Speculation: 2024 Off-Season Thread

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Thays pretty much what I said lol
I just re-read your 1st point and see that now, thank you.

Regardless, sad that it took injuries/callups from the A and then the trade deadline additions to make everyone (excluding Hagel and Kucherov) to wakeup. Only two really good stretches of the season came after those facts.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
You know, looking at the series and how things went it gets you thinking about what happened toward the end of the season and the compounding problems it caused, and the few bright spots it let shine:

- Fleury was a much bigger loss than expected, not because of his talent level, but more for who was behind him in waiting. Really hurt to lose him, hurt even more in the way we lost him, and having someone you can really trust to eat at least 15 a night in the playoffs is huge.
- Duclair really left a bad taste in the mouth. 2 points and a -3 for a player that was the needed depth scoring this team leaned on down the stretch. There is a lack of killer instinct from him and it showed in a big way, especially as the games against FLA got heavier - he was glued to the bench. While this team needs depth scoring, it needs it for the entirety of the season.
- Jeannot, I don't know what else needs to be said but we go from 5 picks and extending him for 2.3? 2.5? only to see him play 10, 8, 10, and 7 minutes in the Florida series including sitting him for a game. He did nothing to move the needle or give you the impression we're "hard to play against". He can't skate, he can't seem to make any plays, he had two opportunities coming down the slot last night that went straight through him. Waste of a roster spot. At least Patty, Perry and whoever could give you a good banger shift, generate a few shots, and keep depth on the other team gasping for air.
- Lilleberg/Crozier/Chaffee - actually very impressed by the 3 of them. They had some big tasks taking on a very deep Panthers team and they got abused in spots as 3 kids are going to against a deep team of vets, but overall I think they played very well and really give you something to look forward to with them.
- They still need to find someone that can split work with Vasy. They've were in such a bad spot at the start of the year that they once again ran the brakes off of him. He didn't even get rehab starts, they threw him straight into the crease and it showed for the first month. Its also very clearly the MO of all these teams to throw junk on net from a distance and without anyone willing to do some real shot blocking and not give up open lanes to throw pucks by, it'll continue to be a problem.
- I really wish I knew where Perbix went wrong and when he turned into a pillow.

They might be a "dime a dozen" but they certainly don't cost a dime.
He was off most of the season, but man when he got moved to the Left side....holy hell that was terrible. Guy had no idea how to play on his off hand.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I want to keep Cirelli, as a pure luxury item. It's hard to find players you can trust to put out there in high pressure situations. But if there is a good offer out there for him on a top 4 defenseman, its worth taking it. Who that top 4 d is? Who knows? The one person I would like to see if there is any chance of grabbing would be Jamie Oleksiak. 2 more years at $4.6M AAV, plays both sides, can eat minutes, blocks shots, plays like Cernak. Would be good to pair on the first or second pair with Sergachev or Hedman.

The thing with moving Cirelli is the ability to look for a player with a bit of term on them. Calgary might move Rasmus Andersson, depending on whatever the f*** they are planning on doing?

Reactions: Flat Ronnie

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I want to keep Cirelli, as a pure luxury item. It's hard to find players you can trust to put out there in high pressure situations. But if there is a good offer out there for him on a top 4 defenseman, its worth taking it. Who that top 4 d is? Who knows? The one person I would like to see if there is any chance of grabbing would be Jamie Oleksiak. 2 more years at $4.6M AAV, plays both sides, can eat minutes, blocks shots, plays like Cernak. Would be good to pair on the first or second pair with Sergachev or Hedman.

The thing with moving Cirelli is the ability to look for a player with a bit of term on them. Calgary might move Rasmus Andersson, depending on whatever the f*** they are planning on doing?
I don't often disagree with you but this is one of those times. I'm with Sky on this one. Cirelli is a luxury due to his defensive prowess. For $6 million we can get a good defender and that's what we need. You're not wrong about Cirelli but after the Matt Dumba experience I'm ready to see better talent on the back end

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Or Gudas + from Anaheim, we don't need long term. Cap flexibility is key, Gudas with 2 years left is perfect.

Cirelli slots nicely on a young one-dimensional Anaheim team with capspace.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I don't often disagree with you but this is one of those times. I'm with Sky on this one. Cirelli is a luxury due to his defensive prowess. For $6 million we can get a good defender and that's what we need. You're not wrong about Cirelli but after the Matt Dumba experience I'm ready to see better talent on the back end
But I am saying trade him for a good defender?

Reactions: Flat Ronnie

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Or Gudas + from Anaheim, we don't need long term. Cap flexibility is key, Gudas with 2 years left is perfect.

I mean I'm not going to start throwing out names, but I'll definitely say Gudas is not one I'd be happy with. I've seen enough stupid ass plays by him over the years against us to not want him back. At all.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
16 teams is half the league. I think the bottom teams on his "no" list and the top teams will not trade for him so it's not easy.
Regardless, he can, and should, be moved. It probably takes a mid pick or something else small, but clearing his 2 million is all that matters.

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
Good series, dissapointed outcome, few pucks that were not cleared out of our zone and we are going to play golf.
Resign Stamkos,trade SHeary, Jeannot, get some reliable D, but from other side I cant say much bad wordfs about Crozir, Lilleberg, guys are just inexperienced, I think they could and should stay, trade Perbix,get some top 6 F, and get some Syr guys at bottom 6 who can grind and play (yes please Groshev please) and we can have good chances next season.

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
we lost 1st roubnd last season, Kuch wentr back on ice and got 140 points... we lost 1st round again,does it means that 250 points for Kuch next season is confirmned?

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Just depressing that this organization under Yzerman/BriseBois (with Murray as head of amateur scouting) couldn't draft high end D well at all. Sucks that Gudas is the best they've drafted post Hedman

Last edited:
Reactions: DMB06 and Peacefool

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
we lost 1st roubnd last season, Kuch wentr back on ice and got 140 points... we lost 1st round again,does it means that 250 points for Kuch next season is confirmned?
What it probably means is if this shit happens again he's going to request a trade. JBB needs to make this his best offseason, what he does in the next few months can either put the final nail in the coffin of this core, or set us up for another 4-5 year run.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
r/ Detroit is saying the 5 year plan with Stevie Y is over and he should be canned

I'm like, eh, I'd take him back here :D (Dumb dead wing fans)
I think if he gets fired, he will just retire.

He was still somewhat living in detroit when he was here. And his wife never did leave. I think that's ultimately why he stepped down.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL

Gudas for jeannot and perbix would be ideal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad