Boston Bruins 2024-25 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I wouldn't be upset if we signed him but I'm a little worried about what he could end up being. He's had a bad year and seems to have gotten a little worse once he got to Vancouver. You're right he can play down as he ages but I feel like he's one of these guys that doesn't age well.

There’s always risk to signing a FA, and maybe I’m simplifying things too much and am not looking at the big picture enough, but I’m really focusing on the next 2 years, while Marchand is still viable (preferably as a 2nd/3rd liner).

I think he’s a lock to make them much better up front….but he can’t be the only relatively big fish they bring in. They need JDB back or a legit replacement and one other scoring forward.

I can live with the defense, but feel they need to revamp the forwards, pretty significantly.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
It’s hard for me to process anyone who watched Brandon Carlo in the playoffs this year not think he’s tough to play against. He was awesome.
Never said he wasn’t tough to play against. I said I wanted a tough (as in physicality) hard to play against version of himself. As in putting fear in his opponent making them think twice of not going into the corner or in front of the net. I’ll take him for what he brings and who he is but I just wish he had some nasty and played with some intimidation but that’s not him as a player/person. He’s a top 4 d man but he certainly isn’t a top 2 which is fine and like I said I’d move him for a more tough hard to play against version of himself, again meaning someone who can intimidate and put fear into an opponent physically when their out there on the ice. Doesn’t mean Carlo doesn’t give guys fits I just want some meanness and nasty along with his skill set.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Fluto been wrong plenty.
DeBrusk has become an all-purpose wing, trusted to kill penalties as well as retrieve pucks on the power play. But he has always considered himself a finisher, first and foremost. DeBrusk scored 19 regular-season goals — a respectable sum, but only fifth most on the team. Whether there’s more to come is at the center of the disagreement between DeBrusk and the Bruins over his future value.

DeBrusk has always wanted to stay. The Bruins feel the same way. They need a goal-scoring presence on the wing to support Pastrnak and Brad Marchand. But general manager Don Sweeney appears to have a price in mind. To this point, he has not been willing to exceed it.

So unless the sides compromise between now and July 1, it appears the expiration of his two-year, $8 million contract will mean the end of DeBrusk’s time as a Bruin.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I'd at least kick the tires on Monahan

59 points last season, mostly on a bottom feeder team.

54.7 % at the dot.

Watched him play quite a bit last season. Solid player.

Can probably be brought in at a very reasonable cap hit.

He could slot into the 2C and then you either put Zacha on the wing or trade .

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
So I keep looking at B's Ott but I feel like we are missing a piece for real big trade with them. I came up with two scenarios but one I think leaves us with way too many LHD and I'm not sure I have enough in either. Both require the NTC's not to get in the way lol but for fun what more is needed

Trade one (the smaller one)

to Ott; Ullmark, Carlo

to Bos: Tkachuk

Trade two

to Ott: Ullmark, Carlo, Coyle

To Bos: Tkachuk, Chychrin, Korpisalo (maybe with a little retention)

I would sooner move Lindholm than Carlo but based off of contracts they have I think he's who'd they want more even if their salaries were even. Coyle I added in the last one simply because we'd need to add another piece and I didn't know who else it could be. Korpisalo is negative value obviously.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Could you elaborate on the Backes comparison and why it would be twice the risk?

I only ask because I’ve enjoyed your back and forth with sarge on this, however I just don’t see how they compare a whole lot.

Backes was 32 when he signed that deal and was already clearly beginning to decline in St Louis as most aging power forwards do like Mike Richards and Brendan Morrow for example.

I will agree that there is certainly risk involved, perhaps that’s the angle. I just don’t see it.
I remember when Backes signed and Blues fans warned us that he had seen a sharp decline in effectiveness that year. People defended the move and stated certain circumstance to justify the muted stats.

Lindholm has just come off his worst season in ages. People defending the decline as a series of circumstances. People want him as their number one after putting up numbers easily inferior to the two that we’re ready to kick to the curb.

If Lindholm signs here and isn’t able to thrive in that role, there will be many who said the same things they did with Backes. “Writing was on the wall”. “Saw that coming after the season he had.” “You knew he was on the decline but were desperate that you broke the bank anyway.” “That’s why you don’t commit big dollars long term to players on the wrong side of 30.”

It’s fair that you note the differences. Backes was a far more physical player than Lindholm is. And he was two years older than Lindholm would be at the time of their signings. But Lindholm is looking to cost $8M/yr and will command a 7 year term. That’s what makes him twice the risk ($56M to $24M). Lindholm stinks in year two and you’re staring down the barrel of another five seasons of overpayment or an expensive long-term buyout.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
So I keep looking at B's Ott but I feel like we are missing a piece for real big trade with them. I came up with two scenarios but one I think leaves us with way too many LHD and I'm not sure I have enough in either. Both require the NTC's not to get in the way lol but for fun what more is needed

to Ott; Ullmark, Carlo

Trade two

I would sooner move Lindholm than Carlo but based off of contracts they have I think he's who'd they want more even if their salaries were even. Coyle I added in the last one simply because we'd need to add another piece and I didn't know who else it could be. Korpisalo is negative value obviously.
If they can get Brady Thachuk for Ullmark and Carlo Sweeney will go down as the greatest GM in NHL history. Sam Pollock would be an after thought.

No way in a million years does Ottawa make that trade.

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
Lindholm definitely did not look like a player worth 8+mil tonight. I’d rather they don’t blow all the cap space in one season to fill a hole with the wrong piece. Snag Stephenson and ride it out again in the C department unless a trade for a legit #1 can be made.

Reactions: bbfan419

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
If they can get Brady Thachuk for Ullmark and Carlo Sweeney will go down as the greatest GM in NHL history. Sam Pollock would be an after thought.

No way in a million years does Ottawa make that trade.
so what needs to be added? I don't think this is the final product but I think it's a decent baseline. Maybe I'm really far off

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
so what needs to be added? I don't think this is the final product but I think it's a decent baseline. Maybe I'm really far off
It's not so much what's missing in your proposals (although, one can argue that the Bruins need to add to acquire Tkachuck) as much as the motivation for Ottawa trading him. He's only 24 years old. He's potted more than 30 goals in each of his last three seasons while adding about 40 assists in each. He's also signed for four more years at $8.2 million per. This production makes his contract valuable. The other thing that must be considered is whether other teams offer a better return for Ottawa. My guess is that several can. If he had a year or two left on his deal and the team performed the way they did this season, the motivation might be different. They might see a need and/or Tkachuk might want out to play for a winner. However, his NMC kicks in after the 2024-25 season, giving him far more control over his potential destination. It's a good thought, but the likelihood is beyond remote at this time.

Reactions: Gordoff

PatriceBergeron

Apr 7, 2014
MA
Edmonton laughs at any offer for Draisaitl that doesn’t include McAvoy and we have to add multiple pieces to him for them to even think about it.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I'd like to keep Peeke. I think he's got a lot of game that we didn't see yet due to his late season injury and late start to the post season. Plus, giving up 2 RD is a mistake IMO.
Yeah you could be right, I just think Desharnais is an underrated Dman with size, something we could use on the back end.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB

to Ott; Ullmark, Carlo

Trade two

I would make trade #2 , if we could then find a way to flip Korpisalo, without any salary retention.

It's not so much what's missing in your proposals (although, one can argue that the Bruins need to add to acquire Tkachuck) as much as the motivation for Ottawa trading him. He's only 24 years old. He's potted more than 30 goals in each of his last three seasons while adding about 40 assists in each. He's also signed for four more years at $8.2 million per. This production makes his contract valuable. The other thing that must be considered is whether other teams offer a better return for Ottawa. My guess is that several can. If he had a year or two left on his deal and the team performed the way they did this season, the motivation might be different. They might see a need and/or Tkachuk might want out to play for a winner. However, his NMC kicks in after the 2024-25 season, giving him far more control over his potential destination. It's a good thought, but the likelihood is beyond remote at this time.
The only I think they move Tkachuk is of he wants out and that could be the case.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
With all the cap money out there teams are going to overpay bigtime. I can see most people getting 20-30% higher that expected. Could really be a bidding war.
That’s the problem when your trying to build through free agency and also waiting for trades at the TD. It makes the focus on the draft more intense. Don’t expect the draft to rescue them for 4-5 years. They have traded a lot of picks recently. Those lost first rounders are looming big now. This isn’t a knock on the fact that they went for it the last three years pretty much, it’s just a fact. They have some pieces but they can only use free agency and maybe a college grab here and there.

Reactions: DaStinger

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
McAvoy instead of Carlo or a lot of picks and prospects, 2 of Merkulov, Lysell and Poitras and a first.

Ulmark, Carlo, Lysell, Poitras and a first might get it done and I am not sure if that is enough.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I could absolutely see Brady forcing his way out at some point. We’ve already seen Matthew do it to get out of Calgary

I can’t see Ullmark willingly going to Ottawa. Tkachuk trade starts with Lohrei and adds from there I’d imagine

Reactions: bbfan419
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad