Injury Report: Will Gaborik retire if he gets bad news in L.A.?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Just because surgery went well doesn't mean he will respond the way he wants when he starts training.

Backs are a big deal
Herniated disc ... don't know the severity or the procedure ... so hard to say how much it will impact him.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Herniated disc ... don't know the severity or the procedure ... so hard to say how much it will impact him.

Yeah I think we are saying the same thing. We don't have enough information to make laymans guesses.

I mean that they say he can resume training in 8 weeks means they think it's corrected or not that bad, it's also possible they believe that and his recovery doesn't go as planned.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I would be ok with Gabby coming back. He's likely a HOF player, and that's always good to have around the kids. I do want to replace Smith with a player who is actual good at playing the role that Smith is supposed to play, and Burrows will likely be on the team for the year, at least until the TDL. Hopefully he can come back next year fired up to earn a last contract (from another team).

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
I would be ok with Gabby coming back. He's likely a HOF player, and that's always good to have around the kids. I do want to replace Smith with a player who is actual good at playing the role that Smith is supposed to play, and Burrows will likely be on the team for the year, at least until the TDL. Hopefully he can come back next year fired up to earn a last contract (from another team).
Ya it's not the end of the world. He'll probably still put up a 20 goal pace, and we'll still save a good chunk of his salary if he's injured now and then.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
A close friend of mine had that same procedure. Mind you, he was in his mid 20s at the time. He was full into sports (not professional but still), and resumed playing hockey, golf, tennis, etc. on a regular basis without a problem.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011

I'd be shocked if he made the HOF.

Reactions: The Lewler

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands

I really don't know about that. He's really a mixed bag.

String of good to elite play from 2002-2011, flashes of dominance.
7 x 30+ goal seasons including 3 x 40 goals.
No individual awards except the cup in 2013-2014.

Low end HOF numbers at 1035GP with 400 G 400 A

I mean its not a totally implausible case.. but it's far far far from a sure thing.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

Very unlikely Burrows is back next season. Same with Gaborik, and to a lesser extent Smith. When I think about it, we probably hang on to Smith until next deadline or next summer since Duchene and EK’s contracts don’t expire until then.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
It’s almost like they traded for him knowing that insurance would be paying most of his salary...

Insurname is only paying like 60(ish) percent of his salary.

The policy apparently covers 80% after the first 20 games missed. Sens are responsible for 100% of his salary those first 20 games, then insurance takes over. It works out to be about 60% coverage after the math is all done.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

The policy apparently covers 80% after the first 20 games missed. Sens are responsible for 100% of his salary those first 20 games, then insurance takes over. It works out to be about 60% coverage after the math is all done.

Most importantly, it’s 80% all the way of the remaining 2 years of the deal, unless Gaborik is cleared to play but I wouldn’t expect that. The Phaneuf deal with retention was perplexing but now it makes sense. Good « financial deal »

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017

Thanks for the clarification.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad