Speculation: 2023-24 Sharks Roster Discussion

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Petro last year was absolutely not the same guy that won the Cup in 2019 but Vegas had the depth to make up for that
No but he was still a pretty clear #1 and Vegas wasn't winning w/o him.
Sure, but convincing them to come here is like 99% of the battle. I would love to grab two of those guys (or someone like Skjei) but I shudder to think of the overpayment it would take to make them choose us over a legit playoff team.

Besides, like I said before, I don’t really want to do the equivalent of signing Damon Severson and Erik Gusbranson to awful contracts.

Agreed on drafting D next year.
Yeah and I don't expect the Sharks to actually convince anyone of worth to come here and anchor the team in a transitional sense. It wouldn't be worth it for the Sharks to commit to someone what it would take to ask them to turn down likely better take-home pay and better competitive opportunities just for the minutes. That sort of thing is pretty rare for a free agent to do.
Well it’s a hypothetical, Toronto needs cap space couture makes less then Tavares and if healthy would probably be an upgrade at 3c scoring wise worst case scenario he goes on the LTIR for the leafs and they’ve got 12 mill to spend during the dead line

Tavares could slot in as the #1 on the team, Celebreni could slot in as the 3c or play wing with Tavares and get mentored by him
Yeah but Tavares has an NMC. No way he's waiving that for the Sharks. Maybe we can play the role of facilitator but I'm not sure what competitive team has the room or interest in Tavares' last year even if Toronto retains some of it (they won't retain anywhere close to 50% for sure and we can't do that either). The best we could do is hope that Tavares would waive for a team like Edmonton who has cap dumps they'd need a 3rd team to eat where we take on Campbell, move out Blackwood, and possibly move Couture as part of it if someone is for whatever reason willing to gamble on Couture's health for three seasons or think he'll stay on LTIR but we won't even know that until July comes and goes and Couture has either started skating or suffered another setback. It may not happen in time as interest in players of this sort of cost tends to dwindle as the offseason gets further into July.

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
With regards to Necas I think that players of his caliber tend to be available every year in a trade. I don't think it is the right time to make a move for Necas considering where we are in the rebuild and I have faith that in the next few years another player in the Necas caliber will be available in trade for a similar price to what we would pay now. In the past Meier, Debrincat, and Buchnevic have been acquired via trade, I am sure their future equivalents will also be acquirable when we have a better established core.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
With regards to Necas I think that players of his caliber tend to be available every year in a trade. I don't think it is the right time to make a move for Necas considering where we are in the rebuild and I have faith that in the next few years another player in the Necas caliber will be available in trade for a similar price to what we would pay now. In the past Meier, Debrincat, and Buchnevic have been acquired via trade, I am sure their future equivalents will also be acquirable when we have a better established core.
Wingers are the one position that we can afford to be patient with as it relates to committing to players. We have some that are good enough for where we are, some on the way, and they're pretty readily available through trade or free agency. Post-Celebrini, it's time to focus on defense and making that competitive. We're only going to have so much really available to us so we should take the best long-term bets and stay away from risky propositions there. We don't need to commit to someone who ends up like Vlasic.

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
No but he was still a pretty clear #1 and Vegas wasn't winning w/o him.

Yeah and I don't expect the Sharks to actually convince anyone of worth to come here and anchor the team in a transitional sense. It wouldn't be worth it for the Sharks to commit to someone what it would take to ask them to turn down likely better take-home pay and better competitive opportunities just for the minutes. That sort of thing is pretty rare for a free agent to do.

Yeah but Tavares has an NMC. No way he's waiving that for the Sharks. Maybe we can play the role of facilitator but I'm not sure what competitive team has the room or interest in Tavares' last year even if Toronto retains some of it (they won't retain anywhere close to 50% for sure and we can't do that either). The best we could do is hope that Tavares would waive for a team like Edmonton who has cap dumps they'd need a 3rd team to eat where we take on Campbell, move out Blackwood, and possibly move Couture as part of it if someone is for whatever reason willing to gamble on Couture's health for three seasons or think he'll stay on LTIR but we won't even know that until July comes and goes and Couture has either started skating or suffered another setback. It may not happen in time as interest in players of this sort of cost tends to dwindle as the offseason gets further into July.
Edmonton has the same problem Toronto has weak defense and goaltending so there’s no need for that type of trade. A lot of players have NMC’s it wouldnt be the first time they’ve been waived to go somewhere else even if it’s less desirable it’s only for one year and if Tavares is getting top line minutes his numbers will be up and the sharks could probably trade him and get a team to help make it happen. Sj has a lot of cap space may as well to try and use it wisely and not take on something like campbells contract

Reactions: Sandisfan

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Edmonton has the same problem Toronto has weak defense and goaltending so there’s no need for that type of trade. A lot of players have NMC’s it wouldnt be the first time they’ve been waived to go somewhere else even if it’s less desirable it’s only for one year and if Tavares is getting top line minutes his numbers will be up and the sharks could probably trade him and get a team to help make it happen. Sj has a lot of cap space may as well to try and use it wisely and not take on something like campbells contract
I cannot recall a single player that had an NMC that waived it to go from a playoff team to a non-playoff team.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
Check out this Podcast: Aggressive Trades For The 2024 Offseason Aggressive Trades For The 2024 Offseason
Locked On Sharks podcast
Marner, Necas, Ehlers and/or Chychrun as possible additions

Unless those guys can be had for spare parts (unlikely) I’m personally not all that interested. I’d also venture none of those guys are particularly interested in the Sharks.

They’re each fine players in their own way, but are on the market (or speculated to be so) for reasons that make me want to avoid them. Marner for being a consistent playoff non-factor. Necas and Chychrun because they want out of their current situations; seems like they’d want to bail on SJ too if things don’t go their way out the gates. I’m not sure why the Jets would make Ehlers available unless they viewed him as expendable and want to recoup assets prior to him entering UFA.

In all cases the Sharks would have to pay significant assets and then to make that worth it pony up on an expensive long term contract. Seems like a big investment for what seem to be a collection of solid supporting, but non-core players. This would essentially be running the Meier trade in reverse at a time when the org should be stockpiling assets and making moves with an eye on the long term. No need to rush it at this point.

Last edited:

StanleyCup2035

Oct 1, 2017
Kunin, of course, needs to be re-signed to $8M per 8 year deal (with a full NMC)

Other than that obvious move, I'm at a loss. Should the Sharks sign some veterans to teach Celebrini (and may-be Smith) the ropes and play on their wings (ex: Stamkos to a 2 year $20M deal or somthing) and some decent defense (DeMelo, Zadorov) or should we stay near the salary cap minimum to insure maximum suckage?

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
Kunin, of course, needs to be re-signed to $8M per 8 year deal (with a full NMC)

Other than that obvious move, I'm at a loss. Should the Sharks sign some veterans to teach Celebrini (and may-be Smith) the ropes and play on their wings (ex: Stamkos to a 2 year $20M deal or somthing) and some decent defense (DeMelo, Zadorov) or should we stay near the salary cap minimum to insure maximum suckage?
Personally, I'd try to stay near the floor. Not so much because of the suckage aspect (cause I don't think there's any way around suckage for at least a couple more years), but because having a lot of cap space gives you a chance to make deals for other team's cap dumps and your ability to take on more salary means that you don't have to give up as much talent in exchange to get them. The Sharks aren't going to be attractive free agent destinations for a while and any guys they do get that other teams want, they're gonna have to overpay to get them to come here. I think you can raise the talent level of the Sharks to make them more competitive in games, even if they aren't winning that many more of them, without going nuts in free agency to do it.

And IMO, the Sharks need at least two more drafts where they're near the top of the lottery to really build out their prospect pool if they want to compete for Cups and not just be a regular playoff team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad