Boston Bruins 2024-25 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bodit9

Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
I want no part of Elias Lindholm, more of what we have bland and no grit
Lindholm is a poor man's Bergeron, which would be nice to have.

Bergy: 0.80 ppg regular season; 0.75 ppg playoffs

Lindholm: 0.68 ppg regular season; 0.68 ppg playoffs

Is he a #1C? No. But is he a very good #2C that also plays great D and wins faceoffs? Yes. And he's the best C out there so I think it's a no brainer to try to sign him.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

There’s always risk to signing a FA, and maybe I’m simplifying things too much and am not looking at the big picture enough, but I’m really focusing on the next 2 years, while Marchand is still viable (preferably as a 2nd/3rd liner).

I think he’s a lock to make them much better up front….but he can’t be the only relatively big fish they bring in. They need JDB back or a legit replacement and one other scoring forward.

I can live with the defense, but feel they need to revamp the forwards, pretty significantly.

They need one of Lindholm\Stephenson and I wouldn't rule out trying to get Bertuzzi back. That would mean #74 is gone though.

Worst case would be Domi and Bertuzzi.

Never said he wasn’t tough to play against. I said I wanted a tough (as in physicality) hard to play against version of himself. As in putting fear in his opponent making them think twice of not going into the corner or in front of the net. I’ll take him for what he brings and who he is but I just wish he had some nasty and played with some intimidation but that’s not him as a player/person. He’s a top 4 d man but he certainly isn’t a top 2 which is fine and like I said I’d move him for a more tough hard to play against version of himself, again meaning someone who can intimidate and put fear into an opponent physically when their out there on the ice. Doesn’t mean Carlo doesn’t give guys fits I just want some meanness and nasty along with his skill set.
Who is there you can get for him that checks those boxes?

Reactions: sarge88

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
Lindholm is a poor man's Bergeron, which would be nice to have.

Bergy: 0.80 ppg regular season; 0.75 ppg playoffs

Lindholm: 0.68 ppg regular season; 0.68 ppg playoffs

Is he a #1C? No. But is he a very good #2C that also plays great D and wins faceoffs? Yes. And he's the best C out there so I think it's a no brainer to try to sign him.
If he can be had for 2C sure but getting out of cap hell to turn around and give Lindholm 8+mil for 7-8 years just because he’s the only premier center available seems like making the same UFA mistakes all over again.

Reactions: Bruinfanatic

Festy1986

Apr 23, 2018
If he can be had for 2C sure but getting out of cap hell to turn around and give Lindholm 8+mil for 7-8 years just because he’s the only premier center available seems like making the same UFA mistakes all over again.

So you want to kick the can down the road to next off-season?

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
So I keep looking at B's Ott but I feel like we are missing a piece for real big trade with them. I came up with two scenarios but one I think leaves us with way too many LHD and I'm not sure I have enough in either. Both require the NTC's not to get in the way lol but for fun what more is needed

Trade one (the smaller one)

to Ott; Ullmark, Carlo

to Bos: Tkachuk

Trade two

to Ott: Ullmark, Carlo, Coyle

To Bos: Tkachuk, Chychrin, Korpisalo (maybe with a little retention)

I would sooner move Lindholm than Carlo but based off of contracts they have I think he's who'd they want more even if their salaries were even. Coyle I added in the last one simply because we'd need to add another piece and I didn't know who else it could be. Korpisalo is negative value obviously.

Let's maybe move on from these. It's like trading Colorado for Mckinnon. There's no point. Ottawa and Tkachuk love each other. He's the franchise.

Reactions: dangermike

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
If we can’t land Stamkos, you target Lindholm as your long-term 2C. Next season will be another transition year.
You then go after Draisaitl at the trade deadline or that summer as an UFA.

Draisaitl
Lindholm
Coyle/Poitras
Poitras/Coyle/Beecher

You’re now set against anyone.

Reactions: bbfan419 and Bodit9

Bodit9

Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
There are no 1Cs available. If Drai becomes available, then you move heaven and earth to get him. I think if Lindholm is asking for that much, Donny will pivot to Stephenson who will come in cheaper. Latest contract projection I saw for Lindholm was 5 years at $6.8 AAV which is fine.

Reactions: RiverbottomChuck

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I remember when Backes signed and Blues fans warned us that he had seen a sharp decline in effectiveness that year. People defended the move and stated certain circumstance to justify the muted stats.

Lindholm has just come off his worst season in ages. People defending the decline as a series of circumstances. People want him as their number one after putting up numbers easily inferior to the two that we’re ready to kick to the curb.

If Lindholm signs here and isn’t able to thrive in that role, there will be many who said the same things they did with Backes. “Writing was on the wall”. “Saw that coming after the season he had.” “You knew he was on the decline but were desperate that you broke the bank anyway.” “That’s why you don’t commit big dollars long term to players on the wrong side of 30.”

It’s fair that you note the differences. Backes was a far more physical player than Lindholm is. And he was two years older than Lindholm would be at the time of their signings. But Lindholm is looking to cost $8M/yr and will command a 7 year term. That’s what makes him twice the risk ($56M to $24M). Lindholm stinks in year two and you’re staring down the barrel of another five seasons of overpayment or an expensive long-term buyout.
Damned if you do...........

Can see both sides, so do you do a potentially "safer" route like Monahan and Bertuzzi?

Or even Bertuzzi and Domi?

Can't see both leaving anyway.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
There are no 1Cs available. If Drai becomes available, then you move heaven and earth to get him. I think if Lindholm is asking for that much, Donny will pivot to Stephenson who will come in cheaper. Latest contract projection I saw for Lindholm was 5 years at $6.8 AAV which is fine.
Lindholm at 6.8\5 years?

Festy1986

Apr 23, 2018
I don’t see it as kicking the can down the road, is it smart to give Lindholm $8 mil for 7 years after he had a season on par with Zacha just because he’s a righty, wins faceoffs, and is the only C available?

I don't know but I do know they can't go into another season with the forwards and centers they have.

Reactions: RiverbottomChuck

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
So I keep looking at B's Ott but I feel like we are missing a piece for real big trade with them. I came up with two scenarios but one I think leaves us with way too many LHD and I'm not sure I have enough in either. Both require the NTC's not to get in the way lol but for fun what more is needed

Trade one (the smaller one)

to Ott; Ullmark, Carlo

to Bos: Tkachuk

Trade two

to Ott: Ullmark, Carlo, Coyle

To Bos: Tkachuk, Chychrin, Korpisalo (maybe with a little retention)

I would sooner move Lindholm than Carlo but based off of contracts they have I think he's who'd they want more even if their salaries were even. Coyle I added in the last one simply because we'd need to add another piece and I didn't know who else it could be. Korpisalo is negative value obviously.
It would take a hell of a lot more to get Brady and I mean a hell of a lot more. A ullmark for Chychrun deal makes sense as both will be pending FA and salaries are pretty close Chychrun can play both sides as well and both players have been rumored to be moved this off season but imo I don’t see these two clubs making any type of an impactful deal with them being in the same division.

Last edited:

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
If we can’t land Stamkos, you target Lindholm as your long-term 2C. Next season will be another transition year.

Draisaitl
Lindholm
Coyle/Poitras
Poitras/Coyle/Beecher

Stamkos hasn't really played C in an age. He doesn't for Tampa.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Draisaitl
Lindholm
Coyle/Poitras
Poitras/Coyle/Beecher

Good luck getting under the Cap.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I don’t see it as kicking the can down the road, is it smart to give Lindholm $8 mil for 7 years after he had a season on par with Zacha just because he’s a righty, wins faceoffs, and is the only C available?

Is it smart to only look at this season to grade the value of a player? If he went out and put up 100pts this past season would you not look at his previous seasons?

gerrycheeversmask

Feb 18, 2021
Behind Enemy Lines
Interesting to see how it all plays out.

Debrusk $5.8m
Heinen $2.9m
Gryz $3.2m

All seem a little high for those guys but I guess we will see. Gryz probably gone regardless though.
Who in their right mind is going to give Gryz 3.2m ???

I really like what Heinen brought to the team, but no way do I sign him for 2.9M. Maybe if it was 2.9M over two years (1.45M per year).

I think that Debrusk is a goner, but at around 5.5M, I'd be tempted to keep him.

Bodit9

Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
Tried my hand at putting together a realistic roster for next year using the AFP Analytics contract projections. Focused on getting a good mix of size, speed, skill, youth, experience, verstatility, and toughness. Wanted several guys willing to throw hands as well.

Roster moves:
Ullmark traded for Dawson Mercer
Sign Elias Lindholm - 5 y/$6.8AAV
Sign Dawson Mercer - 2y/$3.75AAV
Sign Brenden Dillon - 2y/$$2.7AAV
Sign Brandon Duhaime - 3y/$1.8AAV
Sign Jeremy Swayman - 5y/$6.5AAV
Sign Brandon Bussi - 2y/$1.2AAV

Projected cap hit: $85.5 per cap friendly

Zacha/Lindholm/Pasta
Marchy/Coyle/Mercer
Freddy/Geekie/Lysell
Duhaime/Beecher/Brazeau
Lauko/Brown

Dillon/Mac
Lindholm/Carlo
Lohrei/Peeke
Wotherspoon

Swayman
Bussi

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
I remember when Backes signed and Blues fans warned us that he had seen a sharp decline in effectiveness that year. People defended the move and stated certain circumstance to justify the muted stats.

Lindholm has just come off his worst season in ages. People defending the decline as a series of circumstances. People want him as their number one after putting up numbers easily inferior to the two that we’re ready to kick to the curb.

If Lindholm signs here and isn’t able to thrive in that role, there will be many who said the same things they did with Backes. “Writing was on the wall”. “Saw that coming after the season he had.” “You knew he was on the decline but were desperate that you broke the bank anyway.” “That’s why you don’t commit big dollars long term to players on the wrong side of 30.”

It’s fair that you note the differences. Backes was a far more physical player than Lindholm is. And he was two years older than Lindholm would be at the time of their signings. But Lindholm is looking to cost $8M/yr and will command a 7 year term. That’s what makes him twice the risk ($56M to $24M). Lindholm stinks in year two and you’re staring down the barrel of another five seasons of overpayment or an expensive long-term buyout.
I see what you are saying regarding money x term. Its a fair point, but it is based on an assumption of contract value.

I would imagine his deal comes closer to 5-6 years at anywhere from $6-7 per. We won’t know for sure until the ink is dry wherever he signs. Personally I think you will get more out of him than they did Backes at the time. He also plays a style that doesn’t necessarily fall off a cliff, but it is absolutely fair to say his down year can’t be completely ignored.

Risk is such a big part of free agency as we all know. Reinhart is an example of a guy who I personally find to be incredibly risky. He is guy who is potentially looking at $10+ per. Are you paying for what he did last year? Can he repeat the success elsewhere?

It’s all a big dice roll. I’m not saying you suggested him by the way. I’m musing over the fact that free agents coming off of down years are often as risky propositions as guys coming off of career years.

No right answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad