2023-24 Frank J. Selke Trophy finalists: Aleksander Barkov, Auston Matthews, Jordan Staal | Winner: Aleksander Barkov

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
It is.

His underlying numbers have never been augmented by having a great goaltender either.

The common thing between Kopitar, Bergeron, Barkov:

Vezina winning goalies.
Jonathan Quick never won a Vezina.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
GD62D75XcAEyCOK.jpg
Top 10 Selke profile looks like this.

At some point, they should just stop pretending that Selke is for defense and just make it a trophy for the best offensive forward instead.
I'd say more a trophy for guy everyone really likes but isn't quite good enough to compete for the good ones

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
A lot of people getting their back up about his nomination purely because of who he is and really showing they don’t know much about Matthews defensive game.

Auston as a finalist is fully deserved but Barkov was without question the right choice to have won.

As with most awards in most years, there’s always a couple other guys that could have maybe deserved to be there too. This is how it goes

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
A lot of people getting their back up about his nomination purely because of who he is and really showing they don’t know much about Matthews defensive game.
It’s a little bit about annoying leafs fans getting more desperate about the greatest season of all time. He wasn’t even a Hart finalist, he gets a few access Selke votes as an apology and now all of a sudden he ‘plays selke level defense’ despite not even coming close to winning.
Auston as a finalist is fully deserved but Barkov was without question the right choice to have won.

As with most awards in most years, there’s always a couple other guys that could have maybe deserved to be there too. This is how it goes
What does this even mean? Nobody really deserved to win it over Barkov, so I don’t think voters cared too much about carefully selecting the runner ups. This award has always had random people getting votes in an attempt for media members to gain access. Now all of a sudden when Matthews gets a couple of those votes, it means something.

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
Toronto as late as April, was within 4 points of home ice advantage in the 1st round of the playoffs.
The main reason they were in the same stratosphere as Florida and Boston was the unbelievable 2 way play from Auston.
Really? I thought it was because outside of the division winners the middle of the east was wide open. I also think it had a little more to do with his 69 goals then his ‘two way play’
Marner missed 20 games this year
That’s…not that much.
and Nylander started off line the Flash, and right around the time he signed his ludicrous extension, he disappeared
You mean right when the leafs were gearing for their playoff form right?! I kid. Nylander had 98 points on the season, hardly disappearing.
For a line that never had any semblance of consistency, the 1st line of the Leafs absolutely dominated all year long.
It had consistency for 70% of the season. Was the line really that dominant? I think it was a top scoring line because it had top scorers on it, but dominated?
Matthews and Marner played together for 55 games or so, and they had 7 or 8 different players on the Left Wing.
Again, that’s a lot of games together. They had a handful of consistent players while they figured out chemistry. Sounds like your coach actually coached this year, must be a new thing for leafs fans because every team goes through this at some point.
Then, when Marner got injured, Max Domi and Tyler Bertuzzi were moved to the 1st line and it just continued to dominate at both ends of the ice.
Continued to dominate at both ends of the ice? Relative to what? It’s pretty obvious that Barkov’s line dominated both ends of the ice this season.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
It’s a little bit about annoying leafs fans getting more desperate about the greatest season of all time. He wasn’t even a Hart finalist, he gets a few access Selke votes as an apology and now all of a sudden he ‘plays selke level defense’ despite not even coming close to winning.

What does this even mean? Nobody really deserved to win it over Barkov, so I don’t think voters cared too much about carefully selecting the runner ups. This award has always had random people getting votes in an attempt for media members to gain access. Now all of a sudden when Matthews gets a couple of those votes, it means something.

Jesus Christ dude, nobody thinks it’s the greatest season of all time. He wasn’t a Hart finalist because at least 4 players this year had spectacular seasons, he was the odd man out, he did get a finalist spot for the Ted Lindsay where McDavid was the odd man out. This shit happens. In no way was his Selke votes an apology for leaving him out of Hart.

My comment was pretty straight forward, every year for every award there are other guys who could have been finalists that miss the cut and people get mad about

Your assertion that the voters didn’t care and basically just threw away their votes after Barkov is based on nothing and frankly ridiculous.

Being a finalist for an award has always meant something. Cope harder.

Last edited:

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
Jesus Christ dude, nobody thinks it’s the greatest season of all time.
When have we seen a player score 69 or more goals and lead the league in goals by a wide margin while having Selke level defense? It hasn't happened, which is why its one of the greatest seasons of all time.

There, I am glad I could be the first person to tell you that.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
When have we seen a player score 69 or more goals and lead the league in goals by a wide margin while having Selke level defense? It hasn't happened, which is why its one of the greatest seasons of all time.

He was amazing at scoring goals, but he also lost the Art Ross by 37 points. Even with a strong Selke finish, it's not one of the greatest seasons of all-time.

One of the greatest goal-scoring seasons? Absolutely.

Reactions: BraveCanadian

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016

Nope.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Who started the trend of calling Barkov Sasha ? There has been lots of Aleksander's in the league and how many were called "Sasha" ? I dont recall any.

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021
Good for Barkov. He deserves it.

I thought Leafs media would steal this for Matthews like that Hart he won.

It's super annoying because one day he'll win a Selke simply because the Toronto media will cry that he's owed one for all those years they lobbied for him and he didn't win.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Really? I thought it was because outside of the division winners the middle of the east was wide open. I also think it had a little more to do with his 69 goals then his ‘two way play’

You mean right when the leafs were gearing for their playoff form right?! I kid. Nylander had 98 points on the season, hardly disappearing.

Nylander signed his contract extension January 8th.

The production before and after that date is remarkably different.

GpGAPts+/-
October through Jan 8
Team3747
Matthews 36301545+7
Marner37152540+4
Nylander 37213354+5
Tavares37122234+4
Bertuzzi3661218+7
Domi37319220
Jan 8 to End of Season
Team4555
Matthews45392362+24
Marner32113445+17
Nylander45192544-4
Tavares43171431-2
Bertuzzi43151025-5
Domi4361925+10

If you don't see a major difference in production from before to after the contract signing, then I don't know what to say.

What this breakdown illustrates, is that when Marner went down to injury, and Nylander slowed down significantly (as did Tavares), Matthews stepped up to carry the team.

It wasn't Domi or Bertuzzi doing any of the heavy lifting.

Despite the slowing down of Nylander, Tavares, and even Marner slightly, and despite Marner being out for weeks, Toronto barely saw a downturn in their team performance buoyed by someone scoring almost a goal per game and being +24 over the last 45 games of the year.

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
Nylander signed his contract extension January 8th.

The production before and after that date is remarkably different.

GpGAPts+/-
October through Jan 8
Team3747
Matthews36301545+7
Marner37152540+4
Nylander37213354+5
Tavares37122234+4
Bertuzzi3661218+7
Domi37319220
Jan 8 to End of Season
Team4555
Matthews45392362+24
Marner32113445+17
Nylander45192544-4
Tavares43171431-2
Bertuzzi43151025-5
Domi4361925+10

If you don't see a major difference in production from before to after the contract signing, then I don't know what to say.

What this breakdown illustrates, is that when Marner went down to injury, and Nylander slowed down significantly (as did Tavares), Matthews stepped up to carry the team.

It wasn't Domi or Bertuzzi doing any of the heavy lifting.

Despite the slowing down of Nylander, Tavares, and even Marner slightly, and despite Marner being out for weeks, Toronto barely saw a downturn in their team performance buoyed by someone scoring almost a goal per game and being +24 over the last 45 games of the year.
Nylander scored at similar pace all season. Even your chart seems to agree.

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
1.49 and 0.97 points per game is similar pace?
His .97 points per game is a similar pace to his career average. Should have made that more clear. Saying he disappeared isn’t accurate, as he just went back to scoring at a similar pace as he has his whole career.

So if Matthews ‘carried Nylander’ the 2nd half of the season, then I suppose he’s been doing it Nylander’s whole career and y’all don’t have a very high opinion of him.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
His .97 points per game is a similar pace to his career average. Should have made that more clear. Saying he disappeared isn’t accurate, as he just went back to scoring at a similar pace as he has his whole career.

So if Matthews ‘carried Nylander’ the 2nd half of the season, then I suppose he’s been doing it Nylander’s whole career and y’all don’t have a very high opinion of him.

You can't make both of these arguments in good faith:

"Nylander had 98 points on the season, hardly disappearing "

And:

"His .97 points per game is a similar pace to his career average"

Especially considering the drop off from 1.46 ppg to .97.

As for whether I have a high opinion of Nylander. He is a very good offensive player who has the tools to be a top 10 offensive player in the league.

He is comfortably the 2nd most individually skilled and gifted player on his team, with better skating, passing than Matthews, and a much better shot and physical ability than Marner.

And yet, he is 3rd fiddle to those 2 guys year in, and year out despite being older.

Why?

Because he doesn't think the game at the same level as the other 2.
That mental incapacity limits his ability to utilize others effectively, and his poor judgment is at times a hindrance.

Also the phobia of helping out defensively or to take and deliver hits is incredibly infuriating, not to mention how much of a liability it makes him outside of the attacking phase of the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad