Boston Bruins 2024-25 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Gryz was never a FA, and honestly was probably underpaid for half his contract, as much as he frustrated me.

I was of course thinking the Belesky, Backes and arguably Foligno (although he probably played close to value his second year). Not sure what we learn from these, Belesky certainly calls out the concern of overpaying for that one year wonder . Backes and Foligno bring concerns around overpaying for character/heavy game in older players
I think a common theme with Sweeney's UFA signings is they're almost always too long. Backes was good deal cap hit wise initially but was a year or two too long for term. John Moore was way too long; 5 years for a bottom pairing d-man? Mike Reilly's was too long, should've been a one year extension since he was clearly the last option for the blue line after they couldn't land an upgrade. Ullmark's deal looking like it was a year too long, should've lined it up better with Swayman's RFA status. Could keep going.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Yeah - just curious what their plan is... move someone to re-sign Stamkos or let him walk. I think they move someone else to make space
Cirelli could be an interesting trade target if he's cheap cause they need to clear cap. Center, ok at the dot, 20 goals, part of some very successful playoff runs although his playoff stats don't look too remarkable.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think a common theme with Sweeney's UFA signings is they're almost always too long. Backes was good deal cap hit wise initially but was a year or two too long for term. John Moore was way too long; 5 years for a bottom pairing d-man? Mike Reilly's was too long, should've been a one year extension since he was clearly the last option for the blue line after they couldn't land an upgrade. Ullmark's deal looking like it was a year too long, should've lined it up better with Swayman's RFA status. Could keep going.

Arguable on others, but Ullmarks deal is not a year to long. It was very well timed. Never would have intentionally planned on them being free agents at the same time.

And ultimately when signing guys all you have to offer is money , length and ntc/nmc. Trying to get anyone to sign requires a competitive deal in all 3 areas

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Lindholm didn't look good in the playoffs, he had 10 points in 13 games, won more than 50% of his faceoffs, had 36 hits.

Max Domi had 4 points in 7 games with 5 hits, and apparently he was awesome. He did have a great FO percentage. Domi had a nice run in 22/23 with Dallas, but that's about it. He's a #3, or really a mid to low end #2, because he doesn't have the physicality you want in a #3

By the way Domi had 84% offensive zone starts, Lindholm had 36%
Fair enough....however

- Lindholm did not face tops save % playoffs Swayman
- No big difference in +/- Domi +1, Linholm L +4
- No big difference Avg pts/game Domi = .60 , Lind =.80 Lin
- Big difference FW 28 FL 14 67%, D=FW 131 FL 125 51%
- Plus Domi avg 2 minutes less ice time

I liked what I saw from Domi and not against getting Lindholm, in fact why not land both players.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zillah

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I find it interesting reading comments like this...did folk actually watch the leaf bruin series?

In both cases I won't overreact to see one series. In terms of the player they have shown on a regular basis over the last 3-5 years they simply aren't comparable

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Reilly had a good year for Islanders.

Reactions: Sturm und Drang

KrugAvoy

Aug 11, 2017
Lowell
Give me Lindholm, Bertuzzi, Monahan and Dillion bring back jdb

Adios Zacha, Ullmark, Gryz, Forbort

Zacha and Ullmark gone for picks/prospects to rebuild pool and gain more cap space

Bertuzzi-Lindholm-Pastrnak
Marchand-Monahan-DeBrusk
Frederic-Coyle-Geekie
Boquist-Beecher-Brazzeau
Maroon,Lauko

Lohrei-McAvoy
Lindholm-Carlo
Dillon-Peeke
Wootherspoon

SwayBuss

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
In both cases I won't overreact to see one series. In terms of the player they have shown on a regular basis over the last 3-5 years they simply aren't comparable

Really? Taking a look at playoff performances both players are comparable. In fact I would give the edge to Domi.

Lindholm in 40 playoff games between 2018 and 2024
G = 13
A = 14
Avg ice time = 20
+/- = -7
Points = 27
F/O playoffs 62%, 51%, 55%, 51%

Domi in 50 playoff games between 2019 and 2024
G =7
A = 19
Avg ice time = 14
+/- = +2
Points = 26
F/O playoffs 51%, 50%, 56%, 66%

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Domi had a slow start last year. Then quickly became a massive fan fave for them, producing like mad, while showing some balls. He's one of maybe 5 Leafs the fans absolutely want back.

Reactions: Blowfish

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
Bruins may need to keep powder dry for #29 in Edmonton. So u may see just a Monahan. Problem is if they don't get him.

I would take him at the right price.
There are just some guys you never want to see on the Bruins for a variety of reasons... Ulf S., C. Lemieux, and for some reason I have Domi on that list...irrational? maybe ...but I don't want him at all ..can't cheer for him

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
There are just some guys you never want to see on the Bruins for a variety of reasons... Ulf S., C. Lemieux, and for some reason I have Domi on that list...irrational? maybe ...but I don't want him at all ..can't cheer for him
I hate him to so I get it. Hated him since the USA Canada WJC game.

Reactions: Guelph Bruin

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
The only right answer is that the Bruins can't go into next season with Coyle and Zacha as 1 and 2 Cs. They are going to have to take a chance on someone.
I don’t know. Maybe. Maybe not.

People act like C is the only issue the team had this season. But they were slow up front. There was no pushback when other teams got rough. No size or board presence in the top six. Relied on one player for offense. They had little scoring from the blueline. And they didn’t have an ass-kicker on the defense either.

If a #1C isn’t available, why overpay to put someone in that spot when it’s out of their depth? Why not work on the myriad of other deficiencies with players who fit the role and paygrade?

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I don’t know. Maybe. Maybe not.

People act like C is the only issue the team had this season. But they were slow up front. There was no pushback when other teams got rough. No size or board presence in the top six. Relied on one player for offense. They had little scoring from the blueline. And they didn’t have an ass-kicker on the defense either.

If a #1C isn’t available, why overpay to put someone in that spot when it’s out of their depth? Why not work on the myriad of other deficiencies with players who fit the role and paygrade?
They need to upgrade C for next year. Even if its Monahan to give you
Coyle Zacha Monahan worst case.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Getting a Monahan isn't keeping powder dry for next year, he is very likely to get over 5million per year for 4-6 years
Could very well be but he does have the prior health issues that may soften the market
price on him. That being said 5M is probably 2M less than Lindholm

Could very well be but he does have the prior health issues that may soften the market
price on him. That being said 5M is probably 2M less than Lindholm
Wonder if DeBrusks s Dad has heard anything from Drai on other teams.

Mr. Make-Believe

Domi had a slow start last year. Then quickly became a massive fan fave for them, producing like mad, while showing some balls. He's one of maybe 5 Leafs the fans absolutely want back.
Yeah I hate Domi as much as anyone… but I get this. Second line C for second line money. PIA to play against. Was arguably the Leafs most consistent forward in the playoffs this year.

Checks a lot of boxes.

Mr. Make-Believe

They need to upgrade C for next year. Even if its Monahan to give you
Coyle Zacha Monahan worst case.
I’d be for a Monahan addition. I could see him and Marchand getting along really well.

A second line guy for the right $? It’s a smart play… Even if Monahan wouldn’t be my first choice otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad