Prospect Info: Zach Benson, LW/C, Wenatchee (WHL), Signed ELC- 2023, 13th Overall

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
Screenshot_2023-06-28-18-59-17-52_1c337646f29875672b5a61192b9010f9.jpg

Reactions: Jeremy2020

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
@Zman5778 he's better than Savoie in everything except skating. Saying that, his edgework is sublime, very Skinnerish. Every time I'd watch the Ice #9 would jump out and that's going back to the midpoint of last season.

People argued with me earlier this year when I said that Benson was the best player on that team

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Some other tidbits from EP's draft preveiw:

This skill is visualized in Brown’s manually tracked data set. Benson’s expected primary assists and slot pass success percentage check in at the 100th percentile, in a sample that includes 700 forwards from this season. In a multi-year data set of over 3000 forwards, his underlying playmaking data is second to only Connor McDavid. You might have heard of him.

Simply put: Benson doesn’t play small. He’s interior-driven as a puck carrier, protective on the first touch, and capable of establishing inside positioning along the walls for retrievals. The contemporary NHL is more about leverage than it is about size, and he’s going to be just the latest example of that dynamic. The same is true of his work in the defensive zone.

The ICE forward is a proactive, intelligent defensive contributor, always occupying the right passing lane, and equipped with a great defensive stick that allows him to steal possession from his opponents

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
@Zman5778 he's better than Savoie in everything except skating. Saying that, his edgework is sublime, very Skinnerish. Every time I'd watch the Ice #9 would jump out and that's going back to the midpoint of last season.

People argued with me earlier this year when I said that Benson was the best player on that team
And except for Bedard, no draft-eligible player scored more points than Benson did last season.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Another bit from BB -

Realistically, the scoring rates off the rush, and the skating are the only average to slightly above average traits he possesses. The rest is not only there but it’s there in spades. He’s an elite competitor who is one of the smartest players in this class. He might not end up on a highlight reel at the same rate as some of these other remarkable prospects, he also might be more injury prone given how he plays and how small he is. Very tricky to rank.

In a lot of viewing, I would be comfortable calling him the best PKer in the WHL this past season.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Sabres strong-arming me into jumping on the bandwagon by pretty much taking all my favourite guys from 2019-on.

Might have to embrace it and stop just lurking. My take on Benson:

Sabres just won the draft. Benson is the smartest player in this class, true 100+ point potential, and is now going to play with a linemate he has incredible chemistry with.

Between Benson-Savoie, Thompson-Tuch, and Peterka-Cozens-Quinn, who the f*** is going to be Buffalo’s first line???

LetsGoBuffalo1126

Nov 17, 2021
I had convinced myself to argue (again, with myself) that the choices were going to be Moore, Perreault, ASP, Barlow, etc. Initially I had really wanted Benson but as the process unfolded it seemed virtually impossible that he'd fall to 13. Once Vancouver was on the clock, I stood up and started to pace all the way until KA said Winnipeg. I may have woken up my children, but it was worth it! What a pick!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad