Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency - Offseason Edition

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
You’re thinking of him as a 2C and not 3C which he’d be used as with each of these team.
That's because he's paid like one. Leafs sure would shoot themselves in the foot once again if they get a 3C making that kind of money.

A1U7L7h.png

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I think that'd be an exceptional waste of funds for a 3rd line center.
Don’t disagree with that idea… the non-Toronto teams do have excess value over what their guys should be producing at 1C and 2C. But proper salaries at role is an important piece in team building.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Are we really going to roll with Fourgiev again next season? For how good supposedly he played in the playoffs he still ended up with a negative goals saved above expected. He is just not the guy. Statically he was one of the worst goalie in the playoffs to the surprise of no one.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Are we really going to roll with Fourgiev again next season? For how good supposedly he played in the playoffs he still ended up with a negative goals saved above expected. He is just not the guy. Statically he was one of the worst goalie in the playoffs to the surprise of no one.
who would you be targeting as a replacement?
Taking into account the other issues facing the Avs this offseason I am struggling to find a fit.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
dude was swimming in net all playoffs. Didn't steal a single game. I'd look for other options (Saros retained would be great).

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Shouldn't the bolded tell us something about how things other than goalie performance may impact that stat though?

George had issues with the occasional soft goal throughout the regular season. But in the playoffs he didn't. He made many great saves to keep the team in games, and help them win, without the soft goals.

IMO he played better in the playoffs than Kuemper or Grubauer did, who did have issues with soft goals.

The way I look at it, given the need for a cheap goalie to fit the team under the cap, and how hard it may be to find a better option, plus their lack of assets to do so, and the fact it's still gamble that they could play better, bringing back Georgiev seems like their best option.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
We are rolling with Georgiev, beacuse

- He was the least of our problems vs Dallas
- It's a hard position to really improve

There would be ways, if you are willing to get creative. Like I've said, Rantanen for Saros. You acquire capspace, and change the outlook of the team.

If you want to move on from Georgiev, f*** the half-measures. You would go get a Saros, a Markström, an Ullmark.

Reactions: LurkerMcgee

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Do the Avs have an additional $1.6m AAV (assuming George is sent away) + the expendable assets for that while filling the other open positions?
Saros w/ 50% retention saves you just under 1 million compared to Georgiev - and a substantial upgrade in net. Do it with 25% retention and its over 2 million.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Saros w/ 50% retention saves you just under 1 million compared to Georgiev - and a substantial upgrade in net. Do it with 25% retention and its over 2 million.
I can do the math, but that doesn't answer Who/what are you offering to Nashville to convince them to make that deal to a divisional playoff team?
Then we can tackle the other holes in the roster

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

What's that cost though? He only has one year left, but their owner is already paying $7.5M in dead cap, so it'll have to be worth it for them.

If they keep him, they can try to re-sign him, then see how good their team is next year, and if they're not in a playoff spot, then maybe trade him at the deadline for a 1st/Player/Prospect type deal.

The Avs 1st isn't worth a ton and I'm not sure they have a player or prospect they can entice them with. Whatever player they move, they'll have to replace somehow, and without a 1st the next two years, they don't have much else to use in trade.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
We are rolling with Georgiev, beacuse

- He was the least of our problems vs Dallas
- It's a hard position to really improve

There would be ways, if you are willing to get creative. Like I've said, Rantanen for Saros. You acquire capspace, and change the outlook of the team.

If you want to move on from Georgiev, f*** the half-measures. You would go get a Saros, a Markström, an Ullmark.

I wouldn't say he was the least but he most definitely was not the most.

That said, I agree. If you're gonna make a goaltending change then you gotta aim higher.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
I can do the math, but that doesn't answer Who/what are you offering to Nashville to convince them to make that deal to a divisional playoff team?
Then we can tackle the other holes in the roster
Someone feel free to correct me but I don't believe Nashville has to be one of the teams retaining.
Could be Nashville trades Saros to team A, Team A to Team B, and Team B to Colorado.
Nashville gets the return for Saros at full cap hit whatever that might be - maybe 1st + Lehkonen or something I dunno. Team A & Team B get picks for retention.

• Wow
Reactions: AslanRH

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
The Avs will need to get creative this offseason no doubt.

Other than maybe a couple of rooks, I don’t think there’s enough down there to rely on them taking a spot this season.

The Avs will need to find the “Drouin-type” players for the bottom 6.

Problem is, JB is gonna grind our top players to a fine powder next season again. And I don’t see the types of moves that would stop that from happening.

Edit: I think the best thing for next season is you’re gonna get a much more motivated Rantanen.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The only way you improve upon Georgiev is by spending more money for a better starter. No goalie making what he does or less will give us a chance to win unless they are acquired via trade with retention ala Kuemper.

Best thing is for Bednar to stop f***ing around and give him every 3rd game off. Georgiev should top out at 55 games, backup needs at least 27.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
The only way you improve upon Georgiev is by spending more money for a better starter. No goalie making what he does or less will give us a chance to win unless they are acquired via trade with retention ala Kuemper.

Best thing is for Bednar to stop f***ing around and give him every 3rd game off. Georgiev should top out at 55 games, backup needs at least 27.
You can get a Saros or Ullmark with retention, will end up paying the same as Georgiev, but it will only be for a year as they both only have one year on their contract. We can’t afford to resign either of them and we have to give up good assets to get either Saros or Ullmark

Reactions: The Moops

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019

I agree with this. The upgrade needs to be substantial or why bother. You never know with middling goalies year to year.

Also a fair point on playing time in regards to George. Bednar gets a laughably large amount of hate here but he does need to find ways to limit playing time for George among others.

Reactions: The Moops

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad