Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency - Offseason Edition

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
And Trenin might be more of a Bambi than Rants.

Target more IQ over big and fast for the bottom 6.
Do you not think at some point the Avs are going to have to ice players on ELCs?

Given the cap situation + the Rantanen extension, the extra $500K-$1M for depth players is really going to matter. Particularly if they're going to have to carry $2-4M in dead cap for ridding themselves of Nichushkin.

It seems to me that players with sub-$1M contracts generally come in 3 flavors:
1) They're solid players with old legs
2) They're on ELCs
3) They suck

The Avs have largely been choosing door #1, they certainly did this season. Maybe a migration to #2 would be something to consider? :dunno:

Reactions: niwotsblessing

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
We've talked pretty extensively about the notion that the Avs have to cut a $3-4M to fit Mitts in, debating about whether they should dump Lehkonen, Girard, or Manson.

I admit that when we were having those debates, I was not considering Nichushkin's salary as the one they could create space with. But it's quite viable now. It all depends on what garbage cap hit the Avs are going to have to carry forward.
Oddly enough, I'm just not feeling like there will be a lot of issues getting Mittelstadt taken care of. At the time of the trade, Joe and MacFarland knew his RFA status w/ Arb rights, and I feel like if they were as smart as we believe they are, they would have taken that in to consideration w/ their roster as it was (including Nichushkin who, obviously, at the time hadn't snorted his way off the team). And that includes running scenarios of which cap hit they would have to offload to re-sign him. Now, does that mean it'll make us happy whenever it comes time to do that? It remains to be seen.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
You can get to a 22 man roster (Landy in, Nuke still suspended) in with about $850k in space without any trades. That way if the Landy thing goes south you can use his LTIR more effectively, but it still leaves the Nuke issue needing resolved and the team is not as strong.
Drouin + Mittelstadt $9.75m
#6-7D $775-800k each

Drouin - MacK - Rants
Landy - Mitts - Lehky
Wood - Colton - Ritchie
LOC - Wagner - Kovalenko
Foudy

Toews - Makar
Girard - Manson
#5-7 (some combo of Behrens/Malinski/#6 signing/ another cheap signing)

George
Juice

Gonna go all to smoke once Rants starts making bigger money, but unless he's traded, that is where we are. Maybe by 25-26 Ritchie can supplant Colton and his M-NTC won't cause as big an issue.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Do you not think at some point the Avs are going to have to ice players on ELCs?

2) They're on ELCs
3) They suck

The Avs have largely been choosing door #1, they certainly did this season. Maybe a migration to #2 would be something to consider? :dunno:
You have to draft well to do that, and draft guys with a skill set that fits what the team is playing at the current moment... which goes against a lot of teams' philosophy including the Avs.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006

Given the cap situation + the Rantanen extension, the extra $500K-$1M for depth players is really going to matter. Particularly if they're going to have to carry $2-4M in dead cap for ridding themselves of Nichushkin.

2) They're on ELCs
3) They suck

As long as they don't go down to #3...😂

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
It's going to be resolved but it will have to wait until next season. Landeskog will be at training camp, that timeline puts him at 16 months which is the end of his recovery from the surgery.

If he's good to go, he'll play. If he's not, then he'll go on LTIR the rest of his career and the Avs will use that money to find a different player. Either way, the Avs will have clarity - they just have to wait until training camp and plan the offseason as if he will be back.

It will obviously be a down year if he can't come back, we lose Nichushkin and we miss out on UFAs because of his Summer cap hit. But that's the risk the org is willing to take for Landeskog to return.
Yeah but there might be a situation where Landy goes through training camp then they say he’s not ready to start the season yet but might come back soon sometime during the season and we go through another year with uncertainty if he’s even gonna come back

Reactions: Iceberg

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
Someone made a good point. We might not find another Dman who will sign again for 775-800K like JMFJ probably will. We may have him for another year. Which with our obvious cap concerns we need league min guys. So a third pair of Johnson-Malinski/Behrens may be in the works to start the year until the deadline. Which honestly. I don’t hate that much.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
If Ryan Ellis doesn't play (as expected), there is really no reason to buy him out. They have cap room with Ellis on LTIR, Philly's owners don't care about the cash, and they get the contract off the books ASAP.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
IMG_8976.jpeg

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
If you think that Rantanen is the best way to solve our cap issues then fine, I'm ok to explore that option. If you think that this team will be improved by swapping Rantanen for two or three lesser players, wrong. Unless you trade him for a guy like Saros, who is a difference maker in that position.
Pretty sure most here want the cap relief most and that’s why it gets mentioned so much. Restructuring cap allocation is a must.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
At McDonagh's age, the cliff is imminent... but he was really good last year and gets to pair back up with Cernak on the 2nd pairing. If he plays like last season (very large if), he improves that defense a lot.

I know trades are allowed at any time in a year, but you don't often see an actual significant trade made during the playoffs.

Wonder if this means it's the end of the road for Stammer in Tampa Bay.
The Provorov/Walker deal was made last year. Same with Severson's rights. The Dadonov/Weber deal in 22. It happens with fair regularity.

Preds making more cap room. Just saying, Saros for Rantanen...
Marner seems more likely.

Reactions: Linds

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Not sure yet if this means the end of Stamkos in TB, I suspect they may be looking to shed other pieces to try and fit him back in.

It does make me wonder if they might be interested in retaining some salary on any of their depth/bottom 6 pieces and if Colorado might be able to nab someone for a relatively cheap price

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
6.75M for 2 years...for a 35yo dman that's terrible, especially on a team with their cap situation

Can't say I'm impressed with BriseBois TBH. He inherited Yzerman's team to win and since then is terrible decisions are starting to pile up.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Not sure yet if this means the end of Stamkos in TB, I suspect they may be looking to shed other pieces to try and fit him back in.

It does make me wonder if they might be interested in retaining some salary on any of their depth/bottom 6 pieces and if Colorado might be able to nab someone for a relatively cheap price
Tampa won't be retaining on the depth. They need the space. Jeannot could be had with ease, but the name to really watch is Cirelli.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad