Speculation: 2023-24 Free Agency/Trade Thread II

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
What are you spending the money on instead? We waste so much spendable cap space every year by not using it.

Team has too many needs for it to be worthwhile. Apart from signing the RFAs the team needs a high level RHD (much more than a Stamkos type as far as I’m concerned) and the bottom 6 also needs to be completely reworked. I also am not a fan of having a guy on a team like this making that much money for the likely effect it will have on our top young players when they are due for new contracts and will point to us giving a guy like Stammer 10 million. I also don’t think he’ll be nearly as productive on this team as some people do, I’m thinking he’d be more of a 70-75 point guy, not the PPG+ player he was in his prime

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Team has too many needs for it to be worthwhile. Apart from signing the RFAs the team needs a high level RHD (much more than a Stamkos type as far as I’m concerned) and the bottom 6 also needs to be completely reworked. I also am not a fan of having a guy on a team like this making that much money for the likely effect it will have on our top young players when they are due for new contracts and will point to us giving a guy like Stammer 10 million. I also don’t think he’ll be nearly as productive on this team as some people do, I’m thinking he’d be more of a 70-75 point guy, not the PPG+ player he was in his prime
How does stamkos making $10 million for 2-3 years affect any of those things?

The only reason I would be against it is if we do indeed have an internal cap. If that's the case, verbeek wouldn't be dumb enough to waste it one guy.

Reactions: DavidBL

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
The only reason I would be against it is if we do indeed have an internal cap. If that's the case, verbeek wouldn't be dumb enough to waste it one guy.
He has said before that he is working with a budget now but doesn’t anticipate spending limitations when the team is winning

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
TB has been to the playoffs in 10 of the last 11 years. Why would Stamkos want to spend the last 2-3 years of his career most likely out of the playoffs? I can't think of a single reason why he would want to come here at this stage of his career...including money.

Reactions: Dr Johnny Fever

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I believe Tampa will attempt to sign Stamkos on a team friendly contract and have him retire there. But after trading for McDonagh they barely have enough money to fill their roster with near minimum salaries.

Maybe Verbeek looks into a trade, with the Lightning likely needing to trade either Cernak or Cirelli. Cirelli is left shooting so we probably would be interested in Cernak. He is only 26, but injuries are already starting to take a toll and he has another 5 years remaining at 5.2M, so I think the ask couldn’t be very high. Would we be willing to trade Lacombe for him straight up? Verbeek would likely bend over a bid and include a future 2nd round pick. Or would it be better value to target and overpay guys like Zadorov or Desharnais (if they are willing to even play in Anaheim)?

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I believe Tampa will attempt to sign Stamkos on a team friendly contract and have him retire there. But after trading for McDonagh they barely have enough money to fill their roster with near minimum salaries.

Maybe Verbeek looks into a trade, with the Lightning likely needing to trade either Cernak or Cirelli. Cirelli is left shooting so we probably would be interested in Cernak. He is only 26, but injuries are already starting to take a toll and he has another 5 years remaining at 5.2M, so I think the ask couldn’t be very high. Would we be willing to trade Lacombe for him straight up? Verbeek would likely bend over a bid and include a future 2nd round pick. Or would it be better value to target and overpay guys like Zadorov or Desharnais (if they are willing to even play in Anaheim)?
The bolded part alone would be enough to justify PV not wanting Cernak.

Reactions: Dr Johnny Fever

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
We have $33mil to spend. That would buy an incredible bottom 6 and RD and still have money left over.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
TB has been to the playoffs in 10 of the last 11 years. Why would Stamkos want to spend the last 2-3 years of his career most likely out of the playoffs? I can't think of a single reason why he would want to come here at this stage of his career...including money.
Well hes won the cup 2 times already.. Why did killhorn come? He could have stayed.. We just gotta wait and see.. Maybe he decides to go another contender? But since Verbeek said he wants a top 6 right handed shot.. And Killhorn Said if Tampa does not sign him hes bringing him here.. Than all points on him signing here.. Plus I truly believe with a healthy lineup we area playoff team... They cant be bottom dwellers again.. Otherwise heads need to roll

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
On the main board @Zegs2sendhelp and I were discussing the value of an extended Rantanen to Anaheim and I wanted to see what the Ducks board’s general sentiment would be on a trade like this.

Rantanen (27) has one year left at $9.25m. He’s coming off his second straight 100 point season. He would likely be looking for an extension in the range of $11.5-13m just given comparables in Nylander (8x$11.5m) and Pasternak (8x$11.25m).

The value discussion was in the lines of the following:
Zegras or McTavish
3rd overall or Terry
Lacombe
Clara

What are Duck’s fans thoughts?
That feels like way too much to me and we would be trading guys in the right age range for an older guy that doesn’t quite match. Zero interest in that. If you asked about Terry and the 3rd I’d be somewhat interested I just don’t think we are good trade partners with the Avs in won now mode and us trying to build a core with a 10 year runway, this trade goes against that.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Well hes won the cup 2 times already.. Why did killhorn come? He could have stayed.. We just gotta wait and see.. Maybe he decides to go another contender? But since Verbeek said he wants a top 6 right handed shot.. And Killhorn Said if Tampa does not sign him hes bringing him here.. Than all points on him signing here.. Plus I truly believe with a healthy lineup we area playoff team... They cant be bottom dwellers again.. Otherwise heads need to roll
Because his AAV went from 4.45M to 6.25M, at the age of 33. He was significantly overpaid.

Like I said, he will want a Cup or Money.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Dailyfaceoff posted their top 75 UFAs and contract projections. The only overpay I'd like would be adding big Z to join Gudas to form a physical duo with personality. Projections look reasonable for these other players that I think would be good fits, but I'm sure a few will get overpayments.

RankPlayerPosAgeTeamCap HitGPGPTSAFP Projection
12​
Nikita ZadorovLD
29​
VAN$3.75M
75​
6​
20​
5 x $5.3M
22​
Jalen ChatfieldRD
28​
CAR$763K
72​
8​
22​
4 x $3.65M
27​
Dakota JoshuaLW
28​
VAN$825K
63​
18​
32​
4 x $3.25M
40​
Brenden DillonLD
34​
WPG$3.9M
77​
8​
20​
2 x $2.9M
45​
Stefan NoesenRW
31​
CAR$763K
81​
14​
37​
3 x $3.2M
54​
Vincent DesharnaisRD
28​
EDM$763K
78​
1​
11​
1 x $1.1M
61​
Jani HaakanpaaRD
32​
DAL$1.5M
64​
2​
12​
1 x $1.5M
71​
Joel EdmundsonLD
31​
TOR$3.5M
53​
1​
6​
2 x $1.65M

I'm surprised that Lafferty was left off that list. I can see us going for him because he is a right-shooting, fast, physical, can win faceoffs, and can play all forward spots.

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
Dailyfaceoff posted their top 75 UFAs and contract projections. The only overpay I'd like would be adding big Z to join Gudas to form a physical duo with personality. Projections look reasonable for these other players that I think would be good fits, but I'm sure a few will get overpayments.

12​
Nikita ZadorovLD
29​
VAN$3.75M
75​
6​
20​
5 x $5.3M
22​
Jalen ChatfieldRD
28​
CAR$763K
72​
8​
22​
4 x $3.65M
27​
Dakota JoshuaLW
28​
VAN$825K
63​
18​
32​
4 x $3.25M
40​
Brenden DillonLD
34​
WPG$3.9M
77​
8​
20​
2 x $2.9M
45​
Stefan NoesenRW
31​
CAR$763K
81​
14​
37​
3 x $3.2M
54​
Vincent DesharnaisRD
28​
EDM$763K
78​
1​
11​
1 x $1.1M
61​
Jani HaakanpaaRD
32​
DAL$1.5M
64​
2​
12​
1 x $1.5M
71​
Joel EdmundsonLD
31​
TOR$3.5M
53​
1​
6​
2 x $1.65M

I'm surprised that Lafferty was left off that list. I can see us going for him because he is a right-shooting, fast, physical, can win faceoffs, and can play all forward spots.
They had Stamkos at 3x6.13 million. Roy for 5x5.8

those are no brainers if you are Anaheim. Even at 1.5 million extra in overpayment for each guy. Stamkos for under 7? Yes, please

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
They had Stamkos at 3x6.13 million. Roy for 5x5.8

those are no brainers if you are Anaheim. Even at 1.5 million extra in overpayment for each guy. Stamkos for under 7? Yes, please
I still can't see Tampa not attempt to resign Stamkos after clearing some cap space. And for Roy's contract projection, I'd prefer to roll the dice on a cheaper less-known in Chatfield if he can really be signed for a year and a few million bones less. Especially if we end up drafting a RHD like a Levshunov who is projected to go pro within a year... I'd prefer our Ducks have more contract flexibility.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
Killer even commented on Spittin' Chiclets about how Anaheim gave him "a deal that no other team would give" or something to that effect.
giphy.gif

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

12​
Nikita ZadorovLD
29​
VAN$3.75M
75​
6​
20​
5 x $5.3M
22​
Jalen ChatfieldRD
28​
CAR$763K
72​
8​
22​
4 x $3.65M
27​
Dakota JoshuaLW
28​
VAN$825K
63​
18​
32​
4 x $3.25M
40​
Brenden DillonLD
34​
WPG$3.9M
77​
8​
20​
2 x $2.9M
45​
Stefan NoesenRW
31​
CAR$763K
81​
14​
37​
3 x $3.2M
54​
Vincent DesharnaisRD
28​
EDM$763K
78​
1​
11​
1 x $1.1M
61​
Jani HaakanpaaRD
32​
DAL$1.5M
64​
2​
12​
1 x $1.5M
71​
Joel EdmundsonLD
31​
TOR$3.5M
53​
1​
6​
2 x $1.65M

If these prices were accurate...
Roy or Pesce are no brainers. Getting one of those guys for 5 years would be huge.
Stamkos and Marchessault are both no brainers for 3 years. I would rather overpay and get one of them on 2 year deals, but I would gladly take those contracts.
Also Hawk for 1x1.5 for the 3rd pairing... Yes please.

That would completely change the team.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Mintyukov - Roy
Zellweger - Gudas
Lacombe - Haakanpa - Lindstrom

AHL vet - Luneau
AHL vet - Helleson
Dionicio? - Smith - Warren

That's a blueline that could get a team to the playoffs if the special teams are fixed.

Reactions: ff8

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Mintyukov - Roy
Zellweger - Gudas

AHL vet - Luneau
AHL vet - Helleson

That's a blueline that could get a team to the playoffs if the special teams are fixed.
Ya maybe move fowler+ to New Jersey for holtz + 10th overall

Reactions: DuckRogers10

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
If these prices were accurate...
Roy or Pesce are no brainers. Getting one of those guys for 5 years would be huge.
Stamkos and Marchessault are both no brainers for 3 years. I would rather overpay and get one of them on 2 year deals, but I would gladly take those contracts.
Also Hawk for 1x1.5 for the 3rd pairing... Yes please.

That would completely change the team.
I really don't think Marchessault or Stamkos are leaving. They are on contenders in a state that has lower taxes and lower cost of living... why move their families somewhere else? They are performing great and are leaders on their team.... so why would their teams not even offer something decent?

Pesce is worrisome because he had one of his worst seasons and is going to be 30... signing him to a 5-6 year deal doesn't look good to me. If he was turning 27 then it would be worth the shot. Plus watching the playoffs I want another bully back there, like a Zadorov or at least a cheap version like Dillon, Haak, Desharnais or Edmundson... shoot why not two of them for those listed prices... we can overpay over most teams. Let our skill defensemen worry more about offensive production establish a semblance of a team versus worrying about responding to physical play.

Ya maybe move fowler+ to New Jersey for holtz + 10th overall
Haha, I that would be an amazing haul to move on from Cam. Can we throw-in Gibson for free in the package?

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
Mintyukov - Roy
Zellweger - Gudas

AHL vet - Luneau
AHL vet - Helleson

You have much higher hopes than I do.

I am confident he'll get there eventually but I am doubtful that Mintyukov will go from mostly sheltered 2nd/3rd pairing minutes to leading a team's blue line to the playoffs in one off-season. I also don't see Zellweger holding the 2nd pairing next season.

Not to mention that Roy wasn't even a top pairing defenseman on a team that got smoked in the first round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad