Management 1 PM May 22nd - Charlie, Cam, Don and Monty address media - NESN

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Wednesday, May 22 at 1 p.m. (TD Garden, Boston, MA)
- End of season press conference with CEO and Alternate Governor Charlie Jacobs, President Cam Neely, General Manager Don Sweeney and Head Coach Jim Montgomery

- Media should enter through back security and proceed to Legends Club on Level 3

- Light refreshments will be provided to the media​

Last edited:

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
Why would Sweeney or Neely get fired? They did their job, full Arena, made playoffs with a roster that was never going to win a cup. This year in the business plan I believe they likely looked at no playoff revenue with the lineup they had out there. So 7 home games of pure revenue was a bonus and they likely got hefty bonuses themselves.

Look the GM and more so the Presidents ultimate goal is to make sure they win a cup, but right next to it is to make the owner a hefty bottom line and as I said they did that.

Next year with salary cap space and the ability to sign players, make trades and improve the club is Sweeney and Neely's judgement year.

Festy1986

Apr 23, 2018
Why would Sweeney or Neely get fired? They did their job, full Arena, made playoffs with a roster that was never going to win a cup. This year in the business plan I believe they likely looked at no playoff revenue with the lineup they had out there. So 7 home games of pure revenue was a bonus and they likely got hefty bonuses themselves.

Look the GM and more so the Presidents ultimate goal is to make sure they win a cup, but right next to it is to make the owner a hefty bottom line and as I said they did that.

Next year with salary cap space and the ability to sign players, make trades and improve the club is Sweeney and Neely's judgement year.

Their job is to win championships.

Reactions: BTO

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Last chance for what? They have to win the cup or you fire him, that what you're saying?

Bruins have been in the playoffs every year lately. Is that failure?
I mean at some point just making the playoffs is definitely a failure. If I told you they'd make it the next 10 years but win no cups how would you feel?

Festy1986

Apr 23, 2018
LOl ok live in fantasy world if you think earning a profit is not as important if not more so.

I'm sure an original 6 in 2024 is struggling to sell merch.

The horror the Jacobs have trying to make money out of this long dead asset!

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Don did inherit the team.

You're going to give him credit for those moves from a Junior position?

No wonder these guys jobs are untouchable. The bar is so f***ing low with the fans.

Yes. It is. Lol

What are we talking about around here?

It's scary to me just how little a lot of fans care about winning the cup as much as they care about losing in the first round year in and out.
The only legit reason to fire him was botching the 2015 draft but he has kept them in the hunt since then. So that is going on 8 years ago.

Reactions: Ladyfan

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Don did inherit the team.

You're going to give him credit for those moves from a Junior position?

No wonder these guys jobs are untouchable. The bar is so f***ing low with the fans.

Yes. It is. Lol

What are we talking about around here?

It's scary to me just how little a lot of fans care about winning the cup as much as they care about losing in the first round year in and out.

Reactions: EverettMike

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I see no evidence to think that Sweeney is the difference between not making the playoffs and making the playoffs.

I do however have 9 full seasons of evidence that he is the difference between a playoff team and a cup team.
Really? Take a look at what happened to Detroit beginning 2016-17.

Boston has TO and never missed the PO.

Sweeney works for an owner who won't rebuild. U wouldn't be the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: nORRis8

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Quit being deliberately obtuse.

If that was the standard there would be 60 ML franchises turning over every year.
Back in the day before all the salary cap rules and such players were loyal to teams. Now with free agency it makes it more difficult to win a cup. In reality you will likely never see a dynasty in hockey like the Habs or Islanders as an example.
It's one hell of a challenge to win one cup even in a decade or two. For some franchises it's maybe never.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Their job is to win championships.
The players are also paid to win championships. They loaded up an already stacked team last year only to lose in the 1st round. Paid the price this year for it, but made some smart moves that kept the team competitive and entertaining. Lost to a better team in the 2nd round in a hard fought series.

This was a bridge year, and I think a good season. Lots to be excited about. Franchise winger, defenseman, and soon to be goalie of the next decade locked up. Encouraging moments from young guys like Poitras and Lohrei. Lots of cap space.

Don and Cam can't get on the ice. I think Don did what he could this year to keep us competitive, while being smart with assets. Players stepped up and outperformed. I have no problem running it back - I think the future is bright and I did not have the same outlook last season. It'll come together.

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
Scumbag. His ghost hangs over TO, the stench yet to be exorcised.

If that ever happens, Daryl Sittler should light the ceremonial match to the effigy.
The leafs were a special kind of crap. The 70's they were building a team that had an incredible future ahead.By the mid 80's they turned into a laughingstock.

McDonald.
Sittler
Keon ("I'll never step into MLG again!")
Turnbull
They all felt the unprofessional wrath of Happy Harold.

Realistically you won't see changes with Don or Cam by the Jacobs.The team would dramatically have to falter. As long as the turnstiles are clicking it's ka-ching in Jacobs pockets.

Last edited:

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
All I can say is that I'm heartily sick of both.

Nothing will change as long as the seats are full and the old man draws a breath.

I think it was @Fenway who once said that Charlie Jacobs really wants another Cup for his parents. Well if that's true Charlie needs to assert himself because here we are back to the old days of win just enough to get that extra gate/concession money from the first round and out.

Like you & several others here I've been through that shit before. I have no desire to go through it again.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Back in the day before all the salary cap rules and such players were loyal to teams. Now with free agency it makes it more difficult to win a cup. In reality you will likely never see a dynasty in hockey like the Habs or Islanders as an example.
It's one hell of a challenge to win one cup even in a decade or two. For some franchises it's maybe never.
Prior to the salary cap, players didn't become UFA until 31. There was no choice but to be loyal

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
You would think JJ & Co. would have learned that from 2011. The team made tons of extra money off of that Cup win. I'll bet they made tons of extra money in 2013 & 2019 too even though they didn't win the Cup.

Over the last decade and a half I have no issues with jacobs. They’ve spent up to the cap on this team consistently.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Neely deserves his share of credit. Just he deserves fair critique for what's happened since. I do think the current regime has grown too comfortable, and probably a little stale. They do a lot right, but also tend to keep doing some of the same things wrong. Reality is they're not going anywhere anytime soon.
In regards to Sweeneys tenure:
IMO if Sweeney was GM in 2007 there's not way he would have built out that team to what it was in 2011. It would've been very different (again JMO). He doesn't seem to value the same things that Chiarelli did back in the day.
We'd be sitting here hearing that we haven't won the Cup (in 52 years) since 1972 and feeling like Leaf fans.

Reactions: Lady Rhian and BMC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad