Winnipeg Jets 2024-25 Coaching Thread

MarkWheeler

Dec 16, 2018
Whoever the hire is, I hope that the org is clear about expectations. For example, "we

to advance to the second round of the playoffs" or "we expect to make the playoffs while integrating these two rookies into the line up"
“We expect to get our two home playoff games, sell some whiteout gear, and call it a year”

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018
I don't understand why everyone thinks they are handing the job to Arniel. The organization is under pressure right now for selling tickets and trying to win back fans, hence the "we're all in" slogan.

The zoom meeting with Berube very well could be the team and Berube setting expectations and seeing if it's a good fit both ways.

They have had great hires in Maurice, and Bones. Why would they dial it in now and give Arniel the job just because he's here? If makes no sense.

Interview the top candidates, understand the system they would be bringing to the team, and determine who the best fit is. I can't see Chevy doing it any other way. Maybe it is Arniel in the end, but he's gotta win the job.
I think Chipman learned his lesson after keeping Maurice around too long. You need to be one step ahead on coaching changes to keep the players engaged. If nothing else, it gives the fans hope which sells tickets.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I think Chipman learned his lesson after keeping Maurice around too long. You need to be one step ahead on coaching changes to keep the players engaged. If nothing else, it gives the fans hope which sells tickets.
Hopefully you are right

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I guess we're an option for Berube if he's going through the interview process. Maybe not Plan A, but who knows

I figured he'd be toronto-bound for sure, but man that must be a tough market to coach in

He could just be using us as a bargaining chip too. Not saying he (or anyone else) is. Just that he could.

I just saw Craig Berube at a hog barn in St Malo... he's says its a lock that he's the next coach of the Jets.

Did he buy a house yet? Or is he building new?

TommyKillian

Dec 12, 2013
Only question that remains is whether they're really going through the process or are just trying to keep the optics up. 🤷‍♂️
I can't imagine True North doing this just for optics. Trying to hire someone is a time-consuming, arduous process that I always hate being involved in. Not to mention it's incredibly disrespectful to interview someone (wasting their time and hope!) simply for the sake of optics. Say what you will about TN, especially regarding their overly conservative approach to building a team and their loyalty to under-performers, but I don't think they'd be disrespectful to job candidates in this way.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I can't imagine True North doing this just for optics. Trying to hire someone is a time-consuming, arduous process that I always hate being involved in. Not to mention it's incredibly disrespectful to interview someone (wasting their time and hope!) simply for the sake of optics. Say what you will about TN, especially regarding their overly conservative approach to building a team and their loyalty to under-performers, but I don't think they'd be disrespectful to job candidates in this way.
also what kind of message does that send to arneil if you are planning on hiring him no matter what

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011

It's not "we're going to bring a bunch of people in and conduct interviews but the job is going to go to Arniel anyway so it's all just for show."

Its "we're going to go through the process and interview all the candidates and find the best person for the job but Scott Arniel has several significant advantages in that regard that the other guys will somehow have to overcome if they are going to get the position."

Things could play out in all sorts of different ways. I mean hell, Arniel could have changed his mind and maybe after being in the org for a couple years he's gone lukewarm to the idea of coaching this team. lol...

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Holy... like one month of waiting isn't going to make any difference - unless Chevy wants to ask the new coach about ufa/roster which I doubt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad