Boston Bruins 2024-25 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005
I don’t know. Maybe. Maybe not.

People act like C is the only issue the team had this season. But they were slow up front. There was no pushback when other teams got rough. No size or board presence in the top six. Relied on one player for offense. They had little scoring from the blueline. And they didn’t have an ass-kicker on the defense either.

If a #1C isn’t available, why overpay to put someone in that spot when it’s out of their depth? Why not work on the myriad of other deficiencies with players who fit the role and paygrade?
What killed this team repeatedly was an inability to finish in close and put the puck in the net. Whether that’s a center or a wing does not matter to me, but it would have spelled the end of Florida. That said, I acknowledge that we have to get better at the dot.

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005

People act like C is the only issue the team had this season. But they were slow up front. There was no pushback when other teams got rough. No size or board presence in the top six. Relied on one player for offense. They had little scoring from the blueline. And they didn’t have an ass-kicker on the defense either.

If a #1C isn’t available, why overpay to put someone in that spot when it’s out of their depth? Why not work on the myriad of other deficiencies with players who fit the role and paygrade?

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005
Arguable on others, but Ullmarks deal is not a year to long. It was very well timed. Never would have intentionally planned on them being free agents at the same time.

And ultimately when signing guys all you have to offer is money , length and ntc/nmc. Trying to get anyone to sign requires a competitive deal in all 3 areas
What a wonderful problem to have, that we want to trade our Vezina trophy winning goaltender to free up a paltry $5 million in cap space. $5M is budget dust. Unless Bussi is the second coming, a possibility I do not dismiss out of hand, we are one bad groin pull away from a Zamboni driver replacement. While I see the value in having 5 million more to spend, keep your fingers crossed because that flexibility comes at a price. As a Bruins fan since 1967, I appreciate the irony that once upon a time we owned the rights to both Bernie Parent and Ken Dryden. The 70s would’ve been a very different time in my life if we had kept one or both of them, even if never to play either one of them in a single game. In the words of the great philosopher, Randy Travis, “Hindsight’s 20-20, but I am nearly going blind…”

Last edited:

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I love how so many articles say something like…

The Bruins have a big decision to make with JDB.

No, the ball is in JDB’s court.

He has the decision to make, and I agree entirely…he won’t be back.
The decision might be his to make. Maybe.

But....

if the Bruins don't make him an offer, isn't it then their decision?

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
The decision might be his to make. Maybe.

But....

if the Bruins don't make him an offer, isn't it then their decision?

Sure.

But, I can’t imagine a scenario where the Bruins are the only ones to make an offer.

Once a second offer happens, it’s really up to Jake.

Reactions: Gordoff

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
From Post-Game Talk: - 9 AM May 19th, 2024 - Garbage Bag Day at Warrior Arena

Zacha on if the team needs more help at the center position…

“I think the team did a pretty good job. I think going into the season, I think no one expected us to be where we were, and I think you know, Charlie Coyle and [Morgan Geekie] in playoffs, you know, playing center, I think they took over the role, and I think they did a great job. So, it's always nice to get help and stuff. That's something that I feel like the management is going to look into this offseason. But I think there's a lot of good things that we can build off of this offseason to be an even better team next year, which is really exciting.”

With Zacha most likely moving to wing, Zacha and Pastrnak need a center that is great at zone entries and can distribute the puck. Who is that center in free agency?

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009
Been thinking about Duchene and Toffoli:

Zacha - Duchene - Pastrnak
Marchand - Coyle/Poitras - Toffoli

I think it could be cheaper than Lindholm/Stephenson, flexibility to improve defense and some nasty forecheck from third and fourth lines.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA

I think it could be cheaper than Lindholm/Stephenson, flexibility to improve defense and some nasty forecheck from third and fourth lines.
Toffoli is definitely someone they should target. I was pissed when we didn't sign him 4 years ago, and he outperformed his contract. I'd go Guentzel and then Toffoli on my list of wingers. I suspect that the Bruins will just re-sign DeBrusk and then go spend on a Center, perhaps Lindholm, depending on the price.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
It would take a hell of a lot more to get Brady and I mean a hell of a lot more. A ullmark for Chychrun deal makes sense as both will be pending FA and salaries are pretty close Chychrun can play both sides as well and both players have been rumored to be moved this off season but imo I don’t see these two clubs making any type of an impactful deal with them being in the same division.
I thought chychrin still had a few years left on his deal. Thinking about it more I realize I’m not close on Tkatchuk. Trading your captain you need to blow the fans away with the return and my offer certianly wouldn’t do it.

It's not so much what's missing in your proposals (although, one can argue that the Bruins need to add to acquire Tkachuck) as much as the motivation for Ottawa trading him. He's only 24 years old. He's potted more than 30 goals in each of his last three seasons while adding about 40 assists in each. He's also signed for four more years at $8.2 million per. This production makes his contract valuable. The other thing that must be considered is whether other teams offer a better return for Ottawa. My guess is that several can. If he had a year or two left on his deal and the team performed the way they did this season, the motivation might be different. They might see a need and/or Tkachuk might want out to play for a winner. However, his NMC kicks in after the 2024-25 season, giving him far more control over his potential destination. It's a good thought, but the likelihood is beyond remote at this time.
It was more on the basis of if the rumours were true that he wants out kind of thing. But my offer really isn’t strong enough.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Toffoli will likely get more cash than Debrusk, maybe not as much term . (If not more it will be very close)

Duschene I love as a player, and desperately wanted to steal out of Nashville 3 years ago before he rebounded when there were rumors he was available. He might be cheaper than Stephenson, but probably fairly close.

Thing is if you sign those 2 year are getting really old, and really entering the risky years with both. And i fully expect both to be looking for their last contract so locking in for 4 years, maybe 5

Last edited:

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
Going to be an interesting offseason:

1. To start, I'll steal someone's ideal 3rd line going into 24-25.....
Freddy-Coyle-Geekie
That's an amazing 3rd line and I'd pencil that in today if I were Bruins management.
2. Marchy-XXXX-Pasta
That to me is 2/3 of your #1 line going into 24-25. I'm on the Lindholm train. Sign that guy
3. Maroon-Beecher-Brazeau is my 4th line going into the season. Much like our 3rd line, extremely heavy to play against. Give Maroon a full 82 games healthy to see what he can do.
4. Zacha-XXXX-XXXX forms your 2nd line. Few interesting options here.
A) Sign Stamkos and run with Poitras as your 2C. Zacha-Poitras-Stamkos
B) Sign Reinhart and run with Zacha-Reinhart-Lysell/Poitras/Merkulov

5. I don't see our defense needing anything from an offseason overhaul, I'd consider bringing back Forbort(1.5) at a reduced rate
Lohrei-McAvoy
Lindholm-Carlo
Wortherspoon-Peeke
Forbort

6. It's been a great ride, but it's time to turn the keys over to Swayman and trade Ullmark. I'd take a 1st in 2024 and a 3rd in 2025. Sign Bussi and give him the chance to win the backup role plus I'd sign a veteran backup incase Bussi can't handle the show. Someone like Talbot would be interesting.

Lindholm- 6x6.0
Reinhart- 6x8.0/Stamkos- 2x6.0
Swayman- 8x6.5
Maroon- 1x1.0
Bussi- 1x1.5
Forbort 1x1.0

Fairly tight against the cap what a difference our top6 would be year over year. Best 3rd line in hockey and our defense in incredible.

• Love
Reactions: Gordoff and SPV

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Toffoli will likely get more cash than Debrusk, maybe not as much term . (If not more it will be very close)

Duschene I love as a player, and desperately wanted to steal out of Nashville 3 years ago before he rebounded when there were rumors he was available. He might be cheaper than Stephenson, but probably fairly close.

Thing is if you sign those 2 year are getting really old, and really entering the risky years with both. And i fully expect both to be looking for their last contract so locking in for 4 years, maybe 5

Might rather Toffoli at 6.25 or so for 3 years than Jake at 5.5/5.75 for 6 or more.

Of course, once the bidding starts they each could end up with a million more than what I suggested above.

bp14

Mar 17, 2022

I love this post.

Without a doubt 1C is a huge need. Predominantly because Pasta needs a guy to help him get to that next level, which I think he has. But you can’t force that guy into your system. If the right player isn’t there, plug another hole.

Get more physical on D. Add more speed up front. Get a guy with real edge. There are plenty of problems to solve.

BruinsJoe

Sep 29, 2020
This is what I hope it happens in offseason.

1. Lysell makes team.
2. Bussi makes team
3 linus traded for a 1st round pick.
4 sign E. Lindholm
5 sign tyler bertuzzi
6 sign jake .( leaf killer)
What you guys think?
Not Bertz...
NHL hit stats are a joke. Watched a lot of him last 3 years. Absolutely more physical than Zacha.
Most players are more physical than Zacha...and he completely disapear in playoffs. Stephensen is way more physical than Zacha

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Going to be an interesting offseason:

1. To start, I'll steal someone's ideal 3rd line going into 24-25.....
Freddy-Coyle-Geekie
That's an amazing 3rd line and I'd pencil that in today if I were Bruins management.
2. Marchy-XXXX-Pasta
That to me is 2/3 of your #1 line going into 24-25. I'm on the Lindholm train. Sign that guy
3. Maroon-Beecher-Brazeau is my 4th line going into the season. Much like our 3rd line, extremely heavy to play against. Give Maroon a full 82 games healthy to see what he can do.
4. Zacha-XXXX-XXXX forms your 2nd line. Few interesting options here.
A) Sign Stamkos and run with Poitras as your 2C. Zacha-Poitras-Stamkos
B) Sign Reinhart and run with Zacha-Reinhart-Lysell/Poitras/Merkulov

5. I don't see our defense needing anything from an offseason overhaul, I'd consider bringing back Forbort(1.5) at a reduced rate
Lohrei-McAvoy
Lindholm-Carlo
Wortherspoon-Peeke
Forbort

6. It's been a great ride, but it's time to turn the keys over to Swayman and trade Ullmark. I'd take a 1st in 2024 and a 3rd in 2025. Sign Bussi and give him the chance to win the backup role plus I'd sign a veteran backup incase Bussi can't handle the show. Someone like Talbot would be interesting.

Lindholm- 6x6.0
Reinhart- 6x8.0/Stamkos- 2x6.0
Swayman- 8x6.5
Maroon- 1x1.0
Bussi- 1x1.5
Forbort 1x1.0

Fairly tight against the cap what a difference our top6 would be year over year. Best 3rd line in hockey and our defense in incredible.

I agree on the bottom of the lineup, the defense, and the goaltending, it should be this, more or less.

Frederic-Coyle-Geekie
Maroon-Beecher-Brazeau
Lauko

Lohrei-Mac
LIndholm-Carlo
Wotherspoon-Peeke

Sway

The top 6 is the puzzle. I've got Pasta, Zacha, Marchand; but I'd like three different pieces in there. Could Lysell or Poitras be that guy? Maybe, but I feel like Matt needs some more conditioning. I like Stephenson & Bertuzzi the most; but if we have an IN with Lindholm, I'd be fine with him over Stephenson. Could Ullmark land us Danault or Mittelstadt? If so, that's perfect; but I'm not sure if that works for LA or Colorado. If not, then I think you have to put Zacha back at center and sign another FA wing; but then like you said, we're really getting up against the cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad