Management 1 PM May 22nd - Charlie, Cam, Don and Monty address media - NESN

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Wednesday, May 22 at 1 p.m. (TD Garden, Boston, MA)
- End of season press conference with CEO and Alternate Governor Charlie Jacobs, President Cam Neely, General Manager Don Sweeney and Head Coach Jim Montgomery

- Media should enter through back security and proceed to Legends Club on Level 3

- Light refreshments will be provided to the media​

Last edited:

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I've always had the "if you ain't first, you're last" mentality and still feel cups are the ultimate goal, but maybe I'm getting more mature or hardened by years of disappointment. 31 fanbases are going to go home upset every year. If everything was equal just on statistical probability, if we live to 90 we'd find 88 years of them unforgivable failures. In a world where we hire the best front office, in the cap parity era you'd maybe get 7 or 8 if you're lucky over that lifetime (i.e. only 82/83 failures). No way to pass your life.

Plus, I see value in being entertained by a good Saturday night game in November, or constant entertainment every Tuesday/Thursday through the winter.

You want to build to compete for a cup, but completely tanking a couple years when there's no guarantee you ever get out of that cycle (hello Buffalo) could lose you a lot of hockey fans. Management has to balance that short term and long term.

DGS

Jan 21, 2014
Portland, OR
You want to build to compete for a cup, but completely tanking a couple years when there's no guarantee you ever get out of that cycle (hello Buffalo) could lose you a lot of hockey fans. Management has to balance that short term and long term.

^this.

I don't get all this clamoring for a rebuild. In the last 15 seasons, the bruins have been to the finals more times than they have missed the playoffs. It seems to me that having a team that is continually competitive is much more likely to end you up with deep playoff success and occaisionally a cup than taking a HUGE chance on a total scrap of the team. For every story like Chi or Pitt there are numerous BUF and TOR and Edmonton (so far) type sagas that most of us want no part of.

We all know how much luck, magic, etc. it takes to win a cup but building the best team you can EVERY YEAR and getting into the playoffs every year and hoping for all the ducks to line up eventually seems like a far better plan than going to shit and hoping a phoenix rises from the ashes.

Reactions: Alan Ryan

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Bruins had a great season this year. Lunch bucket crew with great goal tending. They achieved quite a bit this year after losing some star power. They do have the basis to be a great team if Sweeney plays his cards right and be back in the race next season. I'm excited to see what changes happen. Also looking forward to how Sweeney handles the draft. They could use a few solid prospects.

Festy1986

Apr 23, 2018
Such entitlement. You think we should be cup contenders every year? Its impossible. Simply believing that doesn’t make you right. Some people enjoy the team and just watching hockey. If you want to believe we should win a cup every year good for you but don’t be coming in here shitting on people who live in reality. Like you know better. Get over yourself

Actually. Just one cup in 9 years would of been fine.

One year in 9 they made it out of round 2 and they fired the coach who accomplished it.

If the coach ran his course than so did the GM.

You know... The guy who hired him.

Such entitlement.

Reactions: BTO and Gordoff

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
prior to the season, I suspected, at best, this was a wild card team, liked the Heinen add, was meh about JVR and Shatty but understood, when you have next to no pesos to work with, this is what you get.

Team exceeded my expectations , got some nice looks at the future with Lohrei, Poitras, Beecher, appreciated the job done by Zacha and Coyle with massive shoes to fill with Bergy/DK`s retirement.

Lots to address though, overall team toughness is numero uno for this fan. this team is good in a fight, weak in a war

I don`t agree with every move Sweeney and Co make but I look around the league at other GM`s and man there are so many worse.

Donny gets a ton of players to sign for reasonable if not under market numbers, one thing you don`t hear when it comes to this franchise is it`s bad to play for.

I don`t really care what any of them have to say, we know what we saw, a one line team who can`t keep up with the big boys as currently constructed. DS went all in the last few years, emptied the cupboard when it comes to picks

I move Ullmark, have 24 mill and spend wisely

Festy1986

Apr 23, 2018
Sway McAvoy marchy carlo pasta lohrei zacha coyle Frederic debrusk ( linus asset) with tons of cap space. I think we pretty ok.

Not a single one of those save Swayman showed up in the playoffs.

You must of seen that.

It's pretty bad when Debrusk middling efforts is considered good but that's how had the rest of them were.

Reactions: BTO

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

You must of seen that.

It's pretty bad when Debrusk middling efforts is considered good but that's how had the rest of them were.

The problem with casting yourself as just having high expectations for the team is you lose credibility if you push it too far.

From the list given, apart from Sway, Carlo was outstanding in the playoffs, Lohrei did all you could have hoped for as a rookie, Marchand and Frederic were very good against the Leafs then faded out in the Panthers series. DeBrusk was more than 'middling'.

Were some guys underwhelming or outright bad? Sure. But it's silly to pretend that everyone was.

Festy1986

Apr 23, 2018
Must be nice to have all the answers. You are a genius! Grace your knowledge on us oh mighty one

Dude. Capitulate the point that sweeny had his crack. Otherwise move on. You're not going to convince me that he's earned his job year over end.

I'm not out here telling anyone they're wrong that Sweeny deserves to stay. I'm simply responding to those who fill my inbox with disagreement.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Dude. Capitulate the point that sweeny had his crack. Otherwise move on. You're not going to convince me that he's earned his job year over end.

I'm not out here telling anyone they're wrong that Sweeny deserves to stay. I'm simply responding to those who fill my inbox with disagreement.

Enough.

IMG_1029.gif

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I'd say Buffalo fans will be really annoyed by that :)

You never know who can win the cup though. Look at this year. Vegas-Dallas. That series was pretty much dead even and was won by a bounce here or there. Vegas was out in the first round but I guarantee you had they played Vancouver or Edmonton they'd still be playing and maybe win the cup. Dallas is a favorite now but the margin between winning and losing is really small.
We score on that second breakaway and maybe we play Florida game 7. As we've said a million times Marchand scores at the end of game 5 last year and maybe we win the cup last year. It's just that close.

We paid the price this year for the Bergeron-Krejci run last year. Can this current roster as is win the cup? Probably not. Can this roster with a few additions and one or two rookies stepping up win the cup? Absolutely it can.

The off season for me determines my stand on Sweeney. If this team is better on paper come next October or not. If he fails in this off season I will probably join you in the time for a change camp, but not before. We are close enough to keep trying and with the culture they've built here I am quite optimistic.
For what it's worth I'm not in the time for a change camp just yet - I'm in the same boat as you, what Sweeney does with all that available money this offseason will decide where I fall as well.

But just saying at some point making the playoffs is not a good enough job for me, haven't reached there quite yet.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
For what it's worth I'm not in the time for a change camp just yet - I'm in the same boat as you, what Sweeney does with all that available money this offseason will decide where I fall as well.

But just saying at some point making the playoffs is not a good enough job for me, haven't reached there quite yet.
And this should be ok. Sweeney is the reason many of these guys are here and I would like to see him see it through, They made a cup in 19 and won three rounds the next five years. I saw alot of the "one team wins the cup" last year and then "team went further than anyone expected" this year. I think it's ok to say they have underachieved at times. Bottom line you need to win when you're game 7 home ice in the SCF and when you are the best regular season team that has ever played the game. I don't think it's wrong to say that and have expected more. The Bruins have a series win rate of 60% when they are the better seed and 20% when they are a lower seed and neither seems anything special.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

You must of seen that.

Not that the Bruins will be anything close but you know who used to be known as the biggest chokers in the league mid to late 70's?? the New York Islanders. Sometimes everyone goes cold at the same time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad