Prospect Info: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
The more I think about it, the more confident I am that Helenius will be the pick (assuming nothing crazy happens in the first 10 picks).

Helenius is a smart, well-skating center who plays a good all-around game. With the center prospect pool as barren as it is, and especially the departure of McLeod, there's a real gap in that position. Unironically, I think a concern that Fitz and co might have with Helenius is that a potential future center depth of Hughes-Hischier-Helenius is on the smaller side. But that being said, there's still a ton of potential with Helenius given his intelligence and ability read plays as they develop.

Similarly, I'd be thrilled with MBN, especially as he's more chaotic and has the better shot than Helenius. Both very talented players and I'll be happy with either of them, but at least at this point, I think Helenius is the guy.

Catton has to be incredibly high on the Devils list, but I really doubt he's still on the board by #10.

Some potential later-round players that I really like are:

Hiroki Gojsic - Forward, Kelowna Rockets (WHL)
Mac Swanson - Forward, Fargo Force (USHL)
Justin Poirier - RW, Baie-Comeau Drakkar (QMJHL) -- he's already been mentioned above
John Whipple - LD, USNTDP (USHL) -- and not just because he's an NJ guy
Kieron Walton - C/LW, Sudbury Wolves (OHL)
Ilya Nabokov - G, Metallurg Magnitogorsk (KHL)

Wait... you're liking a GOALIE???

Oh wait, it was @StevenToddIves that had goalie angst.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
The more I think about it, the more confident I am that Helenius will be the pick (assuming nothing crazy happens in the first 10 picks).

Helenius is a smart, well-skating center who plays a good all-around game. With the center prospect pool as barren as it is, and especially the departure of McLeod, there's a real gap in that position. Unironically, I think a concern that Fitz and co might have with Helenius is that a potential future center depth of Hughes-Hischier-Helenius is on the smaller side. But that being said, there's still a ton of potential with Helenius given his intelligence and ability read plays as they develop.

Similarly, I'd be thrilled with MBN, especially as he's more chaotic and has the better shot than Helenius. Both very talented players and I'll be happy with either of them, but at least at this point, I think Helenius is the guy.

Catton has to be incredibly high on the Devils list, but I really doubt he's still on the board by #10.

Justin Poirier - RW, Baie-Comeau Drakkar (QMJHL) -- he's already been mentioned above

Helenius:

(Yes, I know, insightful.)

I’m on Team Mac Swanson, water bug go!

Also Équipe Poirier.

Is Nabokov Swiss? No? Then we aren’t drafting him. (We never draft Russian goalies and they will continue not to draft them to be annoying.)

Last edited:

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
JOHN WHIPPLE IS A DEVILS FAN! THIS IS NOT A DRILL!

IMG_7156.jpeg

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Poirier sounds like a Stankoven type
He's not. Stankoven has better all around skill, and was elite in both hockey IQ and compete level. Poirier is a better shooter for certain and he's more physical, but I'd give every other category to Stankoven.

In Stankoven's draft year, I raved about the kid and considered him a slam-dunk 1st round pick, so I've always been a fan. I certainly like Poirier, but I think a team would be certainly over-reaching probability if they drafted him in the 1st round.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
He was a player I have liked for about a month now, I hope to god NJ finds a way to draft him.
NJ will have one shot to draft Poirier, that 3rd round pick (I think it's #74 overall).

Poirier is likely to go probably in the #50-#70 range in my opinion, because although many teams will be scared off by the 5'8/meh-skating combo, he scored 50+ goals in the Q and that is saying a lot. Either way, I don't see him getting to Round 4.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

First off, it is TERRIFIC to hear from you. Are you a lawyer yet?

I agree on Helenius. He has to be the odds-on favorite if he falls to #10, and anyone who can't tell he's going to be a heck of an NHLer is, in my humble opinion, smoking something still not legal in Denver.

But if Helenius is gone I can see Fitzgerald going with Nygard. Also we should mention the LD -- I think Silayev and Dickinson will certainly be gone by #10, but if Buium falls I think Fitzgerald would have to consider him.

In regards to your sleeper list -- thanks! I hope you liked the Poirier write-up and Gojsic is already on my list of LWs to write up. I'll add Swanson, though I was saving him if I was going to do a list of "deep sleepers". He's a good player, for sure.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2024 Draft Profile:

RW Kasper Pikkarainen, TPS U20, FIN JR.

When a forward can't put up PPG numbers in Finnish juniors despite a sizable size advantage, he tends to get virtually ignored by much of the draft community. Personally, I initially watched Pikkarainen because he's the son of Ilkka Pikkarainen, whom I remembered from his brief cup of coffee in the NHL with the Devils way back in 2009-10. And I found a lot of things about Kasper Pikkarainen which lead me to believe there may be some very interesting potential.

First off, it's important to note that despite Pikkarainen's man-size (6'3-195) and good strength, he's one of the youngest players in the 2024 draft with an August 2006 birthday. He's still 17. Also, he has that combination of skating and size which cannot be taught. Pikkarainen has multiple plus abilities in his tool kit -- very soft hands, very good mobility, a hard shot. His passing vision is tough to gauge because he's just saw raw -- I've seen him make high-end passes, but I've also seen him make poor and rushed decisions with the puck.

Pikkarainen is not a proactively physical player, but I'd say he's on the physical side and we might see this improve. I've seen him overpower defenders two and three years older, and I think once he realizes how strong he has the capacity to become he'll assert himself more in that respect.

Similarly, though I'd say his compete level is good, his hockey IQ is tough to get a finger on. Although he is an NHL legacy, he plays with a degree of uncertainty as if he's often asking himself if what he's doing is the right thing to do. But again, he's also capable of some plays where, taken out of context, you'd think he will make the pros -- and his combination of skating, hands and size absolutely lends itself to that.

Though this is one of the rawer players in the draft and there's absolutely a chance he does not develop the way you want and never ends up in North America, I'd say the potential pay-off is pretty good with a player like Kasper Pikkarainen. This is definitely the type of player worth swinging for in Rounds 5-7 if he's still on the board.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2024 Draft Profile:

RW Brodie Ziemer, US-NTDP

Put simply, Brodie Ziemer is a coaches dream. He's not only one of the most versatile forwards for the 2024 NHL draft, but he is one of those players with such a high understanding of the game that he can adjust stylistically for the situation he is being utilized in. His impeccable fundamentals, high IQ and high-level compete level combine with sneaky-good offensive skills to allow him to improve any line he is assigned to whether it's the 1st or the 3rd. He's good on the PP and PK, he's good offensively and defensively. His median ranking is probably the early 3rd round, but I would certainly take him higher. To be honest, if he were a plus skater, I'd probably rank him in the late 1st.

Ziemer's skating is not bad, he can actually reach some good speeds and he has great balance and strength for an average sized (5'11-190) forward. But it's a clunky stride which costs him effectiveness in acceleration and general mobility. An NHL skating coach cleaning this up could be the difference between Ziemer making the NHL as a bottom 6 guy with offensive pop or hitting his ceiling as a player who can be slotted up regularly to a 2nd line role. Either way, I think he's a value pick anywhere past the top 40 or so picks because his chances of making the NHL as a regular are, in my estimation, extremely high.

Ziemer is always in the right place and position and always playing off his line mates. He's a ferocious forechecker and backchecker, he knows when to look for open ice or a seam and knows when to put his head down and crash creases. He's always aware of his defensive responsibilities and always working hard on the entire 200-foot ice surface. If he's on a top line, he's smart enough to simplify his game into a role of forechecking and net-front havoc. If he's on a 3rd line, he'll make himself available and find open ice to become a passing option for his best tool, which is a very good shot. He's also a good passer, though he's more efficient than creative. Ziemer is also a good puck-handler, though not the flashiest guy you'll see. It's tough to find anything about Brodie Ziermer's game which is not good, and it also helps that this is a kid who brings it every single shift.

Ultimately, I love this player but just wish he were a high-end skater, which would really bring him to a much higher level. Either way, he's just a smart, hard-working and versatile kid who, in my mind, is probably a top 50 player in the 2024 draft class.

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019

IMG_3292.gif

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey

Really don't agree with a few points he makes in the thread.

1. Catton has the speed/agility to keep up with Bratt Hughes, from all I've read and some video I've seen he is not an elite skater
2. Devil's shouldn't draft a dman, LHD is absolutely a need and in the event Buium or Dickinson are there they would be extremely hard to pass up

I think he's right about Catton having a offensive ceiling near the top of the draft but I think our team needs a lot of different elements other than elite scoring/playmaking ability

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
My new ranking of guys I want based on a minimal amount of research and highlight watching that no one should care about:

1. Buium
2. Dickinson
3. Brandsegg-Nygård
4. Iginla
5. Catton
6. Helenius
7. Sennecke
8. Greentree
9. Eiserman
10. Silayev
Silayev isnt my top choice at all but he def-ly better pick than Greentree and Eiserman. He will add a lot more positional play without the puck, physicality and speed.

Sennecke... I didnt decided yet who will be more useful. Silayev isnt great with the puck but he knows what he should do and how to use his best sides of his game.
Anyway at least one player(two-three more likely) from your top-6 should be available(6 players + 4 players 1 Celebrini, 2 Demidov, 3 Levshunov, 4 Lindstrom are automatically top-9 picks). So who cares about Sennecke or Silayev.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Silayev isnt my top choice at all but he def-ly better pick than Greentree and Eiserman. He will add a lot more positional play without the puck, physicality and speed.

Sennecke... I didnt decided yet who will be more useful. Silayev isnt great with the puck but he knows what he should do and how to use his best sides of his game.
Anyway at least one player(two-three more likely) from your top-6 should be available(6 players + 4 players 1 Celebrini, 2 Demidov, 3 Levshunov, 4 Lindstrom are automatically top-9 picks). So who cares about Sennecke or Silayev.
IMG_1847.jpeg

His production looks pretty good when you look at the rest of his team. Compared to how Tij looks on his team:

IMG_1848.jpeg

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
Cant believe he will not be picked in top-5. So rare type of a talent with skill.
i agree, i think he goes early. that said, there probably is an outside chance his med reports come back uncertain enough that it spooks some teams (and perhaps others would be more set on going D anyway). the word is hes supposed to be fine and not require surgery, but he still isnt fully healthy
View attachment 874417

His production looks pretty good when you look at the rest of his team. Compared to how Tij looks on his team:

View attachment 874418
some important context here is kelowna generally tried to shift cristall and iginla separately, so cristall and szturc saw plenty of time together. and it makes theyd have very high numbers when you consider that szturc is a double overager and cristall cheats as much as humanly possible for offense (not to mention theyre both more pp influenced as well). iginla's totals should be getting compared to someone like fellow draft eligible gojsic's who he saw most of his time with

beyond stats, while i think most of us have questions about silayev's long term upside and in particular puck play, its hard to deny how easy it is to project a 6'7" hyper mobile shutdown option to an nhl roster. greentree, while supremely skilled and with great vision, abounds with junior habits and tendencies that make his outlook much murkier even if he might be considered a more exciting pick. plus, looking at where the team stands today and projects to be long term, i dont think its a stretch to say silayev would be a much more beneficial addition

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
View attachment 874417

View attachment 874418
Greentree is a big player with below average skating who is dominating in junior league and playing very winger...ish game. Im not a fan of his game. At least if we compare him with other available players. Of course he is good top 15-20 player to pick. I just prefer more mobile players with better compete level and two way game for top-15-20 pick. For top-10? There are better players with higher floor higher ceiling.

And Im not a huge fan of production in junior leagues as a marker of good game. Even in adult leagues. There were tonns of examples that production mean nothing. If player is good and smart for NHL he will be good there, no matter how many points he produced before, because he could produce or not produce because of partners, role, maturity, etc.

Last edited:

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
i agree, i think he goes early. that said, there probably is an outside chance his med reports come back uncertain enough that it spooks some teams (and perhaps others would be more set on going D anyway). the word is hes supposed to be fine and not require surgery, but he still isnt fully healthy
I truly believe if top-5 teams will skip him because of his injuries, than 6-9 teams will pick him with "he is too good with his unique combo of skills and strengths and we are ready for risk" attitude.

If he is available for 6th pick, I would try to trade with Arizona. I know this trades are rare but it worth to try.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
not Devils related but do you guys think Lindstrom or Demidov will be available for the Habs pick?

Huh, usually he dumps on players having a "so so" worlds. I'm quite surprised.
None. I think Celebrini is number one, Demidov is number two, Levshunov is number three and Lindstrom is number four.

Button has Helenius as his 3rd rated prospect in the draft.

Okay. Button is random. Sometimes I think he is building his opinion on one-two games.

Last edited:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Button has Helenius as his 3rd rated prospect in the draft.

Iginla at 4.

"Also making a big rise within the top 10 is Kelowna Rockets forward Tij Iginla, who rises from No. 10 to No. 4.

The 17-year-old had 47 goals and 84 points in 64 games with Kelowna this season, and added nine goals and 15 points in 11 WHL playoff games.

“Tij drives play,” said Button. “He’s a difference maker. He makes teams better; he makes players around him better. He can play with any player. He’s so smart, IQ off the charts. And you know what? I think he’s only scratching the surface.”

• Love
Reactions: My3Sons and evnted

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2024 Draft Profile:

LW Ondrej Kos, Ilves FIN U20, FIN JR.

Like many Czech players these days, Kos decided to play his amateur hockey in Scandinavia, known for a slightly higher level of conditioning, coaching and competition. It did not take him long to work himself into the good graces of his new teammates and coaches. Kos is an extremely hard-working player whose calling cards are relentless forechecking and advanced defensive play. But although his offensive game has not developed as quickly as his 200-foot game, there is a lot about Kos which makes you think he has some real potential to also be asolid complimentary scorer.

What strikes one immediately about Kos is that he skates fast, plays fast and thinks fast. He's an excellent skater whose finest traits are probably his intangibles. His compete level is certainly high-end, he's an absolutely dogged competitor who works his tail off regardless of situation or score. He's also a smart kid with a very high understanding of the game and commitment to the team ethic. This kid is so quick and always anticipating, he just wears down defenders on the forecheck and pretty much the entire opposition in the defensive zone. He just seems like he's always on the puck and you can't escape him no matter how hard you try.

Kos is a physical player despite being one of the skinniest players in the draft class at 6'2-155 or thereabouts. All prospects will gain body weight through age and the weight room, but you wonder with such a reed-thin frame how much a kid like Kos can fill out. What I will say is he's stronger than he looks. I'd actually rate his core strength as good and again, he's pretty fearless. He's actually very difficult to knock off the puck.

Offensively, Kos doesn't wow you but he's pretty good across the board and his smarts and heart give you the impression there is room to grow. He's not a creative passer or high-end dangler by any means, but he's simplified his game to the point where he's efficient in both respects and this is not a player to make mistakes with the puck. His shooting is okay as well, but most of his scoring opportunities come from anticipating the play and always driving to the net.

Kos is generally ranked in the 3rd/4th Round range, and he's a very good pick there. It's easy to see him on an NHL 3rd line and PK someday, and if he can even get up to 6'2-175? With his skating and tenaciousness, just look out. Even if not, his body type could scare off some teams and drop him to rounds 5-7, where Ondrej Kos would certainly be an outstanding value pick with much higher odds than one might expect of becoming an NHL regular.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad