disappointed. I think he'll be an NHL player, but not a top pairing one.
I guess breaking the 17 year old scoring record in the KHL doesn't count as a track record these days

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I guess breaking the 17 year old scoring record in the KHL doesn't count as a track record these days
But you're always saying the league isn't what is was... that creates a whole different context. What was league scoring this past year compared to the past? What is the talent level of the league now

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
But you're always saying the league isn't what is was... that creates a whole different context. What was league scoring this past year compared to the past? What is the talent level of the league now
I still stand by that.

I'm just arguing that it's dumb to say he has no offensive potential at all. He obviously does.

I'm also not saying he's a 50 point player in the NHL either.

But if he's roughly in that 30-40 range while being the league's premier shutdown defender? That's elite. Especially come playoff time.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
You can find those guys in the late 1st/2nd round.
If you're lucky sure.

If you can identify and draft them much early, why wouldn't you?

You're acting as if it's easy to just draft a Slavin or Josi. Most of the league's top defensemen come from the 1st round.

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
You can find those guys in the late 1st/2nd round.
This.

I still stand by that.

I'm just arguing that it's dumb to say he has no offensive potential at all. He obviously does.

I'm also not saying he's a 50 point player in the NHL either.

But if he's roughly in that 30-40 range while being the league's premier shutdown defender? That's elite. Especially come playoff time.
I don't want to spend a top 5 pick on a D without 50 pt potential.

You pick a D in the top 5 you want their ceiling to be a Keith/Doughty/Hedman type.

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
He has no ceiling.

I'm giving conservative estimates when I say 30-40.

You're the one capping his potential.

Sky's the limit as far as I'm concerned.
He scored 11 pts in 63 games as a 17 year old in the KHL.

Where is the offensive potential you speak of?

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
He scored 11 pts in 63 games as a 17 year old in the KHL.

Where is the offensive potential you speak of?
That's head and shoulder above any other D in the draft playing pro hockey.

You're too shortsighted if you believe this is the final form for a 6'7" 17 year old.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
He has no ceiling.

I'm giving conservative estimates when I say 30-40.

You're the one capping his potential.

Sky's the limit as far as I'm concerned.
Using a top 5 pick on a D that more likely than not caps out around 40-50 points a season, is a braindead waste of a valuable asset.

You don't go D in the top 5 right now unless the guy is a lock to put up 70+ most seasons, IMO. Especially when you consider that most those D that are putting up points like that... aren't going to be better than maybe average on the defensive side.

So an average defender who scores 40-60 points most seasons... or a top 6 forward who puts up 80+ every season? Kind of a no-brainer. Especially for a team that is severely lacking in offensive power and points production like the Hawks are.

Reactions: belfour30

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Here's a video for those that think Iginla isn't worth taking 2nd overall

It's only 9 minutes so even you statwatchers and highlight reel viewers should be able to stomach it

Reactions: Malaka

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
If you're lucky sure.

If you can identify and draft them much early, why wouldn't you?

You're acting as if it's easy to just draft a Slavin or Josi. Most of the league's top defensemen come from the 1st round.
No one said its easy. But I'd rather take a chance on a guy who has high offensive ceiling high in the 1st round vs. a guy with limited offensive ability. Silayev isnt going to be Josi. If you want to take a guy like Silayev with the 20th pick, then sure.

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
Using a top 5 pick on a D that more likely than not caps out around 40-50 points a season, is a braindead waste of a valuable asset.

You don't go D in the top 5 right now unless the guy is a lock to put up 70+ most seasons, IMO. Especially when you consider that most those D that are putting up points like that... aren't going to be better than maybe average on the defensive side.

So an average defender who scores 40-60 points most seasons... or a top 6 forward who puts up 80+ every season? Kind of a no-brainer. Especially for a team that is severely lacking in offensive power and points production like the Hawks are.
EDIT: I guess I'm still living in the 2010s with scoring. It's way higher now.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Just stepping in for a brief moment to say please leave Silayev alone...Ducks will happily take him at 3OA! I'll see myself out now :)

MicronMega

Jan 31, 2022
Toronto, NY
Depending on which way things go for the Hawks I would go:

Demidov
Jirecek
or
Levshunov
Sennecke

throw in Chernyshov or Artamonov at 34 and that makes for a solid draft with 4 more picks in the top 72. Wouldn't mind taking a stab at Bednarik or Ziemer at 54 and maybe Saarinen in late 3rd

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Depending on which way things go for the Hawks I would go:

Demidov
Jirecek
or
Levshunov
Sennecke

throw in Chernyshov or Artamonov at 34 and that makes for a solid draft with 4 more picks in the top 72. Wouldn't mind taking a stab at Bednarik or Ziemer at 54 and maybe Saarinen in late 3rd
You're not getting Sennecke at 20.

He's getting consideration at 5th overall.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Jesus Christ I forgot how annoying Musto is leading up to the draft. This is going to be an exhausting month.
It'd be a pretty dull lead up to the draft if everyone held hands and talked about their shared love for Ivan Demidov

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad